R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 11-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #3841
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Got my SR on order at my LHS and counting down the days. Please don't delay release date, I want to sit under the Xmas tree building my car
This is my first TLR car so this will be the first of many questions, I was wondering if the gear diff will work with the Aluminum Driveshafts?
Bmans5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #3842
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmans5 View Post
Got my SR on order at my LHS and counting down the days. Please don't delay release date, I want to sit under the Xmas tree building my car
This is my first TLR car so this will be the first of many questions, I was wondering if the gear diff will work with the Aluminum Driveshafts?
It'll be here by Christmas for sure (well, I guess the boat could sink, but...)

The gear diff will not work with the aluminum driveshafts though.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #3843
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Don't Jynx it

I may have not ordered the kit but I did order the drive train and cut gears, and I don't want to go fishing for them. LOL
fantomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #3844
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post

The gear diff will not work with the aluminum driveshafts though.
If that boat sinks I will be looking at you

Thanks for the info on a gear diff. We run a really tight carpet track (in a school gym) and the gear diff is the diff of choice, so thought I would prepare accordingly.

Want to say Thanks Frank, Feeling really good about the choice to get this car between all I have read and seeing a team driver/product developer so available to answer questions, Thumbs up for TLR.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #3845
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

KICK SHIM MOD QUESTION.

I understand why someone would do the kick shim mod with the plastic parts.

Im confused as to what would be the difference between running the kick shim mod with a standard aluminum front pivot and the 25gram brass shim like Elliot Staffords setups.
Vs
the aluminum HRC front pivot with the 25gram brass shim with no modification.

I can't seem to understand why he is doing the mod and not just using existing parts to accomplish the exact same thing.

Does anyone here know why?

Last edited by NocturnalNitro; 11-30-2016 at 06:14 PM.
NocturnalNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #3846
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalNitro View Post
KICK SHIM MOD QUESTION.

I understand why someone would do the kick shim mod with the plastic parts.

Im confused as to what would be the difference between running the kick shim mod with a standard aluminum front pivot and the 25gram brass shim like Elliot Staffords setups.
Vs
the aluminum HRC front pivot with the 25gram brass shim with no modification.

I can't seem to understand why he is doing the mod and not just using existing parts to accomplish the exact same thing.

Does anyone here know why?
The HRC pivot does not use a shim. I use the HRC pivot myself. It's a little heavier than the plastic pivot though, so if you want a lighter pivot but the HRC, you have to modify the plastic one. Likewise, if you want the heavier brass shim, you have to modify as well since you cannot use a shim with the aluminum HRC pivot. I hope that helps.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #3847
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well the kick shim mod with the plastic blocks let you run the shims but with the aluminum HRC it doesn't use one due to it is built in to the block. That is why we do the mod on the plastic. I have the aluminum HRC and a modded plastic one with a modded brass shim for the weight. The plastic with brass weights more then the aluminum alone.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #3848
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks guys... makes sense now. I didn't realize the HRC didn't use a shim.
NocturnalNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #3849
Tech Regular

Announced Today
TLR338005
22 3.0 Dirt Laydown Transmission Conversion Kit $139.99
fantomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #3850
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomdude View Post
Announced Today
TLR338005
22 3.0 Dirt Laydown Transmission Conversion Kit $139.99
I'm so happy about this announcement. I was very skeptical of switching over to a laydown configuration in my buggy simply because there are only a few tracks in my area that have enough grip to necessitate its advantages. The stand up tranny will work everywhere, especially on lower grip tracks, whereas the laydown would work under very specific traction conditions. Now I feel comfortable in the fact that if I feel I don't have the necessary rear traction, I can just switch back to stand up with relative ease. I plan to have 2 complete trannies built up for my buggy with this kit. One dirt laydown and one stand up.
Jack Bonhomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #3851
Tech Initiate

TLR338004 tagged discontinued on amain ??
intense82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #3852
Tech Adept

release date for the Spec racer got pushed to December 13th ....I may have it to put on the tree as a gift from Santa to me
The setup sheet that will be in the Manual, will it be mainly for Clay Carpet or Astro, or just a base starting point?
Old 12-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #3853
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmans5 View Post
release date for the Spec racer got pushed to December 13th ....I may have it to put on the tree as a gift from Santa to me
The setup sheet that will be in the Manual, will it be mainly for Clay Carpet or Astro, or just a base starting point?
The setup is more of a base point for clay tracks.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #3854
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Has anyone tried making a rear sway bar for the buggy? I'm running on carpet and feel the car could use a rear bar.
chrisjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #3855
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjohns View Post
Has anyone tried making a rear sway bar for the buggy? I'm running on carpet and feel the car could use a rear bar.
there was a guy at our track using the 22-4 rear sway bar kit. You have to drill some holes in the arms and also I think in rear bulkhead
r schowengerdt is offline   Reply With Quote