TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
But on the B6 thread they are whining about it apparently being available already in Japan and not here. There's always something to complain about!

I've convinced myself that I don't need the laydown until I'm pushing hard enough that the buggy is holding me back. I'm not that good yet! Maybe a 4.0 will be out by the time that happens... then maybe the rage will be front-motor with belt drive to the back or something!
Thank you. I needed to read this and give myself a little dose of reality before buying another kit and the laydown conversion for a carpet car. I am definitely not there skill-wise to where my stand-up 3.0 is holding me back on the carpet tracks.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:22 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryan432greening
Thank you. I needed to read this and give myself a little dose of reality before buying another kit and the laydown conversion for a carpet car. I am definitely not there skill-wise to where my stand-up 3.0 is holding me back on the carpet tracks.
When you run a laydown on carpet though, it is probably 50% easier to drive once setup correctly. It is more than just a small change and will make a larger difference for drivers looking to improve than the guys at the front, IMO.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
When you run a laydown on carpet though, it is probably 50% easier to drive once setup correctly. It is more than just a small change and will make a larger difference for drivers looking to improve than the guys at the front, IMO.
Darn it, Frank when are you moving to the sales/marketing side? I kid, thanks for the input. I won't delete them from my "wish list"

Just need to figure out which class I can currently do without.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, that certainly sounds appealing. I do run the HRC front and rear on my original 3.0, but the stock transmission still raises the cg and has the motor further back compared to the laydown. I just have a tough time thinking I'm going to swap chassis for the occasional dirt race. I'd rather make my current rig a dirt car, then put together a new one for carpet only. Tough price point though... I know I'm not alone wishing there was a laydown-specific complete kit.

One question: on the setup sheets, I see you're running the kick shim under the pivot. Why not just run the HRC pivot?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
But on the B6 thread they are whining about it apparently being available already in Japan and not here. There's always something to complain about!

I've convinced myself that I don't need the laydown until I'm pushing hard enough that the buggy is holding me back. I'm not that good yet! Maybe a 4.0 will be out by the time that happens... then maybe the rage will be front-motor with belt drive to the back or something!
They tried that many moons ago but maybe with this "carpet explosion" it might come back since there are soooo many carpet tracks.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Anyone have trouble with the laydown conversion with the rear ball studs hitting the axles? Instructions say to use a 2mm washer but it seems like it needs another 2mm shim to get the clearance for the axle
Old 07-10-2016, 12:31 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by tony montana
Anyone have trouble with the laydown conversion with the rear ball studs hitting the axles? Instructions say to use a 2mm washer but it seems like it needs another 2mm shim to get the clearance for the axle
Depending on setup, you may need shorter ball studs. We have 6, 8 and 10mm lengths to get everything accommodated.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tony montana
Found this also but lucky I had some shorter studs in my box. A slight over sight by the team who designed the final conversion kit.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hey guys I'm trying Frank Roots setup to get rid of an on power push. How do you change the ackerman to low setting from standard?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:54 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Hey guys I'm trying Frank Roots setup to get rid of an on power push. How do you change the ackerman to low setting from standard?
Which setup, and what tires?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Which setup, and what tires?
The OC setup. I just noticed that it includes the laydown setup. I'm running microns or dirt webs at OC in HB.

My setup is pretty close to yours, with the exception of the shock oil, arm length camber links and ackerman.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM
TLRacing

The OC setup. I just noticed that it includes the laydown setup. I'm running microns or dirt webs at OC in HB.

My setup is pretty close to yours, with the exception of the shock oil, arm length camber links and ackerman.
The setup is like a symphony. Try to mix in parts that don't match, and you won't always hear the music as it was intended.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The setup is like a symphony. Try to mix in parts that don't match, and you won't always hear the music as it was intended.
Somebody should put this on a shirt. Direct from the man, the myth, and the legend that is Frank Root.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Thanks. Can you tell me how to change the ackerman settings to low from standard.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Thanks. Can you tell me how to change the ackerman settings to low from standard.
Nvm I figured it out by going to my AE manual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.