R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 04-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #2686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsair View Post
Are you guys getting the laydown for carpet or are some of you running it on high-grip clay?
I tested the exotek transmission today on a med bite hard pack track that can get Dusty. I added 30grams behind the motor and ran the reedy battery weight. I have to say, the buggy was awesome to drive. So much steering and plenty of rear grip. Very easy to throw hard in the corner with it getting crazy. Now jumping was even better. Felt like a 4wd buggy in the air.
skyline1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #2687
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Avid MOD slipper

Hello Iv'e been trying to research this for a couple days with no luck on the web. I have just bought a 22 3.0 and put a tekin gen3 redline 7.5 in it and it has a AVID "Mod" Triad Slipper Clutch with a 81T spur or I can switch it to the 84T spur. I run on a indoor clay med-high bite smooth track not that big of a track TRCR to be exact with a lot of turns. I'm just trying to find out what Pinion would be a good start for me to go with? Everyones input would be greatly appreciated. I'm a noob when it comes to buggies haven't even been on the track yet with it but I've been into shortcourse for a little now and do decent at that. I rather have to adjust the EPA and get use to the buggy first than have it geared too low and want more power later on.
Bikemaster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #2688
Tech Adept

Default Impressed

I was very hesitant to purchase the new 3.0 as our tracks here in Australia that we race on can be pretty dry and loose compared to the US.

HOWEVER

I have now been running my 3.0 for the past two weeks on my local tracks and am very impressed with the car. I cannot believe the amount of rear grip this car generates compared to my RM 2.0. I don't know how this is possible considering it is a mid motor car but it does. I believe the extra traction I am feeling is a result of this car being able to carry more mid and exit corner speed.

I am running kit setup with no shock limiters in the front, 1mm shock limiters in the rear and rear hubs moved forward. I am using the 3-gear tranny also. I run stock 17.5.

Very happy with the car.
ChrisUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:17 AM   #2689
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rangerjkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemaster00 View Post
Hello Iv'e been trying to research this for a couple days with no luck on the web. I have just bought a 22 3.0 and put a tekin gen3 redline 7.5 in it and it has a AVID "Mod" Triad Slipper Clutch with a 81T spur or I can switch it to the 84T spur. I run on a indoor clay med-high bite smooth track not that big of a track TRCR to be exact with a lot of turns. I'm just trying to find out what Pinion would be a good start for me to go with? Everyones input would be greatly appreciated. I'm a noob when it comes to buggies haven't even been on the track yet with it but I've been into shortcourse for a little now and do decent at that. I rather have to adjust the EPA and get use to the buggy first than have it geared too low and want more power later on.
To keep it closest to the guides recommended gearing for a 7.5T Motor, I believe a 22T pionion would be your best option with the 81T spur. If my math is correct the kit starting recommendation for a 7.5T is around 9.026 FDR. Using a 81T spur and a 22T pinion I believe gets you a 8.947 FDR. Hope this is helpful and TRCR is a fantastic place to race!
JB
rangerjkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 AM   #2690
LT
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUU View Post
I was very hesitant to purchase the new 3.0 as our tracks here in Australia that we race on can be pretty dry and loose compared to the US.

HOWEVER

I have now been running my 3.0 for the past two weeks on my local tracks and am very impressed with the car. I cannot believe the amount of rear grip this car generates compared to my RM 2.0. I don't know how this is possible considering it is a mid motor car but it does. I believe the extra traction I am feeling is a result of this car being able to carry more mid and exit corner speed.

I am running kit setup with no shock limiters in the front, 1mm shock limiters in the rear and rear hubs moved forward. I am using the 3-gear tranny also. I run stock 17.5.

Very happy with the car.
Could not agree more. My local track here in Texas is outdoor and conditions range throughout the day. Its always been a rear motor type track, mid has been tried unsuccessfully several times. Top three 2wd are all 22 3.0 now.
LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:55 AM   #2691
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjkb View Post
To keep it closest to the guides recommended gearing for a 7.5T Motor, I believe a 22T pionion would be your best option with the 81T spur. If my math is correct the kit starting recommendation for a 7.5T is around 9.026 FDR. Using a 81T spur and a 22T pinion I believe gets you a 8.947 FDR. Hope this is helpful and TRCR is a fantastic place to race!
JB
+1, give or take a tooth in either direction for comfort, using the stock slipper i run 21/78 & my track MHOR is a little smaller than yours
Flip boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #2692
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
TLR already has "dirt" diff height gear boxes on order and in production. This will be an add-on part to the laydown conversion to have the diff as a 'standard height'. They won't be here for a while, but it is definitely in the works so don't sweat it
thats nice to have as an option for the low profile kits.

what i was talking about with exotek was an aluminum 3 gear in the traditional mid motor style instead of a low profile. in stock classes having the accuracy of machined parts is a big deal for rolling resistance and heat reduction. not to mention aluminum gives the added advantage of acting like a big heat sink.

if anyone liked the mip box for the b5 series of vehicles exotek will make something similar for the 22 3.0 if they notice enough interest.
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #2693
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks JB and Flip boy I appreciate the help!
Bikemaster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #2694
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does the 2.0 body work on this car ?
Rc4life1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #2695
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc4life1978 View Post
Does the 2.0 body work on this car ?
It does not. The chassis on the 3.0 is quite a bit wider than the 2.0.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #2696
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Frank-
Is the laydown body available soon?

or is it the same as the 330007 ultra lite..

8ight 4.0 - 8ight-E 4.0 - TC7.1 - 22 2.0
Kewlbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #2697
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn bkr View Post
It does not. The chassis on the 3.0 is quite a bit wider than the 2.0.
The laydown chassis is the same width as the stock 3.0 chassis
solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #2698
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got my laydown conversion yesterday and installed it, and ran it last night on the turf. Its a very nice kit, everything went together smoothly. The only issue i had was the screws to hold the battery strap were longer than what was listed in the instructions. The sheet said 6mm and my kit had 10mm screws so they stick out and are bit ugly but i will dremel them down to the correct height.

The car ran good with the little practice time that I got and i made some minor changes throughout the night. Im very happy with this kit!
solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #2699
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly View Post
The laydown chassis is the same width as the stock 3.0 chassis
That's not what was asked.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #2700
Tech Adept