TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Even those of us that have the car already can't justify that price
That's where I am and I am plenty pleased with the performance as it sits!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by thecman26
There are many other cars built for carpet. After AE bowed to the 6%ers out there I guess everybody else expects every other company to do the same thing. I am guessing here. So now every other company HAS to come out with a dirt car and a carpet car, ala X-Ray/AE/Yokomo...
Please qoute me where i say they "HAVE to", i like them to do so and if not as stated before this will likely push me away from the brand(even if i dont want to) if they dont because like you said ,there are plenty that do make a carpet car.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

I know, I am with you, why? The 3.0 handles exceptionally well IMHO coming from a B5MFL I think the stock 3.0 is amazing! I run on dirt so I'm knot jerking my knee. I'm keeping mine stock...
i am right there with you the stock 3.0 is fantastic. but i like tweaking and building custom stuff so this whole low profile thing is intriguing to me

just finishing my stock car, getting ready for practice tomorrow. im going to have both transmissions at the ready and pre built so i can drop in and go for either type. im thinking that the low profile stuff will be great for stock since you should technically be able to carry so much corner speed.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gokarter64
i am right there with you the stock 3.0 is fantastic. but i like tweaking and building custom stuff so this whole low profile thing is intriguing to me

just finishing my stock car, getting ready for practice tomorrow. im going to have both transmissions at the ready and pre built so i can drop in and go for either type. im thinking that the low profile stuff will be great for stock since you should technically be able to carry so much corner speed.
Nice car man!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That's where I am and I am plenty pleased with the performance as it sits!
I'm enjoying mine as is as well. I do know the laydown carries killer corner speed as I use to have the YZ-2. All my vehicles are TLR and they will stay that way unless I get my doors blown off by something new
Old 05-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

The Laydown conversion is a tuning option not a must have. I decided to get the exotek cause I wanted to be able to switch between the two. I run on clay with slicks and Yes the car is that much better with the laydown and IMO worth the money. Also IMO if you traction roll at your track a laydown will be better if you don't then it may not be for you.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gokarter64

About how much weight did you shed by going to CF? And more importantly, how does it feel?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
About how much weight did you shed by going to CF? And more importantly, how does it feel?
1507 with the light 3.0 body 1540 with the yz2 body because its super thick

i personally think cf is the best chassis material for dirt tracks. the feel is fantastic and i can tune the flex by adjusting the tension on the screws. its not much lighter than stock but i personally prefer it.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I'm enjoying mine as is as well. I do know the laydown carries killer corner speed as I use to have the YZ-2. All my vehicles are TLR and they will stay that way unless I get my doors blown off by something new
Last time I checked a good driver with an old car can still beat an average driver with the "latest greatest"!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Last time I checked a good driver with an old car can still beat an average driver with the "latest greatest"!
I agree.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It's not that hard to figure out. I have my standard car that will stay standard. I'm going to buy a second used car. Take the transmission off of it and take what I need and buy the rest to make a complete 4 gear transmission waiting in the box if I need it. Then I'm going to take the second used car that I bought and turn it into a lay down car. Complete with the front roll center mod frank showed in that fb live clip. And there you go. Ready for whatever.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree.
This all said is true, but I ran OCRC with the standard setup on a Wednesday night. On Saturday I ran the laydown and I was immediately a full lap faster even with mistakes, 2 laps faster without mistakes.

I took all my spare parts and with $200 more I was able to assemble another standard car. Now I have both, average cost $375 each

Plus I converted my old 22 2.0 back to a rear motor for the old school outdoor track I race local.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

looks like laydown is the new way to go. I am in the market for a new buggy, probably for 22 3.0; i guess i will wait for 4.0 ! Feeling that it will be out soon; especially with the new release from their major competitor, What do you think?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I doubt a 4.0 will come that soon. 3.0 is not that old.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Casper
I doubt a 4.0 will come that soon. 3.0 is not that old.
The b5m is not that old either and they are already releasing the b6 and b6d so TLR will have to come out with a new kit to help keep up in the market

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.