R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 09-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #3466
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprcmx312 View Post
So I have been searching the thread and looked at the wiki but I still cant find the answer to some questions I have. In order to run the dirt laydown you need to have the laydown kit to do so correct? Also what exactly is the HRC mod? I am sorry if this is outdated and been talked about already because I know it can be annoying to have to answer the same questions over and over again, but I just cant seem to find anything that helps. Any help you guys can give is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, you need the laydown kit to convert.

Front HRC video. https://www.facebook.com/16771357659...3329861365716/
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #3467
Tech Initiate

Thank you Frank!
gprcmx312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:17 AM   #3468
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would you always do the high roll center mod when you are running the Laydown trans. Or is there times where you should keep the low roll center front?
perch whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #3469
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by perch whisperer View Post
Would you always do the high roll center mod when you are running the Laydown trans. Or is there times where you should keep the low roll center front?
If you have the +3.5 tranny, you need the +3mm aluminum hubs. If you are running those, I'd pretty much always run the HRC front pivot or mod.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Old 09-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #3470
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Frankie, so the 3.5 tranny is the dirt laydown correct? So I should be running the aluminum rear hubs that came in the laydown conversion kit? Sorry if it's already been discussed
Old 09-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #3471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Frank, when's the next time you're swinging by OCRC? My 22 3.0 feels great but I'd love to have you drive it to get your thoughts. Car is still about 95% stock with only some titanium arms and shock posts.

Thinking of adding the TLR aluminum front camber block and that's about it. I know the laydown is the "way to go" at OCRC (especially for stock I'm told), but I feel that the car is so close that for my driving level, just a little more input and it would be "there".
Old 09-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #3472
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Frankie, so the 3.5 tranny is the dirt laydown correct? So I should be running the aluminum rear hubs that came in the laydown conversion kit? Sorry if it's already been discussed
no sir, the transmission that comes in the laydown kit is the +3.5 trans, that you run with the hrc front end and the +3.5 rear hubs.

to run the dirt transmission, you need to buy the laydown kit, and then buy the dirt transmission. you will put that transmission kit on the chassis you got with the laydown kit. you will use the standard kit hubs with the dirt laydown, as the diff is at the standard height.

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #3473
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
3.5 trans is the laydown transmission. You have to buy the dirt transmission case if you want the "0" trans and you can use this with the alum "0" hubs or the stock hubs.

If you use the +3.5 letdown, you need to run the +3.5 hubs, and a lower ride height. Then you'll need the HRC front pivot or do the mod to the stock pivot (move the kick shim).
powerjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #3474
TLRacing

Quote:
Laydown Conversion (carpet/astro) = Has "+3.5" marking to signify the diff is 3.5mm higher. This should be run with the +3mm aluminum hubs that come with the conversion kit.

Dirt Laydown = Has no marking on the case, is the same diff height as the stock 3-gear stand up tranny. Should be run with stock plastic rear hubs, or the direct aluminum equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine View Post
Frank, when's the next time you're swinging by OCRC? My 22 3.0 feels great but I'd love to have you drive it to get your thoughts. Car is still about 95% stock with only some titanium arms and shock posts.

Thinking of adding the TLR aluminum front camber block and that's about it. I know the laydown is the "way to go" at OCRC (especially for stock I'm told), but I feel that the car is so close that for my driving level, just a little more input and it would be "there".
I don't have anything planned right now, but I'll definitely take it for a spin when I am down there. In the mean time, Jake Thayer will probably oblige the same request and is great at providing feedback.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #3475
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Anyone make front wheels for this car except Losi? or will any 12mm hex front wheel work?
Applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #3476
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
Anyone make front wheels for this car except Losi? or will any 12mm hex front wheel work?
I tried the ProLine Velocity which is supposed to be compatible but the offset was a little off and messed with my setup... I've since made it a point to only run TLR brand wheels to play it safe.

I wish all 1/10 Buggy manufactures would follow the same standard as 1/8 Buggy wheels where all use 0 offset #frustratedwithlimitedwheelselection
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:07 AM   #3477
Tech Adept

I ran the 4 gear transmition for the first time today.

Overall I thought it produces a fair bit more more traction than the 3 gear. It did however have a little more front end push when exiting corners on acceleration. This is to be expected though.

I highly recommend people giving the 4 gear tranny a try if you run on any surface that is not perfectly prepared clay.

It will be staying in my car.
ChrisUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #3478
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

DE makes some. The 22-4 front wheel fits on the 22 12mm front axel. I have been running it for a while now and work great.

Come in a variety of colors as well

http://www.deracing.net/store/index....&category_id=0

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #3479
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the new brass front hinge pin block that TLR offers for the standard 3 gear tranny car?

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR334035
Medicinal Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #3480
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicinal Coma View Post
Has anyone tried the new brass front hinge pin block that TLR offers for the standard 3 gear tranny car?

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR334035
I just ordered one the other day. It should be a good option to have for those looking for a little more traction with their stand up 3 gear or 4 gear 22 3.0. I'm hoping to try it this next Friday.