R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #4036
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: okc,ok
Posts: 388
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Got my spec car finished and to the track today. What a great car. Not sure where the 1450 weight came from mine was 1496 with standard shorty batt.
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #4037
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

I built my Spec Racer right after the release and have a few track days on it now. It has exceeded my expectations and I feel is a more consistent car than my B6 on the clay track I usually go to.

Now that I have what i feel is a solid setup, I am having issues getting the car up to min weight. Part of this is my fault because I built the car way too light, but I was getting parts together to build a standard 3.0 for stock racing when the SR was released so I used a lot of additional lightweight parts I had just got for the standard kit.

I added the +30g front hinge pin holder and am still at 1440g ready to hit the track. I've already ditched my 3800 mah Orion XS shorty for a full size protek shorty. For the previous track days I servo taped in a 25g B6 C block behind the battery and ran brass Lipo plates to make min weight. I had to use an Exotek battery strap flipped upside down to fit the battery with all the plates under it.

Does TLR make any sort of chassis weight for the 3.0? I know they made some bolt in weights for the 2.0 in mid motor config. I also considered just using a standard chassis but i like how the SR chassis is working right now so would rather not change.
AMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:24 AM   #4038
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 620
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMessy View Post
I built my Spec Racer right after the release and have a few track days on it now. It has exceeded my expectations and I feel is a more consistent car than my B6 on the clay track I usually go to.

Now that I have what i feel is a solid setup, I am having issues getting the car up to min weight. Part of this is my fault because I built the car way too light, but I was getting parts together to build a standard 3.0 for stock racing when the SR was released so I used a lot of additional lightweight parts I had just got for the standard kit.

I added the +30g front hinge pin holder and am still at 1440g ready to hit the track. I've already ditched my 3800 mah Orion XS shorty for a full size protek shorty. For the previous track days I servo taped in a 25g B6 C block behind the battery and ran brass Lipo plates to make min weight. I had to use an Exotek battery strap flipped upside down to fit the battery with all the plates under it.

Does TLR make any sort of chassis weight for the 3.0? I know they made some bolt in weights for the 2.0 in mid motor config. I also considered just using a standard chassis but i like how the SR chassis is working right now so would rather not change.
You could use the brass front kick shim. Use the aluminum front pivot instead of plastic. Also, SMC makes some 30g brass plates that stand up next to the battery; that would keep you from having to cram plates under and raising the battery. Use the aluminum steering rack and servo mounts, either TLR or Exotek.

I'd probably add those aluminum bits, see where you're at, then you can try brass kick shim or battery weight depending on where you need it based on handling.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #4039
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
You could use the brass front kick shim. Use the aluminum front pivot instead of plastic. Also, SMC makes some 30g brass plates that stand up next to the battery; that would keep you from having to cram plates under and raising the battery. Use the aluminum steering rack and servo mounts, either TLR or Exotek.

I'd probably add those aluminum bits, see where you're at, then you can try brass kick shim or battery weight depending on where you need it based on handling.
Whoa, thanks for the heads up on the SMC battery compartment weights! Those look like just the ticket. I might pick up the brass shim and play around with adding that as well and see if I can keep my F/R weight distribution as is after adding it by adjusting battery location.
AMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #4040
Tech Adept
 
LBR_Frank's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 147
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
Got my spec car finished and to the track today. What a great car. Not sure where the 1450 weight came from mine was 1496 with standard shorty batt.
Mine came in at 1450 with a painted body but no velcro yet. Once all was said and done (added transponder also), I think it came in 1480.
__________________
TLR 22 3.0 Spec-Racer (Album)
17.5 Tekin Gen 3
Tekin RS Gen 2
Spektrum S6240
LBR_Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #4041
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 52
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quick question. I came off of the track today and checked my shocks rebound and my rears (havent checked front yet) have close to 100% rebound.. i build them dead. Am i just not bleeding enough when i put oil in or could it be caused by old xrings? Theres a spot on both shafts where the coating is kinda starting to rub off, could that cause it? Thanks

Update.. i can bleed one of my rear shocks until a quarter of the oil is gone out of the shock and it still has about 90% almost 100% rebound. I replaced the xrings.. only thing that it could be is the shock shafts..?

Last edited by Cday; 01-03-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Cday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #4042
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

I was experiencing that when my car was brand new. They're taking on air after being sealed up. I bleed them and seal with the shaft all the way in (no air inside). Adter sealing, when you draw the shaft out, the necessary amount of air comes in through the shaft seals. I find this results in consistent setup.

I'm interested in trying the tessman setup (bladders, vented caps) but I get so little track time I am reluctant to mess with something that's working.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #4043
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 193
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
Got my spec car finished and to the track today. What a great car. Not sure where the 1450 weight came from mine was 1496 with standard shorty batt.
Just finished my SR and it weight in at 1474.

Savox 1258
Orion 4500
Spectrum sr3100 receiver
Stock Hobbywing ESC
slider3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #4044
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,659
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Electronics will matter. Also 12g or 14g wire, how you wire it and all.
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR Ten-SCTE 3.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #4045
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 440
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Why is the original laydown conversion tlr338004 discontinued? Also, if you have the original conversion, what is the front pivot mod you need to do?
shark2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #4046
TLRacing
 
Frank Root's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,349
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark2288 View Post
Why is the original laydown conversion tlr338004 discontinued? Also, if you have the original conversion, what is the front pivot mod you need to do?
We moved to the dirt laydown conversion kit. There weren't enough sales to carry both although both cases will remain available.

Here is the video - https://www.facebook.com/16771357659...3329861365716/
__________________
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #4047
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 440
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
We moved to the dirt laydown conversion kit. There weren't enough sales to carry both although both cases will remain available.

Here is the video - https://www.facebook.com/16771357659...3329861365716/
do any of the team guys run the carpet conversion on high bite clay or do they just run the dirt version no matter.

Also, how do you do the front pivot mod, or is it just better to get the hrc front pivot
shark2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #4048
Tech Regular
 
MNiceGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Belle Plaine, MN
Posts: 298
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Electronics will matter. Also 12g or 14g wire, how you wire it and all.
You bring up a good point. I habitually use 12awg but for stock racing is that really necessary? Would there be any disadvantage to going 14awg?
__________________
22 3.0 Laydown | 22T 2.0 | 22T 3.0 | 22-4 2.0 | XXX-T MF1 | XX4
MNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #4049
Tech Regular
 
MNiceGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Belle Plaine, MN
Posts: 298
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark2288 View Post
do any of the team guys run the carpet conversion on high bite clay or do they just run the dirt version no matter.

Also, how do you do the front pivot mod, or is it just better to get the hrc front pivot
Here's the link to Frank's video of the mod:
Facebook Video - HRC Mod

It's my understanding the HRC block accomplishes the same geometry but since it's made of aluminum, it's up to you to decide whether you want the extra weight added in that particular location. I personally run the aluminum block and it suits me just fine.
__________________
22 3.0 Laydown | 22T 2.0 | 22T 3.0 | 22-4 2.0 | XXX-T MF1 | XX4
MNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #4050
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: schumacher k2 4wd
Posts: 77
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Sales would have been much better

If Losi would just come out with a carpet version of 22 for around 350 like everyone else instead of approx 320 for kit and 180 for lay down tranny. And I am a loyal Losi supporter. But that doesn't make any sense at all to me.
tlr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:09 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net