R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #2776
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

I would love to build a laydown specific car but at $500+ it doesn't make much sense.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #2777
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
I would love to build a laydown specific car but at $500+ it doesn't make much sense.
Yeah i dunno what TLR's strategy is on releasing a brand new platform only to reveal a laydown system shortly after. They must have had it in the works for awhile so it cant be an after thought right? which leads me to believe that they are doing this to target the market where guys want to have the option of running a carpet or dirt configuration at a lower price, instead of having to buy 2 seperate kits. BUT....
It would be $510 for the 22 3.0 with the laydown conversion versus 2 B6s at $618 so there is abit of savings there but i dont know if thats even worth the trouble of swopping components if you travel between different surface tracks often. I think i personally would just buy 2 cars.

But for someone who just wants to buy a 'carpet' specific car, $510 is way too much to pay for a buggy.

Anyway, just my thoughts...
juicy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #2778
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anyone know the " A,B,C " labeling of the holes on the new alum +3 hubs? A,B,C the back 3 holes and D,E,F the front 3 holes? Lol
Medicinal Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #2779
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
They put out an addendum to the instructions for Savox servos. It looks like you need to trim the servo ears. Did you have to do that?
No that was in regards to the older 22 steering rack set.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #2780
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If on the fence about buying a laydown transmission, try running your car with the battery all the way forward and adjust the setup until you're getting everything you can out of it. Is it better than before? If yes, get the laydown. If no, better stay with the regular transmission?
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #2781
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Well after my first run on the 3.0 I have to ay I am MIGHTILY IMPRESSED!
I was having gear mesh issues and sensor wire problems so I missed my first round. The second qualifier I started out easy on the car but towards the end of that run I was gaining MUCH more confidence in the car! The second qualifier I made quite a few boneheaded mistakes but considering the track was getting blown out quick (it was very dry and chunking out a bit) I was able to keep it under control for the most part.

I ended up qualifying 2nd in the B Main. I felt VERY good with the buggy and ended up taking the win in the B Main. I got one of the 2 bump spots into the main where I pretty much had more fun with it!

I think Frank and the gang at TLR hit it outta the ballpark with this one!
Box stock setup with only change being Pink rear springs.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #2782
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thinking about adding HRC pivots to the front and back for my high bite track...would it be overkill to add these along with the lcg conversion kit? I know they adjusted some stuff in the rear to raise the roll center already, so maybe just use the HRC front block and leave the rear lrc?
MrLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #2783
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLean View Post
Thinking about adding HRC pivots to the front and back for my high bite track...would it be overkill to add these along with the lcg conversion kit? I know they adjusted some stuff in the rear to raise the roll center already, so maybe just use the HRC front block and leave the rear lrc?
The rear roll center has essentially already been raised by them raising the diff height 3.5mm and the driveshaft height 3mm. Running the HRC front pivot essentially takes roll away from the front end making the car easier to drive. adding the rear HRC should make the car more free. If you have really good traction it might be something worth trying.

I know Frank Root is running the LRC rear pivots and HRC front pivot on his laydown car. I will be running my laydown car for the first time this week and plan on starting with the same setup.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #2784
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
I didnt Pay near that much to build mine. I kept my 22 2.0 and all i did was buy hrc blocks, hinge pins, servo mounts, exotek lcg trans, rear tower,and a wing mount/ bumper set. I had a 3.0 chassis already because i exchanged mine for a carbon fiber one. All i had to do was shave down one side of the rear arms a bit, havent Run it yet but its ready to go for a lot cheaper than 500 bucks, even if you didnt have a spare chassis laying around. Once its built use a yz2 body, they fit nicely and cover the spur gear easily
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #2785
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokarter64 View Post
I didnt Pay near that much to build mine. I kept my 22 2.0 and all i did was buy hrc blocks, hinge pins, servo mounts, exotek lcg trans, rear tower,and a wing mount/ bumper set. I had a 3.0 chassis already because i exchanged mine for a carbon fiber one. All i had to do was shave down one side of the rear arms a bit, havent Run it yet but its ready to go for a lot cheaper than 500 bucks, even if you didnt have a spare chassis laying around. Once its built use a yz2 body, they fit nicely and cover the spur gear easily
he could buy a yz2, xb2, or b6d for around the same and much easier of a time.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #2786
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLean View Post
The +3mm hubs (come with laydown) change the rear roll center, so stay with LRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicinal Coma View Post
Does anyone know the " A,B,C " labeling of the holes on the new alum +3 hubs? A,B,C the back 3 holes and D,E,F the front 3 holes? Lol
I'd start with middle hole in the back row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy74 View Post
Yeah i dunno what TLR's strategy is on releasing a brand new platform only to reveal a laydown system shortly after. They must have had it in the works for awhile so it cant be an after thought right? which leads me to believe that they are doing this to target the market where guys want to have the option of running a carpet or dirt configuration at a lower price, instead of having to buy 2 seperate kits. BUT....
It would be $510 for the 22 3.0 with the laydown conversion versus 2 B6s at $618 so there is abit of savings there but i dont know if thats even worth the trouble of swopping components if you travel between different surface tracks often. I think i personally would just buy 2 cars.

But for someone who just wants to buy a 'carpet' specific car, $510 is way too much to pay for a buggy.

Anyway, just my thoughts...
Things change quickly in this industry/market, and the 22 3.0 was DONE and shipping before we knew laydown had to be an option. I'm pretty excited we were able to get a solution out this quickly to service our consumers.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #2787
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Things change quickly in this industry/market, and the 22 3.0 was DONE and shipping before we knew laydown had to be an option. I'm pretty excited we were able to get a solution out this quickly to service our consumers.
To be honest unless your running on carpet the 3.0 can be made to work just about anywhere. If you are a carpet muncher then you just have to ask yourself do you absolutely "NEED" a low rider transmission? If so then get the kit. Thhis isn't a cheap hobby realistically... If you wanna complain try getting into golf!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #2788
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
To be honest unless your running on carpet the 3.0 can be made to work just about anywhere. If you are a carpet muncher then you just have to ask yourself do you absolutely "NEED" a low rider transmission? If so then get the kit. Thhis isn't a cheap hobby realistically... If you wanna complain try getting into golf!
After driving the laydown on my home track(medium to high bite clay) my opinion is that the laydown is better, carries more corner speed because it wont traction roll. Corner speed is king and the laydown conversion can be pushed harder without the rolling. If your a club racer you want it in your arsenal
Flip boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #2789
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Frank. I have to agree that you guys worked super fast on the laydown option. I'm still curious though, why didnt TLR just release a laydown car instead of a conversion?
juicy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #2790
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy74 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Frank. I have to agree that you guys worked super fast on the laydown option. I'm still curious though, why didnt TLR just release a laydown car instead of a conversion?
Time, cost and quantities.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote