TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MasiisaM
What spacers are used on the spectrum servos.?what did I miss in the instructions?
2 or 2.5mm spacers for Spektrum servos
Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Built my stock car today between heats at the races. Surprised how light it is with little effort. Went with an RS Gen2 instead of and RSX and put aluminum cvds on with shorty servo and it weighs 1499 ready to run. Won't get to try it out until next weekend though.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bobby Z
2 or 2.5mm spacers for Spektrum servos
Thank you!
Old 12-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The servo spacer chart is available on the TLR site in the 22 2.0 manual.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

just curious

so for the guys that used to run AE , this buggy is a lot better box stock?

seems like a lot of people like this buggy.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
just curious

My laps times aren't any faster, but I think this car is easier to drive. The way it steers into a corner is more predictable. I don't regret buying this car it's great.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

just curious

I'm going to need another time or two to get a true feel for the car. On the same track layout with my B5 was faster and more consistent. High bite clay with slicks. One thing I did notice with every 3.0 yesterday from sportsman to mod was that the car would lift up the rear inside wheel in the turns. We started playing with setup and it got better. I didn't see this issue at all on the low/med bite tracks. We will have to get a better slick setup for the next time at the smoothie track. Mo being there to help was a plus. It will be fun running the car in the future😎.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

just curious

I thought the build/fit and finish was better than my T5m. I have not driven a B5m to compare against, but I'm not disappointed in my purchase. Quite the opposite.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Spektrum servo spacing

Originally Posted by MasiisaM
What spacers are used on the spectrum servos.?what did I miss in the instructions?
I was told 2mm for the S6270 low profile HV servo new from Spektrum. I had zero spacers in my 2.0 for the same servo. I know the shock tower mount is the same for both the 2.0 and 3.0 so I thought the spacing would be the same. I installed 1mm and things look fine. 2mm put my aluminum servo arm really close to the rack.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by Rabidtrout
I thought the build/fit and finish was better than my T5m. I have not driven a B5m to compare against, but I'm not disappointed in my purchase. Quite the opposite.
I have a b5m lite and now the 3.0. Both cars are very good. I'll give my pros and cons. Had my first race with the 3.0 yesterday. Overall impressions are it's a great car. Turns excellent. We had 4 3.0's at the track yesterday and we all wanted a little more rear grip. We run super soft slicks primes being the choice for many. Out of the box it is better than the b5m. My car was all stock and threw 2 qualifiers I was sitting 2nd out of about 30. I ended up finishing 6th in the A. Had the lead on the first lap and of course got taken out and went back to last. So 6th wasn't to bad. Comparing it to the b5m they at least to me drive pretty similar. A few thing I don't like about the losi is the front wheel nuts. They are pain to put on with my losi 7mm nut driver. My diff is slightly gritty. Not terrible by any means, but for what ever reason the associated diff seems to last forever. This isn't a losi thing but it drives me absolutely nuts we have so many wheels offsets. B5 rear wheels do fit, but they don't fit great, they have play and it seems you have to use a axle spacer to make the nut fully tighten. The manual also needs some work, it gives no slipper adjustment. Not a big deal for most racers, but for new guys they may have issues. Overall I have to give the tlr crew a job well done. Out of the box the car is excellent and seems to need no hop ups. Only thing I wanna see is a brass anti squat block
Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
I have a b5m lite and now the 3.0. Both cars are very good. I'll give my pros and cons. Had my first race with the 3.0 yesterday. Overall impressions are it's a great car. Turns excellent. We had 4 3.0's at the track yesterday and we all wanted a little more rear grip. We run super soft slicks primes being the choice for many. Out of the box it is better than the b5m. My car was all stock and threw 2 qualifiers I was sitting 2nd out of about 30. I ended up finishing 6th in the A. Had the lead on the first lap and of course got taken out and went back to last. So 6th wasn't to bad. Comparing it to the b5m they at least to me drive pretty similar. A few thing I don't like about the losi is the front wheel nuts. They are pain to put on with my losi 7mm nut driver. My diff is slightly gritty. Not terrible by any means, but for what ever reason the associated diff seems to last forever. This isn't a losi thing but it drives me absolutely nuts we have so many wheels offsets. B5 rear wheels do fit, but they don't fit great, they have play and it seems you have to use a axle spacer to make the nut fully tighten. The manual also needs some work, it gives no slipper adjustment. Not a big deal for most racers, but for new guys they may have issues. Overall I have to give the tlr crew a job well done. Out of the box the car is excellent and seems to need no hop ups. Only thing I wanna see is a brass anti squat block

I find it interesting that you guys were trying to find more rear grip. As I have the totally opposite experience with mine yesterday. The track I ran on was not a slick track my any means so tires could come into play as well. I went stiffer on the rear spring to get the car to unlock a little bit more and rotate. But it still was super planted in the rear and it took a little effort to get it to stop pushing.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
You can add rear grip without the weight. Try moving the hubs forward. You can add the optional axle spacer to move the CV pivot inboard and this will generate more rear grip as well.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Yeah I'm gonna start tuning next race. I always try kit setups first and I must say it's good, just need that little extra grip. Only tuning I did yesterday was ride height changes. I played with 24 all the way around to 21 all the way around. I settled on 23
Old 12-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Talking

Okay, another report for the TLR Forums. I've built the car, assembled with all new electronics, and attend a race, now it's time to report... Here's my thoughts:

BUILD:
The car assembled very smoothly and I'm pleased with how well everything pieced together. Note, I didn't have ANY stripped screws; however, I was very cautious only using manual drivers and letting the screw rest to reduce temperature build up.
If I had to complain, the packaged screws/parts inside of the labeled bags seemed sporadic. This being the first kit I've ever built new, that may be normal. After bag "A" I realized I should open everything in the entire bag and lay it out, problem solved, no biggie.
I noticed where some folks complained about the shocks having trouble. TLR has one of, if not the smoothest shocks on the market in my opinion. I've rebuilt these things hundreds of times without having a leaking shock. I took the o-rings and soaked them in silicone shock oil while I worked on assembling the rest of the shocks (orings, caps, spring collar, etc). All four shocks went together very smoothly, again, with precision and no leaks.

TESTING/TRACK TIME:
Over the weekend I was able to take the car out for a test drive. The track I ran at was considered to be Medium-Medium High grip. Most run an Outdoor Compound (Super Soft, Mega Soft) Indoor treaded tire (Dirt Web, Clainlink, Electron, etc), which seem to work best when they're about half worn. I had confidence in the car but wasn't sure about the kit setup since the track conditions I run on isn't really the "norm." The car is an absolute pleasure to drive. The stock setup was very impressive, however, it isn't going to be perfect for every track and every driver that gets their hands on the car.

In the past I've always caught myself "tinkering" with the cars, always making a change here or there. With this car, in practice I opted to ADD the 1mm Axle spacers for a little more rear traction. Once I had the traction I desired, I moved on to raise the front roll center. (Went from 2.5mm to 1mm shim on inner ball stud). After that, I drove the wheels of this car. I never touched another bolt or made another adjustment to the car. I came off the stand after each race saying "this is the best I've ever felt in a 2wd Buggy." As everyone else said, very stable, predictable, and controllable. You can push this car without having to be on your toes, ready to catch the rear end from stepping out. IT'S PLANTED!

CONCLUSION/COMPARISON:
I don't post much, but I'm and "avid reader" on the forums, I've read every post on this thread, most on the 22 2.0 thread, as well as several others. What I like about it, is you get an honest opinion from non-bias racers who are only looking to give their input. Mine is, if you're debating getting the car, you're making a mistake, you should've already ordered it!
I've owned several 2.0 cars and this rig, out of the box, is leaps and bounds better than my 2.0 ever was. Even with all the hop up parts, optional weight, and tips/tricks other racers recommended on the forums. For those AE guys, I'm not saying it's a million times better but confidence behind the wheel can go a long way, and behind the wheel of the 22 3.0 I felt much more confident that the car was going to go where I tell it to and be consistent throughout a run. No hop ups needed!!! I cannot think of anything this car needs to be competitive anywhere around the world!

Congrats on a great build to the entire team at TLR!! Waiting patiently to see what platform they design next!! SCT??
Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chr1s
My laps times aren't any faster, but I think this car is easier to drive. The way it steers into a corner is more predictable. I don't regret buying this car it's great.
ok I like an easy car to drive.

easier for me will mean faster.

still haven't perfected my b5 yet but it's getting there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.