R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 08-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #3346
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad996 View Post
Frank I have been looking on the TLR site and i don't see the laydown dirt trans case could you give me the part number
1 page back

Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 AM   #3347
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonski View Post
That's the only reason...and I want TLR aluminum 67mm driveshafts because I don't want to put the MIP system on my car.
Me neither.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #3348
Tech Apprentice

Default Binding Laydown/Dirt Transmission

For those of you working with the laydown and laydown dirt tranny - this question's for you. I recently built up both these cases and find that neither seem as smooth as I'd hope (bearings are smooth and clean). Are there any tips and/or tricks to help? Or is a bit of breaking in required to smooth up the transmission.

From what I have done so far I do see things get really bound if screws are over-tightened.

-Thanks, Todd
toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #3349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Me neither.
Titanium drive shafts would be nice. Or would they create additional wear on the outdrives? Maybe titanium shafts with steel pins?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #3350
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WillS Send a message via Yahoo to WillS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
For those of you working with the laydown and laydown dirt tranny - this question's for you. I recently built up both these cases and find that neither seem as smooth as I'd hope (bearings are smooth and clean). Are there any tips and/or tricks to help? Or is a bit of breaking in required to smooth up the transmission.

From what I have done so far I do see things get really bound if screws are over-tightened.

-Thanks, Todd
Other than cleaning up bearings and using a lubricant on them, I used protek white grease on the gears. Smooth as can be if not the smoothest TLR transmission to date.
Cheater Racing, Team Powers, Amain.com/Protek, Dialed RC Hobbies/Soar
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #3351
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:

-Thanks, Todd
Good morning Todd. Couple things I look for is to make sure the bearings are smooth. If smooth but slightly dry, I'd do a drop of bearing oil to see if that helps. If running ceramics I really like Schelle Black Diamond oil as it works really well. Lastly like Will said put a little grease on the gears. I use just the grease that comes in the kit. A little goes a far way.

Last edited by Team Pink; 08-19-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
Team Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #3352
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What wheels are you guys using for carpet tires? There is a carpet track opening soon and need wheels and tires for it.
jdutch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #3353
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

-Thanks, Todd
If using the gear diff, you can shim it and that allows you to tighten the screws all the way down with no scrubbing.

I discuss it here
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post14344273
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #3354
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutch03 View Post
What wheels are you guys using for carpet tires? There is a carpet track opening soon and need wheels and tires for it.
We use Dboot carpet tires at our local carpet track. Some people also run the gone bananas foams.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #3355
Tech Apprentice

I was running the new dirt tranny bone dry - a little grease did the trick.
toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #3356
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Schumacher mini pins and cut staggers are the go-to here. I ran the new JConcepts pin downs and swaggers last weekend though and they are easily my new favorite. Just remember that for either of those front tires (and for Proline wedges as well), they are meant to go on a narrow wheel, so cut the inside rib off a regular wheel before mounting them.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #3357
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So we are cutting down the inner area of the wheel to fit the tires, so what is the best way thou have found to trim it down?
jdutch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #3358
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
So we are cutting down the inner area of the wheel to fit the tires, so what is the best way thou have found to trim it down?
Lexan scissors.

Trim the inner section off the fronts, rears are good to go.

No foams in the low profile fronts.

Soft open cell foams in schumacher rears.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #3359
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine View Post
Titanium drive shafts would be nice. Or would they create additional wear on the outdrives? Maybe titanium shafts with steel pins?
I wouldn't want titanium for my driveshafts, titanium is a brittle metal so it may just split before it would bend, and in that application it is useless because a thicker aluminum shaft will be about the same weight and strength and cost less. Titanium makes sense in screws and turnbuckles because it strong and light for it's density, but in something that you can make very thick, aluminum is just a cheaper, lighter option.

RC8.2e- 150a 2200kv HW + 1283sg
rcbuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #3360
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Why not carbon fiber driveshafts?
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote