R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 09-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #3511
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dirt laydown uses stock hubs or aluminum equivalent not the +3
Rozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #3512
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am using Dakota's laydown set up from the nationals
Rozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #3513
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Frank or anyone else. First race with the car yesterday. Local track got a complete make over. We were running slicks prior, now we're running dirt webs/ electrons. Prior on a couple of test days the car was pretty decent. I really struggled yesterday. I still made the A but it was a handful. Basically the car lacked traction and was really unpredictable. I would say traction is medium at best. Running 3 gear stand up. Basically stock setup up except I moved the rear hubs forward. Any suggestions would be great. I know the track will come around as far as traction, but it's gonna be a couple of months and I need to get my car hooked in the mean time.
Possibly give the 4 gear tranny a try. It sounds like I run on a similar surface to you. When I changed to the 4 gear I noticed a big increase in rear grip.
ChrisUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #3514
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUU View Post
Possibly give the 4 gear tranny a try. It sounds like I run on a similar surface to you. When I changed to the 4 gear I noticed a big increase in rear grip.
Is this a clay indoor track, outdoor? Where is your battery? You can move your battery back and also add some weight to the back of the car as another option to permanently going with the 4 gear.
powerjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #3515
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Can anyone show me a pic of how the servo is mounted back like some of the setups say. Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #3516
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

when running the laydown conversion, what would the effects be if you were to put in the hrc rear pivot blocks ?
perch whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #3517
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Frank or anyone else. First race with the car yesterday. Local track got a complete make over. We were running slicks prior, now we're running dirt webs/ electrons. Prior on a couple of test days the car was pretty decent. I really struggled yesterday. I still made the A but it was a handful. Basically the car lacked traction and was really unpredictable. I would say traction is medium at best. Running 3 gear stand up. Basically stock setup up except I moved the rear hubs forward. Any suggestions would be great. I know the track will come around as far as traction, but it's gonna be a couple of months and I need to get my car hooked in the mean time.
With indoor clay tracks, tires are so much of the equation. Did you break yours in, sand them, and get enough sauce in them?

Setup wise, what are you running? Have you tried a setup with 1.6/1.7 and the white rear springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perch whisperer View Post
when running the laydown conversion, what would the effects be if you were to put in the hrc rear pivot blocks ?
Takes out some bone plunge. Lands a little worse, but can squat more on throttle.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #3518
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm coming back to 1/10 scale racing in the next month from doing 1/8 nitro. What would I need to get for 22 3.0 new kit to make it race ready quickly? Ex.. lay down kit, lay down tranny, springs, pistons, etc.
The tracks around here are high bite and one is loose to medium bite

Thanks
mrcdub01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #3519
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcdub01 View Post
I'm coming back to 1/10 scale racing in the next month from doing 1/8 nitro. What would I need to get for 22 3.0 new kit to make it race ready quickly? Ex.. lay down kit, lay down tranny, springs, pistons, etc.
The tracks around here are high bite and one is loose to medium bite

Thanks
Nothing! It's really good right out of the box!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #3520
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Nothing! It's really good right out of the box!
Ok, cause I see some guys talking about the lay down conversion. What's the advantages?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #3521
TLRacing

Quote:
Ok, cause I see some guys talking about the lay down conversion. What's the advantages?
Advantages - More corner speed, easier to drive on higher grip tracks, especially carpet and astro.
Disadvantages - cost, and harder to drive on loose to medium dirt tracks.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Old 09-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #3522
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Advantages - More corner speed, easier to drive on higher grip tracks, especially carpet and astro.
Disadvantages - cost, and harder to drive on loose to medium dirt tracks.
Which way should I go then. The tracks I will be running on are medium to high bite and 2 are high bite clay that use slicks sometimes.

If I buy a new 22 3.0 kit, what else should I purchase to be successful on these 3 tracks without having to buy 2 car kits?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #3523
Tech Adept

Would Dakota's setup work on every type of track conditions? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this purchase right the first time out.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #3524
Tech Adept

Quote:
Which way should I go then. The tracks I will be running on are medium to high bite and 2 are high bite clay that use slicks sometimes.

If I buy a new 22 3.0 kit, what else should I purchase to be successful on these 3 tracks without having to buy 2 car kits?
IMO, I would just run it box stock and see what adjustments you need to make and then go from there.

I know ZERO about your skill level, however coming from 1/8th scale, you may find that the out of the box setup will work for you for the time being. Until you know for certain you can benefit from the laydown transmission. If you are JUST learning your car, you may have no need for all of that additional cost. At least upfront.
Rabidtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #3525
TLRacing

Quote:

It REALLY depends on a lot of factors, most of which have to do with you. You can always add the laydown later if/when you feel like you need it.