R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 07-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #3151
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspires688 View Post
Anyone know why the laydown conversion prices have went up on ebay and seem to be out of stock everywhere?
Supply and demand. When the supply is low and the demand is perceived to be high the price will rise.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #3152
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Anyone know why the laydown conversion prices have went up on ebay and seem to be out of stock everywhere?
High school economics... supply and demand.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #3153
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I heard by putting the 67mm cva dogbones will help gain more traction, because they go further into the outdrive and adds alittle friction?

Is this true?
rcdriver532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #3154
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriver532 View Post
I heard by putting the 67mm cva dogbones will help gain more traction, because they go further into the outdrive and adds alittle friction?

Is this true?
No, but they are the 'correct' length for the 3.0. I'd always run them.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #3155
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Can someone give me a basic run down of Transmission options from TLR?

You have the standard stand up 3 gear, the optional stand up 4 gear, both work with the stock chassis, right?

To run the "dirt" laydown, you have to buy the laydown chassis, which only comes in the kit that has the carpet laydown, which is back ordered, right?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #3156
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post

You have the standard stand up 3 gear, the optional stand up 4 gear, both work with the stock chassis, right?

To run the "dirt" laydown, you have to buy the laydown chassis, which only comes in the kit that has the carpet laydown, which is back ordered, right?
Yes, correct. More laydown kits will should be in stock in around 2 weeks.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #3157
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:

4 Gear Stand Up (Stock Chassis)- low bite tracks
3 Gear Stand Up (Stock Chassis)- Mid-High Bite
Dirt Transmission (Requires Laydown Conversion)- Good for high bite clay, doesn't require laydown hubs or front end mods.
Laydown Transmission- Good for super high bite clay, carpet, turf etc.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #3158
Tech Regular

Quote:

Sounds cost effective.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #3159
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rregl0612 View Post
Does anyone have a good setup for a hard pack dirt outdoor track it's medium to low traction. I was thinking of trying this. I will be running 17.5, non laydoen. Any thoughtshttp://site.petitrc.com/setup/losi/s...ldura20160612/
You can give my setup a try. You seen how fast my buggy is. It's the same setup I use at Pit Stop and it worked at Mushroom Bowls surface as well. All I do is change tires to the conditions. I should be at Pit Stop this saturday for the points race.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
RacerX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #3160
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher View Post
Sounds cost effective.
Exactly my thoughts.

Frank, any plans to make a kit with strictly the laydown parts available? I'd rather not have to buy $500 worth of product to build the car I want.

I could buy a B6 and B6D for that price point.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #3161
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX11 View Post
You can give my setup a try. You seen how fast my buggy is. It's the same setup I use at Pit Stop and it worked at Mushroom Bowls surface as well. All I do is change tires to the conditions. I should be at Pit Stop this saturday for the points race.
Should be there Saturday also. I'll give it a go. Thanks Chris
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #3162
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Just like they said ^.
Supply and demand; when the kool-aid (Laydown trans, front wing, etc... ) is in HIGH demand and eventually the supply runs down people will panic and spend more for the same thing... Usual human psychology... Is it necessary? No, this is a hobby... But it's only money right?

It's funny I am gone for 2 weeks and I come back and ppl are still whining about the laydown trans... I say go buy a B6 then... You'll be back if you can't magically cut 0.6 of a second off your lap times or else you'll be buying an X-Ray or a Yokomo... It's never the drivers skills is it?
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #3163
Tech Adept

Quote:

Exotek makes a laydown as well that is similar to the losi dirt laydown. You need to use their included g10 template to drill holes in the stock chassis. Pretty easy to do if you have the bits and countersink. I use it on both of my cars
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #3164
Tech Regular

Ran my Exotek Laydown car this past weekend and I feel like I'm getting the set up really dialed in for a 17.5 car, slicks on damp clay. The car is really easy to drive and real consistent. I started with Frank's OCRC & SDRC set up and changed to Kyosho gold front springs, 3 degrees of rear anti-squat, and standard rear hubs and front roll center. I tried 2mm spacers under the front camber ball studs 2 & B but the car was to "twitchy" 1mm under B is just right. Also going to long arm from short is probably the key change in setup for me since converting the car to a laydown tranny.
fantomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #3165
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Just like they said ^.
Supply and demand; when the kool-aid (Laydown trans, front wing, etc... ) is in HIGH demand and eventually the supply runs down people will panic and spend more for the same thing... Usual human psychology... Is it necessary? No, this is a hobby... But it's only money right?

It's funny I am gone for 2 weeks and I come back and ppl are still whining about the laydown trans... I say go buy a B6 then... You'll be back if you can't magically cut 0.6 of a second off your lap times or else you'll be buying an X-Ray or a Yokomo... It's never the drivers skills is it?
But on the B6 thread they are whining about it apparently being available already in Japan and not here. There's always something to complain about!

I've convinced myself that I don't need the laydown until I'm pushing hard enough that the buggy is holding me back. I'm not that good yet! Maybe a 4.0 will be out by the time that happens... then maybe the rage will be front-motor with belt drive to the back or something!
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote