R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #436
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener74 View Post
They took my money and my order status says "waiting for stock" Not real impressed with the new system.
That's why you should support your local hobby shop. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it. I know it's not possible for everyone because some live 100's of miles away from their lhs, but for those that do live close enough, support it. Without it there would be no where to race the 3.0 on
skoalisbad4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #437
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah my closest hobby shop is 100 miles away.
greener74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #438
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
They charge your CC when the item ships, not when you back-order it.
No longer the case with A-Main, they charge you at checkout and ship when inventory comes in. You're able to cancel for a refund any time prior to shipment.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #439
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksdean View Post
I called Amain about the canceled back orders. Told them I had a pre order not a back order as it did not matter as this is the new way they going to do pre orders and back orders from now on with no ship date given. Now Horizon wants your credit card number before you can pre order also with no ship date.
It is starting to sound like all amain and horizon wants is our money without any products be shipped out to us.

I did the same thing yesterday, called Amain and spoke to a customer service rep who tried his best to assuage my frustration. He told me they were getting far more inventory than they had pre-orders for and I should not worry (here's hoping he wasn't blowing smoke up my arse). He also stated when I asked directly, "Credit card will not be charged until just prior to packaging and shipping your order."

Two hours after that conversation I thought to check my credit card account and sure enough, credit card is charged immediately. Kind of crappy business model Amain is moving to, goes against consumer protection laws in the USA.

Sorry for the derail of the TLR 22-3 thread but it is pertinent as many have ordered through Amain and some might just want to head to Horizon Hobby directly. If I didn't want this buggy so badly I would dump my order with Amain and place the order with either my local retailer or with Horizon Hobby directly but I am jonesing pretty good for this buggy and will put up with some frustration to get it in my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomdude View Post
I have preordered all my tlr kits from horizon (fastest way to get them) You have to give them a credit card like any other order but nothing is charged tell it ships just like any normal order. I have had zero issues ever doing it this way if that helps you out any

Horizon sounds like they are handling their pre-order system correctly, charge the CC just prior to shipping out product opposed to sitting on consumers cash waiting for delivery of product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
They charge your CC when the item ships, not when you back-order it.

Sounds like that is the case with Horizon Hobby, not the case with Amain's new pre-order back\order system. They are directly charging the CC the minute the order hits their system.

Frank, gotta say I really like the changes made to the 22-3, I think 2016 is going to be a very good year for TLR in 1/10th scale buggy. Your designs and updates have the competition making running changes to attempt to take some of the lime light away from the 22-3's release, that says something.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #440
Tech Adept

sounds like according to TRCR we might have the 3.0 up here friday. if so its perfect timing for the biggest club race of the year.
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #441
Tech Apprentice

Woohoo! Christmas is coming early!
PIHGUAM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #442
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My Horizon order still says backordered.
solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #443
Tech Regular

My Horizon Order still says "Backordered"

I Hope they didn't run out before filling all the preorders.
fantomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #444
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
....He also stated when I asked directly, "Credit card will not be charged until just prior to packaging and shipping your order."

Two hours after that conversation I thought to check my credit card account and sure enough, credit card is charged immediately. Kind of crappy business model Amain is moving to, goes against consumer protection laws in the USA.

Sorry for the derail of the TLR 22-3 thread ......
Did your account show the charge as completed, or just pending? Reason I ask is I bought some nice torque wrenches recently that were on back order for a couple weeks. I noticed the charge showed up right away as pending, I was concerned. But after a few days it went away. Then came back once they shipped, like expected.

I assumed they were just checking my card as they were setting up my order, the bank tracked it, but didn't actually charge my account. It did reduce my available credit, fortunately not an issue in this case (I did run into that once shopping for travel deals ).

Note I'm just curious, not at all defending AMain or anything. I'm a local shop slappie who's fortunate to have several great shops in the general area.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #445
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Did your account show the charge as completed, or just pending? Reason I ask is I bought some nice torque wrenches recently that were on back order for a couple weeks. I noticed the charge showed up right away as pending, I was concerned. But after a few days it went away. Then came back once they shipped, like expected. .
How recent? The notification of policy change came through Monday.

I paid with PayPal and was charged immediately.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #446
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
How recent? The notification of policy change came through Monday.

I paid with PayPal and was charged immediately.
A couple months ago. Again not AMain. If that's the case with AM I certainly agree with the concern and would look elsewhere.

Oh, should add my case was with a credit card.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #447
Tech Champion

I still trust Amain. I was disappointed that they changed the policy during one of the more important kit released without any prior notice. I will be further disappointed if my 2-week old pre-order's cancellation causes me to miss the 1st batch. If that happens I'll cancel with them and reward someone else with my business.

Glad to see the changes to the new car. TLR seems to have fixed everything I didn't care for on the last car (mainly the mid-transmission layout).

Old 11-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #448
Tech Regular

How do the new Savox servos with the large plastic grommet fit in the chassis? Any clearance issues?

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #449
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Did your account show the charge as completed, or just pending? Reason I ask is I bought some nice torque wrenches recently that were on back order for a couple weeks. I noticed the charge showed up right away as pending, I was concerned. But after a few days it went away. Then came back once they shipped, like expected.

I assumed they were just checking my card as they were setting up my order, the bank tracked it, but didn't actually charge my account. It did reduce my available credit, fortunately not an issue in this case (I did run into that once shopping for travel deals ).

Note I'm just curious, not at all defending AMain or anything. I'm a local shop slappie who's fortunate to have several great shops in the general area.
Nope, the entirety of my purchase was placed on my credit card the moment I closed the transaction with Amains shopping cart. Since the entire purchase is awaiting the release of the 22-3 kit, they will be sitting on my entire order until Monday at least. Not real happy with Amain at the moment, even their sales reps do not have a clue how their new ordering system works.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #450
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Lets try and keep the thread about the 3.0. If you want to talk about Amain charging early... move it to the chat lounge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokarter64 View Post
sounds like according to TRCR we might have the 3.0 up here friday. if so its perfect timing for the biggest club race of the year.
aahh yeah! I'm excited to check it out in person.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote