R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 11-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #496
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Just getting back into RC i have a Losi XXXSCB, mini 8ight and LST XXL2-E, son has a Traxxas 2WD Stampede.

Have been having some fun at the Knox RC track and noticed everyone is driving 1/10 buggy, hence the reason for buying the TLR 22 3.0.

As for stock or mod I'm unsure, my son is only 10 y/o and i would class myself as an OK driver so would probably start with stock, is that what you guys would recommend?

Regards Rob.

Last edited by aussiedriver; 11-27-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
aussiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #497
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedriver View Post
I would class myself as an OK driver so would probably start with stock, is that what you guys would recommend?

Regards Rob.
Definitely stock. 17.5 motors are getting faster all the time and the buggies and tracks are getting better just as quickly. At least at my local track the stock buggies are just as fast if not faster than mod buggies because the powerband is more controllable and it's easier to put the power down without losing control.

However, having said that I'm not a big fan of stock motors. I don't like the narrower powerband of stock motors and prefer having "extra" power when I need it. If I don't get a corner just right and don't have enough momentum to hit the next double I like having a mod motor to give me the extra grunt that I missed out on. Stock isn't for everybody - it takes a lot of skill to keep momentum and corner speed high to keep the "slow" motor moving the car at fast enough speeds.

My personal recommendation is to stick with stock motors and work on making sure you can run a race without crashing and dialing in a good setup. When you feel confident in your abilities you can then add some modified power and see how well it works out for you. Think of it this way: most racecar drivers don't learn how to race by starting in a formula-1 car, they probably started in a go-kart.
68pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #498
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
Matt, I always enjoy reading your write-ups as they are very informative and thorough.
Thanks JP. I try to pass along info and experiences when I can here. I have learned so much from others on this site. It is a great resource and community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
Did you get rid of your KF2?
I'll PM you about that, it is a little off-topic for this thread.

And I forgot to mention in an earlier post that I completely agree with TLR's decision to not include aluminum clamp-on hexes in the rear. On other kits I have built that use plastic hexes, they have a tendency to fall off the axle and next thing you know you are looking for the pin that slid out too. Also, the plastic hexes of other kits have often made it difficult to get the wheels on without lining things up just right. The plastic hexes in this kit have neither of those problems. They stay put on the axles and the wheels go right on with little fuss. I can honestly say I will not be buying clamp-on aluminum hexes.
motorcitymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #499
Tech Adept

MIDDLE OF DEC!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
trutledge83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #500
Tech Initiate

Just to be sure. The front wheels from the 2.0 will not fit the 3.0. I know this was discussed earlier but I am slightly confused what part of the wheels is different. I don't want to sell all my sets of wheels from my 2.0 and then find out I could have used them on the new car.
gprcmx312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #501
Tech Initiate

In anticipation of the new car I have rebuilt the kit a few more times in my head. I noticed int he online manual there are no mention of servo spacers? Is there a chart somewhere to save me time measuring lol... or if some-one already has one built with a savox 1257 lmk if you had to use any spacers.. thanks in advance
TitanBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #502
Tech Elite

is the body pre cut
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #503
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprcmx312 View Post
Just to be sure. The front wheels from the 2.0 will not fit the 3.0. I know this was discussed earlier but I am slightly confused what part of the wheels is different. I don't want to sell all my sets of wheels from my 2.0 and then find out I could have used them on the new car.
2.0 wheels will not fit, they are 10mm hex and the 3.0 are 12mm. you can put the 2.0 axels on your 3.0 and use the wheels.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #504
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Frank let me drive his car the other day at OCRC. TLR did an excellent job with this car. It has tons of steering yet feels planted. I prefer it to the B5 cars that I have driven.

I suspect this will become the car to beat. Good job, TLR.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #505
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My kit just arrived at the LHS, going to pick it up after work and get started on the build.
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #506
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutledge83 View Post
MIDDLE OF DEC!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Bear in mind, that is an estimate if you place a new order, now. If you have a backorder in place already, you will almost definitely get your kit sooner. You can call Amain or live chat and they can give you a better idea.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #507
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAFAN View Post
2.0 wheels will not fit, they are 10mm hex and the 3.0 are 12mm. you can put the 2.0 axels on your 3.0 and use the wheels.
Thank you for the clarification.
gprcmx312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #508
Tech Elite

my look like trusday or wesnday hope it a good build what the wheel yellow
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #509
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
my look like trusday or wesnday hope it a good build what the wheel yellow