R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #4126
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark2288 View Post
What's the front X factory setup. I only saw the rear tower brace on their site.
It's just a carbon front tower. It's labeled with the 2.0, but if you go to compatibility tab you will see it fits the 3.0

https://www.amainhobbies.com/x-facto...fci201/p393731
johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #4127
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
you can do that, but the extra leverage makes the tower more susceptible to breakage, and it is really flexible. the xfactory kit does a nice job of stiffening up the tower, so you wont break things...
Yup but you can bend the crap out of that long screw. I've bent the titanium mounts at my carpet track. The further you move the shock out the more leverage on the screw.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #4128
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Exotek has a shock a 12 mm shock stand off (for Xray's I think). Thought that might work well. Didn't think about the tower bending though.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #4129
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
I wonder if it's just the flex of the body causing problems unless the paint is both adhered really well and applied really thin. I did just get an S2 body in, and I'm not using Spaz Stix. Back to trusty Duratrax for me!
Well, Frank said it's the same lexan, so it must be the flex.
I crashed a couple times, so it didn't just fall off.lol
Old 01-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #4130
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Well, Frank said it's the same lexan, so it must be the flex.
I crashed a couple times, so it didn't just fall off.lol
Right, my question wasn't whether there was a problem with the lexan, but whether the thinness and increased flexibility could be a problem. All the peeling has started from various ridges in the body.

Either way, I like the lightweight, but something like the new slightly thicker lightweight body is probably the best compromise for me. I ordered a normal S2 body though not knowing how thin JConcepts makes their lightweight versions. In reality, the little bit of extra weight isn't going to impact my qualifying and finishing positions right now... driving is still the biggest factor!
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:17 AM   #4131
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Gear diff or ball diff?

Building my laydown covertion and noticed the kit calls for a gear diff, I have two tracks I run, one is carpet/wood traction is not good on the wood areas, other is Med-high traction indoor clay. Any thoughts of what diff would be best? What weight oil is used in the gear diff set-up
lanmine657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #4132
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
Yup but you can bend the crap out of that long screw. I've bent the titanium mounts at my carpet track. The further you move the shock out the more leverage on the screw.

well, i have not bent a screw, i have been running this configuration either my home made kit, or the xfactory kit since late october, nothing bent. s it possible, i am certain it is, i am just saying this kit is fine until tlr makes a new car.

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #4133
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanmine657 View Post
Building my laydown covertion and noticed the kit calls for a gear diff, I have two tracks I run, one is carpet/wood traction is not good on the wood areas, other is Med-high traction indoor clay. Any thoughts of what diff would be best? What weight oil is used in the gear diff set-up
I would think a ball diff would be best for your tracks.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #4134
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
well, i have not bent a screw, i have been running this configuration either my home made kit, or the xfactory kit since late october, nothing bent. s it possible, i am certain it is, i am just saying this kit is fine until tlr makes a new car.
It's going to be a long time before TLR makes a new car. The 3.0 is only a year old, and TLR doesn't put new cars out every 2 years. They have to recoup the expenses of making a new car and then make some money. It seems they are not focusing on carpet tracks, even though there are MANY new carpet tracks opening. Example, discontinuing the carpet lay down because sales were not that high. Most of the other companies have carpet versions of their buggies, Xray and others. I've been told the shocks upfront really helps the corner speed on carpet.

The shock mount kit looks like a rig job to me. You only have one shock mount position on the arms. I would really like to see an official mount and arms from them. I guess that is just wish full thinking on my part. My friends run the conversion at my local track. Like I said I have bent the titanium shock mounts because carpet is not very forgiving. TLR is good about releasing parts that make the buggy better, I just hope they decide to release a official mount.

Last edited by LosiMadMan; 01-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #4135
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
It's going to be a long time before TLR makes a new car. The 3.0 is only a year old, and TLR doesn't put new cars out every 2 years. They have to recoup the expenses of making a new car and then make some money. It seems they are not focusing on carpet tracks, even though there are MANY new carpet tracks opening. Example, discontinuing the carpet lay down because sales were not that high. Most of the other companies have carpet versions of their buggies, Xray and others.

The shock mount kit looks like a rig job to me. You only have one shock mount position on the arms. I would really like to see an official mount and arms from them. I guess that is just wish full thinking on my part. My friends run the conversion at my local track. Like I said I have bent the titanium shock mounts because carpet is not very forgiving. TLR is good about releasing parts that make the buggy better, I just hope they decide to release a official mount.
Working on something
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #4136
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Working on something
You have my attention
Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #4137
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbsmith View Post
the 22 3.0 now has a gear differential? no more ball diff? wow...: ) very cool!

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR332067
I'm curious to see how this new style gear diff works compared to the older ones. It seems to me that having the internal gears oriented like the new diff will make it act more like a ball diff.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #4138
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
I'm curious to see how this new style gear diff works compared to the older ones. It seems to me that having the internal gears oriented like the new diff will make it act more like a ball diff.
If the fluid weights they're using in the 22-4 2.0 (much heavier) are any indication, it should behave a little differently.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #4139
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
I would think a ball diff would be best for your tracks.
Cool thanks, gear diffs do sound interesting, has anyone played around with one yet? I don't see much conversation about them
lanmine657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #4140
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanmine657 View Post
Cool thanks, gear diffs do sound interesting, has anyone played around with one yet? I don't see much conversation about them
For sure, we've run them. They work best on really high traction surfaces, like clay with slicks, carpet and astro.