TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default 2.0 to 3.0

I did that with my sct 1 to 2. But if I had to do it again I would just get the new kit. I would get parts then realize I missed something, on and on. The upgrade list is huge. A new car indeed.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Went to my LHS and one of these accidently came home with me

Old 11-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I am heading down in 5, will be there all night. Stop by and say hi!
VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO!!!!! Pleeeeeeeease!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KalEl63

so not fair!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KalEl63

That thing would go for $500 on eBay!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsair
That thing would go for $500 on eBay!
If so, I'd go back to the shop if I were him and get 2 more. Sell 2 and get one for free. Wishful thinking.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

I have a brand new shiny pucks set for my 2.0, can i still use the 2.0 diff and pucks on this car or did you guys change the dimensions in the gearbox
Old 11-07-2015, 03:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To Frank: a few questions I'd appreciate answered;

-what setup changes would be needed/ suggested for a genuine off road track: often rough or loose outdoor dirt track with low grip?
You know, the ones everyone raced on before you got spoilt with perfect indoor clay tracks, (which this buggy seems to be primarily designed for)

-will the 2.0 continue to be sold as the rear motor buggy option, or will it be discontinued and replaced with the 3.0?

-is there a rear cab, or mid cab body planned? I seem to be in the minority that really dislikes the cab forward bodies.

Thanks in advance for always replying in the forums, and great work in the design and engineering of the new car- looks impressive, and will no doubt be a winner.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Another question for Frank:

- Now that TLR only sells the mid-motor 22 buggy, does that mean that you guys consider mid-motor to be equal to or better than rear motor in all conditions (or at least all the conditions that have been tested)? If not, which scenarios might rear motor still be advantageous? I'm just trying to decide if I should hold onto my 22 2.0 for certain tracks, I'll get a 3.0 regardless.

- As you mentioned in the video, the 22 2.0 mid-motor position is more forward since it was developed for carpet and astro tracks. Does this mean that the 22 3.0, with the more rearward motor position, is less suited for those tracks?

- It seems that the box setup for the 22 3.0 is aimed for medium/high grip smooth clay tracks. What setup changes would you suggest for the 22 3.0 for an ultra high grip carpet track? What about loose, rough, and loamy outdoor tracks? Something I wish TLR would include in the manual is multiple setups for common track types as it seems most people run one of these three types of surface.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gokarter64
I have a brand new shiny pucks set for my 2.0, can i still use the 2.0 diff and pucks on this car or did you guys change the dimensions in the gearbox
Diff it's self is the same as the 2.0 as for the length of the driveshafts, that might keep you from using it. Check the upgrade list to see what carries over from the 22 2.0 If driveshafts aren't on that list, you should be alright.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Spotted today at Keilor. These buggies look awesome; really, really appreciate the time the TLR driver (Scott) took to explain setting up my v2 also and for checking out a possible issue I had with my bell cranks. Great ambassador for your brand!

Old 11-08-2015, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gonz13
To Frank: a few questions I'd appreciate answered;

-what setup changes would be needed/ suggested for a genuine off road track: often rough or loose outdoor dirt track with low grip?
You know, the ones everyone raced on before you got spoilt with perfect indoor clay tracks, (which this buggy seems to be primarily designed for)

-will the 2.0 continue to be sold as the rear motor buggy option, or will it be discontinued and replaced with the 3.0?

-is there a rear cab, or mid cab body planned? I seem to be in the minority that really dislikes the cab forward bodies.

Thanks in advance for always replying in the forums, and great work in the design and engineering of the new car- looks impressive, and will no doubt be a winner.
Looks like they are running the buggy at Revelation in the video; that track is far from a perfectly groomed high bite indoor track and it looked like it was on rails (it's a 1/8 track).
Old 11-08-2015, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'll be copping one.....

I just hope tlr puts out a cab back body as an option...
Old 11-08-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Collin and I attended the first round of the JCP winter points series last night and ran the 22 2.0 car, his car was good and he was able to quilify second and go on to win the 10 minute a main. After the race was over he had a chance to drive another guys 22. 3.0 and all he could do is smile in astonishment about how much better the new car is. It turns, jumps, lands, accelerates, and the rear traction is all better. Then on top of all that it is 100 times better looking. Speed really is a thing of beauty. Thanks TLR for raising the bar in the 2 wheel market.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek
i'll be copping one.....

I just hope tlr puts out a cab back body as an option...
There is only one body for the 3.0 at this time. The original 2.0 body will not fit on this car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.