TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
2.4" isn't an industry standard for the wheel size. If you search 2.4 yellow on AMain, none of the JC tires or wheels come up either, they are 60mm.

The TLR wheels are also listed in the manual and the web page under option parts.
not suggesting you change the wording of your product pages, simply help improving the customer experience to return intended search results where most folks synonymously refer 2.4" with 60mm or 61mm... etc

As a customer, the idea is to get something returned back from the search engine, even if it's the next best thing. It's a win-win IMO.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Probably the best thing to do would be to rename the product as 60mm/61mm/2.4" wheels, then it would work in the search engine and also when people just pick up a physical package and look at the label.

Or if we could take our DeLorean and go back in time and do some kind of Inception idea-planting so it never became a thing, that would be great too.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default Transmission Case Screws

Somehow I managed to split the side of the transmission case while installing my transmission into the chassis. It's the kit supplied 3 gear. Has anyone else had this issue or am I just really talented? I snugged (snug, not tightened all the way) the rear screw down to hold the tranny in place, then I got the front drivers side screw about halfway in and the case split. Perhaps I cross threaded the screw or something? I ordered a new case set but don't want to repeat my mistake. Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
Somehow I managed to split the side of the transmission case while installing my transmission into the chassis. It's the kit supplied 3 gear. Has anyone else had this issue or am I just really talented? I snugged (snug, not tightened all the way) the rear screw down to hold the tranny in place, then I got the front drivers side screw about halfway in and the case split. Perhaps I cross threaded the screw or something? I ordered a new case set but don't want to repeat my mistake. Any ideas?
Same here front left hole. It cracked while screwing it in about half way. Its holding but when I replace it I am going to use a shorter screw.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Same here front left hole. It cracked while screwing it in about half way. Its holding but when I replace it I am going to use a shorter screw.
I might try that also. I think I may start with some heat and maybe a little bit of soap and try to tap the hole before I put the case halves together. In the past I have used a hair dryer to get stubborn pins out of blocks and arms, the heat seems to really help. At least now I know it's not just me.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

My new gear case arrived today and I just installed it. This time I carefully and slowly threaded the screws in and out a few times before installing the transmission in the car and it works great. Not sure why the first one failed and split open, but the new one is fine and smooth as silk.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

TLR 22 3.0 Spec-Racer mid motor 2WD racing buggy kit
http://www.redrc.net/2016/11/tlr-22-...t/#more-121948
Gen II Shocks ?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brad996
Gen II Shocks ?
Don't see anything on TLR site about it yet. If that's real, I have one question: why not come as the dirt laydown configuration for stock class? Seems like laydown would be even more beneficial in stock vs. mod.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is not on the front page of the TLR site but it is in the What's New section under the Products menu. Car is very real and all over the various RC news sites. Some cool new features!!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I like how TLR took it to the next level by including the lightened drivetrain parts in their stock class specific kit. It seems like previous stock specific kits were just lightened versions of the standard kit. The aluminum/composite diffs, slipper eliminator, and alum cva shafts go above and beyond a just a milled chassis and some titanium bits.

I'm fine that it's a 3gear stand up, I have used the laydown in my B6 but find the car more consistent with the 3 gear standup on every surface except carpet.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

I have seen some pictures of the cars from trackside and a lot of these guys are now running the shocks on the front of the rear tower. Am I safe to assume that mod is for high speed high grip tracks to help the car rotate faster through the corners??

Also what is everyone using to accomplish this front mount? Looks like a second tower and just a longer bolt for the top shock mount? What size is that screw people are using?
Old 11-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
I have seen some pictures of the cars from trackside and a lot of these guys are now running the shocks on the front of the rear tower. Am I safe to assume that mod is for high speed high grip tracks to help the car rotate faster through the corners??

Also what is everyone using to accomplish this front mount? Looks like a second tower and just a longer bolt for the top shock mount? What size is that screw people are using?
Most are running a conversion kit made by X-Factory. Can check out their website as they have ordering and other info on it.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Frank Root: Can you order the new stock spec lightened outdrives separately?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Brian L
Most are running a conversion kit made by X-Factory. Can check out their website as they have ordering and other info on it.
I will check in to that.
But, what is their goal in running the shocks in front? Was my speculation correct ok that they are trying to get the car to rotate faster through corners?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by brad996
Gen II Shocks ?
projected price? can anyone speculate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.