R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #4066
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
Will these fit and work correctly with the 3.0?

**Can't post links yet** Found on A Main
lunsford-super-duty-tlr-22-2.0-titanium-turnbuckle-kit-w-ball-cups-6
I am using Lunsford titanium turnbuckles on my 3.0. The part number is LNS36009. They are in stock at AMain right now, they work great.
StadiumRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #4067
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 60
Default

Frank,

What happened to the Gen II Rear Hub Set (TLR234075)?

Originally, I thought they were supposed to come with both standard and +3mm axle composite bodies.

I was considering pre-ordering when I noticed the +3 bodies mysteriously disappeared from the product image?
(a google image search on the part number still shows both)https://www.google.com/search?q=TLR2..._AUIBygD&dpr=3

I was hoping to get the Gen II Hub set and use the +3mm axle composite hubs for my carpet 22 3.0. Please advise. Thanks
DJPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #4068
Tech Apprentice
 
johnny44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SL, UT
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StadiumRC View Post
I am using Lunsford titanium turnbuckles on my 3.0. The part number is LNS36009. They are in stock at AMain right now, they work great.
I saw the lunsford TB's on AMain, but I'm wanting the ballcups with it. I've broken two tlr ballcups just trying to take them off the ballstuds.
johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #4069
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,997
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Anyone put the Exotek laydown in an SR yet?
__________________
"Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
TLR 22 3.5 SR, TLR 22-4 1.875, Sanwa M12S, Savox, Hobbywing, Schuurspeed, Protek
DG Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #4070
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
Will these fit and work correctly with the 3.0?

**Can't post links yet** Found on A Main
lunsford-super-duty-tlr-22-2.0-titanium-turnbuckle-kit-w-ball-cups-6
The 2.0 kits and 3.0 kits are slightly different. 3.0 uses all the same length (55mm, I think), and the 2.0 kit uses something like 2 x 56mm, 4 x 57mm. It should still work, but there may be adjustment combinations at the short end of the range that don't.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #4071
Tech Apprentice
 
johnny44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SL, UT
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
The 2.0 kits and 3.0 kits are slightly different. 3.0 uses all the same length (55mm, I think), and the 2.0 kit uses something like 2 x 56mm, 4 x 57mm. It should still work, but there may be adjustment combinations at the short end of the range that don't.
Thank You Davidka.

After further research found that they are indeed different length TB's. I will just get the lunsford TB's and see if I can find other ballcups than the TLR ones.

I have read that the TLR ballcups are a pain to get on and off. In my experience they seem to be fairly brittle?
johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #4072
TLRacing
 
Frank Root's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,352
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPod View Post
Frank,

What happened to the Gen II Rear Hub Set (TLR234075)?

Originally, I thought they were supposed to come with both standard and +3mm axle composite bodies.

I was considering pre-ordering when I noticed the +3 bodies mysteriously disappeared from the product image?

I was hoping to get the Gen II Hub set and use the +3mm axle composite hubs for my carpet 22 3.0. Please advise. Thanks
We had a fit issue with the +3mm, and couldn't hold up the standard hubs since they come with the SCT 3.0... so we revised the replacement part and price. +3mm hubs will be out in the first part of 2017, but not exact date yet.
__________________
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #4073
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
Thank You Davidka.

After further research found that they are indeed different length TB's. I will just get the lunsford TB's and see if I can find other ballcups than the TLR ones.

I have read that the TLR ballcups are a pain to get on and off. In my experience they seem to be fairly brittle?
I actually really like the TLR ball cups, I have removed mine a few times without any issues. I have a set of pliers that I modified (so the pliers don't tear up the cups) and I grab and twist up on the cup and they come right off.
StadiumRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #4074
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,466
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StadiumRC View Post
I actually really like the TLR ball cups, I have removed mine a few times without any issues. I have a set of pliers that I modified (so the pliers don't tear up the cups) and I grab and twist up on the cup and they come right off.
My shock shaft pliers do this job too.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #4075
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 620
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
My shock shaft pliers do this job too.
I modify my ballcups by punching a 2.5 or 3 mm hole in them. That way I can move ball studs or change shims without taking the cups off.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #4076
Tech Apprentice
 
johnny44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SL, UT
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
My shock shaft pliers do this job too.
I was using regular pliers and a microfiber towel to avoid grinding up the ballcups. I'll try my shock shaft pliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
I modify my ballcups by punching a 2.5 or 3 mm hole in them. That way I can move ball studs or change shims without taking the cups off.
Brilliant^^ I may give this a shot!

Thanks fellas
johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #4077
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
I have read that the TLR ballcups are a pain to get on and off. In my experience they seem to be fairly brittle?
I haven't ever had any real trouble with any of the newer TLR ball cups. The old white ones (XXX era) used to pop off a little too easily sometimes.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #4078
Tech Adept
 
LBR_Frank's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 147
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Question for y'all experts
I have the 3.0 SR and am 20g under weight. Some am looking for smart hop ups, Aluminum bits that may help performance or chassis stiffness so I can add functional weight.
Car runs awesome right now so changing anything makes me paranoid I'll lose that driving sweetness,lol. But gotta make weight.
__________________
TLR 22 3.0 Spec-Racer (Album)
17.5 Tekin Gen 3
Tekin RS Gen 2
Spektrum S6240
LBR_Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #4079
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
We had a fit issue with the +3mm, and couldn't hold up the standard hubs since they come with the SCT 3.0... so we revised the replacement part and price. +3mm hubs will be out in the first part of 2017, but not exact date yet.
Thanks for the info.
Good to see quality control at work!
Looking forward to those +3mm composite hubs.
DJPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #4080
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBR_Frank View Post
Question for y'all experts
I have the 3.0 SR and am 20g under weight. Some am looking for smart hop ups, Aluminum bits that may help performance or chassis stiffness so I can add functional weight.
Car runs awesome right now so changing anything makes me paranoid I'll lose that driving sweetness,lol. But gotta make weight.
No need to over think it. Slap 3 (7gm/ea.) pieces of stick on weight where they won't change anything and run it! Spend the $$ on some tires.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:23 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net