TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
the info i have is 21.5 mm front stroke, and a 31mm rear stroke
Frank, could you please update the first post with this info and the servo spacer chart. It'd make both much easier to find. Thanks man!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:53 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tipperjackson
I don't think there wouldn't be enough room for the slipper pad. Maybe Frank will chime in. I think they would have to re-design the slipper pad to make that happen.
Exactly, we can't make an HDS 70T.

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
I was using the very top level menu: "Support"->"Setup Sheets" and then looking for the 22 3.0 in the drop-down box list. It isn't there.

But what you have said definitely works. Sorry for the confusion. TLR just needs to update that drop-down box on their site to make it complete.
I've already asked, about 3 times...
Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
Picking up the kit from my local hobby shop today. Any build tips?
Enjoy it. Its a great build. Suspension is a touch on the tight side on the front end, but I'm confident after just a couple packs it will free right up. I was very very impressed with how it went together. Excellent fit and finish
Old 12-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

you guys like to see the ups truck soon
Old 12-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

I finished my build last night. I wouldn't say I disliked this build, but I will say this was my least favorite build yet. I couldn't screw the shock shaft end in enough to get the 21.5 stroke, so I had to add an additional 2mm of spacers in the shock. I had a few issues stripping screw holes in the plastic pieces without much effort and binding in the arms. However, those didn't bother me as much as the inconsistencies in the manual. No servo spacer info. No shock stroke info. I found that info here, but that should have been in the manual. I noticed there were a couple of instruction steps that assembled the step differently that the accompanying picture, such as shocks in a different location. The kit setup sheet has red front springs listed, but mine included silver springs. I was going to buy silver springs with my kit, but I'm glad I decided against that at the last minute.

I hope the instructional manual issues are fixed for future customers. Anyway, I am excited to get this car to the track and see what it can do. I built mine with the Schelle slipper system and a 69T spur. Otherwise, everything is set up according to the build and not the included kit setup at the back of the manual.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:29 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
I finished my build last night. I wouldn't say I disliked this build, but I will say this was my least favorite build yet. I couldn't screw the shock shaft end in enough to get the 21.5 stroke, so I had to add an additional 2mm of spacers in the shock. I had a few issues stripping screw holes in the plastic pieces without much effort and binding in the arms. However, those didn't bother me as much as the inconsistencies in the manual. No servo spacer info. No shock stroke info. I found that info here, but that should have been in the manual. I noticed there were a couple of instruction steps that assembled the step differently that the accompanying picture, such as shocks in a different location. The kit setup sheet has red front springs listed, but mine included silver springs. I was going to buy silver springs with my kit, but I'm glad I decided against that at the last minute.

I hope the instructional manual issues are fixed for future customers. Anyway, I am excited to get this car to the track and see what it can do. I built mine with the Schelle slipper system and a 69T spur. Otherwise, everything is set up according to the build and not the included kit setup at the back of the manual.
The build steps are the correct, not the setup sheet in the back of the manual (which has the mistakes). Those have been updated on the web site. We made a last minute change on the front springs, to dial the car in from testing, and we weren't able to get the manual updated in time.

The servo spacing, I have no idea how I missed that, but we'll get it updated. Spacing is the same as all other TLR kits/manuals.

As far as the shock stroke. The kit setup is, install the limiters as shown in the assembly steps, then screw the eyelets all the way in. Stroke is just a number that helps when you start unscrewing the ends, not a necessity to build to the kit setup.

What screw holes did you strip? Which power driver did you use? I haven't heard any comments from team drivers, or had any issues with my car. I know the drive I use well, and which clutch settings are appropriate.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
The build steps are the correct, not the setup sheet in the back of the manual (which has the mistakes). Those have been updated on the web site. We made a last minute change on the front springs, to dial the car in from testing, and we weren't able to get the manual updated in time.

The servo spacing, I have no idea how I missed that, but we'll get it updated. Spacing is the same as all other TLR kits/manuals.

As far as the shock stroke. The kit setup is, install the limiters as shown in the assembly steps, then screw the eyelets all the way in. Stroke is just a number that helps when you start unscrewing the ends, not a necessity to build to the kit setup.

What screw holes did you strip? Which power driver did you use? I haven't heard any comments from team drivers, or had any issues with my car. I know the drive I use well, and which clutch settings are appropriate.
LOL.....I'm guessing the 400 ft lbs air ratchet.....
Old 12-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I have the front end done and I can tell you 4 screws so far have not even tightened up.
No power drivers used.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I usually don't buy kits as soon as there released and I'm not really a losi fan but decided to order this kit. Is there anywhere to buy spare parts like arms or anything ? Do parts not get released at the same time as kits ? I cant seem to find any of the spares for this car.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
I usually don't buy kits as soon as there released and I'm not really a losi fan but decided to order this kit. Is there anywhere to buy spare parts like arms or anything ? Do parts not get released at the same time as kits ? I cant seem to find any of the spares for this car.
Horizon Hobby is showing all kinds of 3.0 parts in stock
Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brian cox
Horizon Hobby is showing all kinds of 3.0 parts in stock
OK thanks , I thought they were just a distributor, I'll check them out.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein
I have the front end done and I can tell you 4 screws so far have not even tightened up.
No power drivers used.

which 4..mine are tight..
Old 12-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

No power drivers used.
Which parts? Are they the same as the last model?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

2 on the front tower, one on the top of the servo mount and one on a chassis side plastic piece.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 PM
TLRacing

2 on the front tower, one on the top of the servo mount and one on a chassis side plastic piece.
I'm guessing the tower wasn't flush to the bulkhead, and those screws probably just aren't bottomed out.

The one on top of the servo mount, we tightened those from the last car, and mine have been super positive and not stripped at all.

It is a metric machined thread into plastic, no matter how "tight" the thread are, I could strip them all out if I tried. But building lots of cars, and knowing how to feel when the screw is stopping in the hole is pretty key.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.