Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread! >

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Old 06-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My local track just went to astroterph, what gear diff do I use in my 22 3.0, also what mods do you guys recommend obviously the laydown transmission what else. It's a very smooth track with average sized jumps.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thumper_pa
Well I've never owned a losi I was and still kinda die hard AE guy first real rc as a kid was gold pan. Anyways after some reading and looking I decided I wanted my first losi to be a TLR 22 3.0 buggy and I'm itching to get it I'm excited about a lot of things but mostly the unknown the brand itself is foreign to me. I'm going to run it as a mod buggy so any die hard losi guys or frank have any advice pointers on what to look for or do to the car I honestly don't have the time to read the hundreds of pages and weed out the best info so even though it may seem like a redundant ? Any help or insight would be great I'll be running a small indoor track with medium traction it's packed tight but no grooving some light dust time to time so I don't think the laud own will be anything of a improvement. Thanks so much
I'd just start with the kit setup and tune from there. It should be close to start.

Originally Posted by fantomdude
Frank

On your latest setups you have started going long arm in the front why is that? What does going to long arm instead of short arm due to the handling of the car.

Thanks
It smoothed out steering for me in higher speed turns. Reduced steering just a touch, but really helped the consistency. I've been running long arm since Reedy Race in January

Originally Posted by jt409
My local track just went to astroterph, what gear diff do I use in my 22 3.0, also what mods do you guys recommend obviously the laydown transmission what else. It's a very smooth track with average sized jumps.
This is the setup that Dustin and I came up with during testing at Northwest Hobbies.

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...2015-12-20.pdf

We ran the Losi Gear Diff for the 22, LOSA2954.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA2954
Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can use the Serpent gear diff for SRX-2 or SRX-4. Either fit, just need to shim both sides.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
You can use the Serpent gear diff for SRX-2 or SRX-4. Either fit, just need to shim both sides.
Where do you get the shims from?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the quick responses guys is there a preference on the diffs.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for all the quick responses guys is there a preference on the diffs.
Jamie i started with a gear diff and went back to a ball, turf is still a little squishy and a ball diff seems more consistent. I would keep a gear diff ready for when the track breaks in a bit more.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Jason I'll give my ball diff a go this Thursday.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I'd just start with the kit setup and tune from there. It should be close to start.

It smoothed out steering for me in higher speed turns. Reduced steering just a touch, but really helped the consistency. I've been running long arm since Reedy Race in January

This is the setup that Dustin and I came up with during testing at Northwest Hobbies.

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...2015-12-20.pdf

We ran the Losi Gear Diff for the 22, LOSA2954.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA2954
Was there a notable difference with rear shocks moved to the front?
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rally stylz
Was there a notable difference with rear shocks moved to the front?
Not much really, we just tried it per Ellis' suggestion and it wasn't worse so we didn't take it off.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have question on setup for a outdoor dirt track. It is loose and loamy and we run hole shots front and gridirons on the rear. I have moved the rear hubs forward and changed the rear camber block to 0 mm, lowered the front camber to 1mm on tower and 1mm on the camber block and moved the front camber to 1-A. The question is how can I make it a little smoother and faster on switch backs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na2wrghs7Kc this is how the track is and this next weekend we are running the other direction. My buggy is the one that started 1st and finished 2nd and is all white. I am running 17.5 and the guy that won is running a 7.5 so I know there is a power difference but want a little more out of it with out changing motor. My gearing is 75/32 and temps after 8 min is 160.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I got kyosho springs any calor to use with buggy. ??
Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ProfessorX
I got kyosho springs any calor to use with buggy. ??
gold front. Sometimes gold rear depending on track conditions.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdutch03
I have question on setup for a outdoor dirt track. It is loose and loamy and we run hole shots front and gridirons on the rear. I have moved the rear hubs forward and changed the rear camber block to 0 mm, lowered the front camber to 1mm on tower and 1mm on the camber block and moved the front camber to 1-A. The question is how can I make it a little smoother and faster on switch backs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na2wrghs7Kc this is how the track is and this next weekend we are running the other direction. My buggy is the one that started 1st and finished 2nd and is all white. I am running 17.5 and the guy that won is running a 7.5 so I know there is a power difference but want a little more out of it with out changing motor. My gearing is 75/32 and temps after 8 min is 160.
When you say you move your rear hubs forward do you go 3mm behind and 1mm spacer at front or all 4mm at the back to move it forward? Just having a few problems with traction on outdoor loose dirt still …Thanks
Old 06-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default just picked one of these up

Ready to rip some 17.5 around central Pa.. awesome to see such a huge following, I'm sure I'll have some questions..
For starters what's a good place to start on spur gearing?
Old 06-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rregl0612
Ready to rip some 17.5 around central Pa.. awesome to see such a huge following, I'm sure I'll have some questions..
For starters what's a good place to start on spur gearing?
There are a lot of variables like what motor are you going to use, what timing is it set at, how big is the track, what type of traction level is it. But people will still throw out gearing suggestions not knowing this information.

I have a Motiv motor, timing between 40-50 on the can, track is 100x48ish, grip is on the high side but not damp dirt/clay, and I would start at 70 spur 28 pinion based on that information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.