TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
It will improve rear grip. How much is determined by track conditions and driving style and tires. Are you running the kit setup?
When you say driving style...what do you mean? What kind of driving style suits one or the other and or track conditions.

cheers
Old 12-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCADDICT77
When you say driving style...what do you mean? What kind of driving style suits one or the other and or track conditions.

cheers
IMO the heavier I was on the throttle leaving a corner the less I noticed the improvement. If I was smooth and let the car rotate and exit the corner without drifting slightly the more I noticed the extra grip help. I tested it back to back because it sounded ridiculous but there was an improvement.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Old 12-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

In case anyone is wondering, serpent front wheels work on the car
Old 12-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fasttrak
Compared to some of you I am slow as molasses when it comes to building these things. Everything went together pretty smoothly, first TLR kit in almost twenty years for me. I am real pleased with the front end, not as much play as the B5M I built a couple months ago, nice and smooth with little play. The shocks were a nice surprise, I like the fact they use conical compression washers opposed to o-rings, should last longer and have less weeping of silicone. I am glad I bought the front and rear low frequency spring kit, for the track I run on the stock springs are pretty soft. The only items I added to the kit for the initial build was the aluminum rear hubs, Acer Racing ceramic bearings and the Schelle slipper assembly with the 69 tooth spur gear. Looking forward to running some packs through this tomorrow.
The shock o-rings are x-rings not compression seals. Just better seals as they have two wipe surfaces per o-ring. Just did not want this to be misleading to others reading. They work really well to not leak but keep an ultra smooth shock.

Originally Posted by Frank Root
4wd wheels are a different width. As for the off-set, I am not 100% sure, we never checked since the widths are different already.
22-4 wheels will work in a pinch. As Frank stated TLR 22-4 are slightly wider but the offsets are dang close. There is a VERY small change but they fit no the car no problem. Bottom line they are different but work and the change will be ever so slight. I am running DE 22-4 wheels on my 22 3.0 right now. DE did not make there 4wd wheel as wide as the TLR wheel and the offset change is even less. Now I have common 2wd and 4wd wheels! Only need to stock one set of buggy wheels and SC wheels. Life is getting more simple!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Old 12-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

the dog bone end of the cvd is not in the out drive it to short
Old 12-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Got to drive mine for the first time today. Set the ride height at 24/24 and the only thing I changed was went to the 0 rear camber insert. I never built the diff or outdrives for this because I had an assembled mip lightweight pucks set already made from my 22 1.0. They dropped right in and the length was perfect. The only problem I had with the car was trying to get my 17.5 geared right.

First impressions of this car left a smile from ear to ear. Drove fantastic and jumped and landed even better. I ran 30wt front and rear and literally the only change was the rear roll center. Very impressed with my first outing with this car.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im waiting for the bling, trick bits and the pimp weights to come in so i can build the sumbich....
Its goin' straight to the drag strip....
Gonna take it to the Slashes,rustlers,ofnas, ecx cars in style.....Ah yeah babe
Old 12-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Damn it

Originally Posted by Lenman73
Got to drive mine for the first time today. Set the ride height at 24/24 and the only thing I changed was went to the 0 rear camber insert. I never built the diff or outdrives for this because I had an assembled mip lightweight pucks set already made from my 22 1.0. They dropped right in and the length was perfect. The only problem I had with the car was trying to get my 17.5 geared right.

First impressions of this car left a smile from ear to ear. Drove fantastic and jumped and landed even better. I ran 30wt front and rear and literally the only change was the rear roll center. Very impressed with my first outing with this car.
Damn LenMan, I thought you might stay away from the 3.0 for some radical off the wall kit. Damn!
Old 12-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

I saw it and wanted it. So what do ya do ? Lol. Pick one up Ron and come on down to the big city !
Old 12-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default On it's way

I saw it and wanted it. So what do ya do ? Lol. Pick one up Ron and come on down to the big city !
I have one coming. setting it up as a stock class. Hoping to get down soon, aftr deer season. Race on my friend.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

What gearing you ended up with?
Old 12-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

I run a slipper eliminator in stock so I settled on 72/33 for our indoor track.

Stock is huge down here Ron. 3 heats today.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vito
the dog bone end of the cvd is not in the out drive it to short
Once you set the rear camber to -1 to -2 the drive shafts should just reach into the outdrives far enough.
If you want you could install the 1mm black steel axle spacers between the axle and inner hub bearing to move the driveshaft farther into the outdrives. You will find these in the tuning parts bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.