R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #2776
Super Moderator
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 5,693
Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)
Default

I would love to build a laydown specific car but at $500+ it doesn't make much sense.
__________________
Thanks to: JConcepts ~ Schelle ~ Kustom RC Graphics

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #2777
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 501
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
I would love to build a laydown specific car but at $500+ it doesn't make much sense.
Yeah i dunno what TLR's strategy is on releasing a brand new platform only to reveal a laydown system shortly after. They must have had it in the works for awhile so it cant be an after thought right? which leads me to believe that they are doing this to target the market where guys want to have the option of running a carpet or dirt configuration at a lower price, instead of having to buy 2 seperate kits. BUT....
It would be $510 for the 22 3.0 with the laydown conversion versus 2 B6s at $618 so there is abit of savings there but i dont know if thats even worth the trouble of swopping components if you travel between different surface tracks often. I think i personally would just buy 2 cars.

But for someone who just wants to buy a 'carpet' specific car, $510 is way too much to pay for a buggy.

Anyway, just my thoughts...
juicy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #2778
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know the " A,B,C " labeling of the holes on the new alum +3 hubs? A,B,C the back 3 holes and D,E,F the front 3 holes? Lol
Medicinal Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #2779
Tech Champion
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 5,018
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
They put out an addendum to the instructions for Savox servos. It looks like you need to trim the servo ears. Did you have to do that?
No that was in regards to the older 22 steering rack set.
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #2780
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

If on the fence about buying a laydown transmission, try running your car with the battery all the way forward and adjust the setup until you're getting everything you can out of it. Is it better than before? If yes, get the laydown. If no, better stay with the regular transmission?
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #2781
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,694
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Well after my first run on the 3.0 I have to ay I am MIGHTILY IMPRESSED!
I was having gear mesh issues and sensor wire problems so I missed my first round. The second qualifier I started out easy on the car but towards the end of that run I was gaining MUCH more confidence in the car! The second qualifier I made quite a few boneheaded mistakes but considering the track was getting blown out quick (it was very dry and chunking out a bit) I was able to keep it under control for the most part.

I ended up qualifying 2nd in the B Main. I felt VERY good with the buggy and ended up taking the win in the B Main. I got one of the 2 bump spots into the main where I pretty much had more fun with it!

I think Frank and the gang at TLR hit it outta the ballpark with this one!
Box stock setup with only change being Pink rear springs.
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #2782
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 205
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Thinking about adding HRC pivots to the front and back for my high bite track...would it be overkill to add these along with the lcg conversion kit? I know they adjusted some stuff in the rear to raise the roll center already, so maybe just use the HRC front block and leave the rear lrc?
MrLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #2783
Tech Regular
 
Team Pink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 425
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLean View Post
Thinking about adding HRC pivots to the front and back for my high bite track...would it be overkill to add these along with the lcg conversion kit? I know they adjusted some stuff in the rear to raise the roll center already, so maybe just use the HRC front block and leave the rear lrc?
The rear roll center has essentially already been raised by them raising the diff height 3.5mm and the driveshaft height 3mm. Running the HRC front pivot essentially takes roll away from the front end making the car easier to drive. adding the rear HRC should make the car more free. If you have really good traction it might be something worth trying.

I know Frank Root is running the LRC rear pivots and HRC front pivot on his laydown car. I will be running my laydown car for the first time this week and plan on starting with the same setup.
__________________
Team Losi Racing/ Spektrum/ Horizon Hobby/ JConcepts/ Hobby Star/ Schelle Racing
Team Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #2784
Tech Adept
 
gokarter64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Near Tacoma RC Raceway
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
I would love to build a laydown specific car but at $500+ it doesn't make much sense.
I didnt Pay near that much to build mine. I kept my 22 2.0 and all i did was buy hrc blocks, hinge pins, servo mounts, exotek lcg trans, rear tower,and a wing mount/ bumper set. I had a 3.0 chassis already because i exchanged mine for a carbon fiber one. All i had to do was shave down one side of the rear arms a bit, havent Run it yet but its ready to go for a lot cheaper than 500 bucks, even if you didnt have a spare chassis laying around. Once its built use a yz2 body, they fit nicely and cover the spur gear easily
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #2785
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokarter64 View Post
I didnt Pay near that much to build mine. I kept my 22 2.0 and all i did was buy hrc blocks, hinge pins, servo mounts, exotek lcg trans, rear tower,and a wing mount/ bumper set. I had a 3.0 chassis already because i exchanged mine for a carbon fiber one. All i had to do was shave down one side of the rear arms a bit, havent Run it yet but its ready to go for a lot cheaper than 500 bucks, even if you didnt have a spare chassis laying around. Once its built use a yz2 body, they fit nicely and cover the spur gear easily
he could buy a yz2, xb2, or b6d for around the same and much easier of a time.
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #2786
TLRacing
 
Frank Root's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,352
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLean View Post
Thinking about adding HRC pivots to the front and back for my high bite track...would it be overkill to add these along with the lcg conversion kit? I know they adjusted some stuff in the rear to raise the roll center already, so maybe just use the HRC front block and leave the rear lrc?
The +3mm hubs (come with laydown) change the rear roll center, so stay with LRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicinal Coma View Post
Does anyone know the " A,B,C " labeling of the holes on the new alum +3 hubs? A,B,C the back 3 holes and D,E,F the front 3 holes? Lol
I'd start with middle hole in the back row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy74 View Post
Yeah i dunno what TLR's strategy is on releasing a brand new platform only to reveal a laydown system shortly after. They must have had it in the works for awhile so it cant be an after thought right? which leads me to believe that they are doing this to target the market where guys want to have the option of running a carpet or dirt configuration at a lower price, instead of having to buy 2 seperate kits. BUT....
It would be $510 for the 22 3.0 with the laydown conversion versus 2 B6s at $618 so there is abit of savings there but i dont know if thats even worth the trouble of swopping components if you travel between different surface tracks often. I think i personally would just buy 2 cars.

But for someone who just wants to buy a 'carpet' specific car, $510 is way too much to pay for a buggy.

Anyway, just my thoughts...
Things change quickly in this industry/market, and the 22 3.0 was DONE and shipping before we knew laydown had to be an option. I'm pretty excited we were able to get a solution out this quickly to service our consumers.
__________________
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #2787
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,694
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Things change quickly in this industry/market, and the 22 3.0 was DONE and shipping before we knew laydown had to be an option. I'm pretty excited we were able to get a solution out this quickly to service our consumers.
To be honest unless your running on carpet the 3.0 can be made to work just about anywhere. If you are a carpet muncher then you just have to ask yourself do you absolutely "NEED" a low rider transmission? If so then get the kit. Thhis isn't a cheap hobby realistically... If you wanna complain try getting into golf!
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #2788
Tech Adept
 
Flip boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 109
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
To be honest unless your running on carpet the 3.0 can be made to work just about anywhere. If you are a carpet muncher then you just have to ask yourself do you absolutely "NEED" a low rider transmission? If so then get the kit. Thhis isn't a cheap hobby realistically... If you wanna complain try getting into golf!
After driving the laydown on my home track(medium to high bite clay) my opinion is that the laydown is better, carries more corner speed because it wont traction roll. Corner speed is king and the laydown conversion can be pushed harder without the rolling. If your a club racer you want it in your arsenal
Flip boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #2789
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 501
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Things change quickly in this industry/market, and the 22 3.0 was DONE and shipping before we knew laydown had to be an option. I'm pretty excited we were able to get a solution out this quickly to service our consumers.
Thanks for the clarification, Frank. I have to agree that you guys worked super fast on the laydown option. I'm still curious though, why didnt TLR just release a laydown car instead of a conversion?
juicy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #2790
TLRacing
 
Frank Root's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,352
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy74 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Frank. I have to agree that you guys worked super fast on the laydown option. I'm still curious though, why didnt TLR just release a laydown car instead of a conversion?
Time, cost and quantities.
__________________
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Maynard46_2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:56 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net