R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #4111
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
The X-Factory conversion is work the $... car definitely performs better. Lands noticably better too, I think partly since it braces things up a bit.
Once I get back to work and stop spending so much money, lol. I'll be getting the LD kit and both front and rear X-factory setups.
johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #4112
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
Duo the lightweight bodies from the original laydown kit have a problem with paint peeling off the inside? I've never had that problem before, but it's peeling like crazy. I also used Spaz Stix instead of the paint I normally use, so there's two variables in there. Unless I forgot to wash the body, I'm thinking the lightweight body is the problem.

Mine peeled like crazy and I never have that problem. Painted another JC Silencer and not one little chip. That is really weird that the lexan would do that as I paint tons of body without this issue.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #4113
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

When will the xfactory kit be back in stock? I really think it's gonna help the 3.0 a bunch. I have driven b6's and xray's with the shocks on the front of the rear arm and I really prefer it.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #4114
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
When will the xfactory kit be back in stock? I really think it's gonna help the 3.0 a bunch. I have driven b6's and xray's with the shocks on the front of the rear arm and I really prefer it.
You can sign up on Amain and they will email you, but I see no date.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #4115
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
You can order direct from Xfactory. They are constantly posting on Facebook about shipping out all their orders and the status of their backlog. That seems to be the quickest way to get their popular products.
AMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #4116
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMessy View Post
You can order direct from Xfactory. They are constantly posting on Facebook about shipping out all their orders and the status of their backlog. That seems to be the quickest way to get their popular products.
Thanks just made my order at xfactory
Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #4117
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
Once I get back to work and stop spending so much money, lol. I'll be getting the LD kit and both front and rear X-factory setups.
What's the front X factory setup. I only saw the rear tower brace on their site.
shark2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #4118
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Mine peeled like crazy and I never have that problem. Painted another JC Silencer and not one little chip. That is really weird that the lexan would do that as I paint tons of body without this issue.
I wonder if it's just the flex of the body causing problems unless the paint is both adhered really well and applied really thin. I did just get an S2 body in, and I'm not using Spaz Stix. Back to trusty Duratrax for me!
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #4119
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
This is what I asked for for Christmas... I got other, more expensive things, but I was really hoping to get this brace!

I wonder if most of the benefit is really from the stiffened tower, and if the shocks on the front have a little less or more subtle impact. I like what TLR was trying to do with the shock tower, but it's obviously compromised the stiffness. I'm thinking it jumps better with the brace mostly because you're eliminating undamped flex of the tower, thus letting the shocks totally control the landing with no snap back from the tower.

Just thoughts! I need to get one on order.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:02 AM   #4120
Tech Initiate

Default X-factory set up

With the xfactory kit getting the shocks to the front of the arm. My question is what set up is the best for this or is it the case that any set up sheet will work and the shocks in front will make it better again?
Cub86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #4121
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

the 22 3.0 now has a gear differential? no more ball diff? wow...: ) very cool!

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR332067
TLR Ten-SCTE '3.0' Tekin Rx8 + 4300kv
TLR 22 3.0 Tekin Rsx + Reedy M3 7.5T
derekbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #4122
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbsmith View Post

Still a ball diff of course, the gear diff is an option for really high bite and carpet/astro tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub86 View Post
With the xfactory kit getting the shocks to the front of the arm. My question is what set up is the best for this or is it the case that any set up sheet will work and the shocks in front will make it better again?
Remove 2mm of stroke and start there.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #4123
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
The X-Factory conversion is worth the $... car definitely performs better. Lands noticeably better too, I think partly since it braces things up a bit.
Maybe it's worth TLRings time to make a correct official one.....
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #4124
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbsmith View Post

Dang I thought I paid a lot for my Serpent diff.... I'd rather buy TLR stuff anyways.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #4125
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
I don't quite get the need for the second tower. Couldn't you just use a longer shock mount?
The carbon tower brace is definitely needed. The X-Factory rear kit moves the upper shock mounts 8mm+ forward of the TLR tower which puts some extra leverage on the tower itself. A friend attempted to use a spare TLR tower as a brace in his homebrew version of the X-Factory kit and ended up with so much flex the dogbones started popping out.

Quote:
I've painted a few of the laydown bodies with my standard process and found no difference in the result when compared to other bodies I painted around the same time.

I use original, plain Dawn dish soap with hot water to wash each body before paint. Sometimes if I'm feeling especially ambitious I will follow-up with a wipe with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

For paint I am using Faskolor and Createx thinned in some cases with 4011 reducer.

Quote:
You can sign up on Amain and they will email you, but I see no date.
Quote:
I got mine direct from X-Factory but I did experience about a week delay between the order and the item shipping. Not a big deal but in the world of Amain/Horizon/etc. shipping same day it's worth knowing ahead of time.