R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 06-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #3016
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
There are many other cars built for carpet. After AE bowed to the 6%ers out there I guess everybody else expects every other company to do the same thing. I am guessing here. So now every other company HAS to come out with a dirt car and a carpet car, ala X-Ray/AE/Yokomo...
Sworkz as well as HB have track specific cars. (HB not out yet, shocker)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #3017
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
looks like laydown is the new way to go. I am in the market for a new buggy, probably for 22 3.0; i guess i will wait for 4.0 ! Feeling that it will be out soon; especially with the new release from their major competitor, What do you think?
Maybe a combo pack but a 4.0...how about a 22 3.0L instead.

Besides, no TLR Representative will talk about future releases.
Anything that does not contain an official press release is considered a rumor.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #3018
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
The b5m is not that old either and they are already releasing the b6 and b6d so TLR will have to come out with a new kit to help keep up in the market
B5M was announced according to RCTech late Dec 2013. that makes the car easily 2 years old which is pretty standard for the life of a car in this industry.

Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

TLR 3.0 offical thread was started almost two years later in Nov of 2015

Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

there are other more recent versions of the B5M with Light and CE additions and the such but 22 3.0 is a new car.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #3019
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

I get that TLR missed the 'Laydown' trend. I understand the time it takes to produce a molded part vs a machined part....also the price of a molded vs machined delrin is significant. When the competition now has a car that can be changed from laydown to standup 3 gear for about $30 and a few minutes of time you hope that the company you currently support is working on something to provide their loyal customers with. A single chassis that accepts either would be great as well as a gear case that's molded vs machined would greatly reduce the cost for those that want the laydown option. Right now the most cost effective way is from Exotek.

Either way...you won't be getting any spy shots or info from anybody at TLR until the time of release....if they are working anything...

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #3020
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have both the 3.0 standard and the 3.0 laydown chassis plates laying in front of me. It appears that with two more holes in the laydown chassis plate, it could accommodate both gearbox styles. Not sure why TLR decided not to drill those holes in the new laydown chassis so we could change back more easily.

There might be more changes than that though. Perhaps Frank could chime in.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #3021
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte024h View Post
I have both the 3.0 standard and the 3.0 laydown chassis plates laying in front of me. It appears that with two more holes in the laydown chassis plate, it could accommodate both gearbox styles. Not sure why TLR decided not to drill those holes in the new laydown chassis so we could change back more easily.

There might be more changes than that though. Perhaps Frank could chime in.
You are correct. Drilled my laydown chassis for the standard transmission. A couple of 1mm shims under the waterfall for battery clearance and 5 minute swap with a power driver. Used the standard chassis as a template to drill the holes for the waterfall.
Losi Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #3022
Tech Initiate

Although I believe the laydown will offer a small advantage on carpet and Astro, I don't think it's deathly necessary. I happily run at the front of the field with the stock gearbox and I don't think we're that much off the pass of the international guys.

In saying that, I would still like to see Losi offer a complete laydown kit
rally stylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #3023
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Frank, is it correct to say that the TLR guys prefer the laydown over the standard for OCRC? I saw one of your younger team mates the other day and wanted to ask him, but thought better of it - it looked like he was doing lots of setup testing.

Anyway, what do you think and when can I try your laydown car at OCRC?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #3024
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Frank,

i amlookng at your stock nats setup sheat, it calls for 31.xx shock length, are you simply unscrewing the bottom eyelet 3-4 turns out, or running a different eyelet...or, a longer shock shaft??

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #3025
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Unscrewing eyelet.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #3026
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
I get that TLR missed the 'Laydown' trend. I understand the time it takes to produce a molded part vs a machined part....also the price of a molded vs machined delrin is significant. When the competition now has a car that can be changed from laydown to standup 3 gear for about $30 and a few minutes of time you hope that the company you currently support is working on something to provide their loyal customers with. A single chassis that accepts either would be great as well as a gear case that's molded vs machined would greatly reduce the cost for those that want the laydown option. Right now the most cost effective way is from Exotek.

Either way...you won't be getting any spy shots or info from anybody at TLR until the time of release....if they are working anything...
It remains to be seen to know if a convertible car is the way to go as well. The biggest thing I'm noticing is how the outdrive height is being adjusted on the 3.0 to be more dirt friendly to allow higher ride heights. The industry is really new to laydown, and you can never expect something to take off until after it's released. I think you will see laydown evolve even more as guys learn how to make it better, and THEN you will see things happen. Right now you have different tranny cases for different conditions.

Plus, what about running a standard car with a HRC front and rear block? I bet that would work very well also.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #3027
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I ran the HRC blocks front and rear on slicks just before the laydown car. It was really good unfortunately I didn't get as much time on it as hoped, but with the time I had it was very promising. A lot of corner speed.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #3028
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
It remains to be seen to know if a convertible car is the way to go as well. The biggest thing I'm noticing is how the outdrive height is being adjusted on the 3.0 to be more dirt friendly to allow higher ride heights. The industry is really new to laydown, and you can never expect something to take off until after it's released. I think you will see laydown evolve even more as guys learn how to make it better, and THEN you will see things happen. Right now you have different tranny cases for different conditions.
Right now it's the cost that kept me from getting into laydown and I'm sure have kept others. You can get by with 1 chassis....there are guys drilling the std chassis for the laydown trans, it's not hard. The machined $70 tranny case as well. If you are going to run a 22 3.0 laydown on dirt it's $330 for the kit, $170 for the laydown and another $70 for the dirt tranny case. Ridiculous.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #3029
Tech Adept

The exotek is the most affordable option currently. And you dont need to buy an extra dirt case the carpet one will work fine... the exotek case is the same as the tlr dirt laydown for the most part anyways.

Of course if you dont have access to a drill press and countersink bits the exotek is going to not work so well for you
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #3030
Tech Elite

I just put the dirt tranny in. Had to adjust a lot of my setup accordingly mainly front end and droop. I really like the standard laydown but I want to see what this does with more ride height to use. Dustin said he runs the dirt case with standard droop and 23mm.

Last edited by K_King; 06-03-2016 at 07:07 AM.
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote