R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 03-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #2251
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help guys does a 17.5t motor helps in clearing the jump easily?
Also a recommended Gera ratio for 17.5t motor
Thanks in advance
stashy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #2252
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_WORD View Post
gear ratio help for a 17.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashy77 View Post
Thanks for the help guys does a 17.5t motor helps in clearing the jump easily?
Also a recommended Gera ratio for 17.5t motor
Thanks in advance

The manual recommends 31/70. Im currently running 31/69, and think im happy. Havent had it on a track yet, and really my time with it is pretty minimal.

There is a bunch of discussion on this not to far back in this thread thats very helpful.
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #2253
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy74 View Post
Yeah its a yz2 transmission. Some guy on the UK forum did this mod. Looks pretty good doesnt it? But thats it, he posted pictures with no other details
Here some detail

I'm racing the car weekly on astroturf and the car is now as good as my Yokomo was. It didn't take much to fit the tranny in, I've made 2 adapter plate , added some meet to the case (Plast-aid) to drill new hole and drilled two hole in the chassis. No issue so far and the Yokomo gear diff is very good! SO its good enough until TLR release one

I should have sanded the tranny once the plast-aid was applied but I just wanted to test if it was holding first and kept it that way.

Last edited by J@UNE; 03-03-2016 at 08:19 AM.
J@UNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #2254
Tech Rookie

Venom 2S LiPo 25C Hardcase Battery Pack w/Universal Connector (7.4V/5000mAh) will this fit in the losi 22 3.0? thanks
Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 AM   #2255
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Venom 2S LiPo 25C Hardcase Battery Pack w/Universal Connector (7.4V/5000mAh) will this fit in the losi 22 3.0? thanks
The 3.0 will only fit a shorty, square, or saddle pack. A full size lipo pack will not fit in the car.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #2256
Tech Rookie

thanks will this Schumacher Racing "Mini Pin Slim" Premounted 2.2" 1/10 2WD Buggy Front Tires (2) (White) (No Hex) fit the front?
Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #2257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@UNE View Post
Here some detail

I'm racing the car weekly on astroturf and the car is now as good as my Yokomo was. It didn't take much to fit the tranny in, I've made 2 adapter plate , added some meet to the case to drill new hole and drilled two hole in the chassis. No issue so far and the Yokomo gear diff is very good! SO its good enough until TLR release one

Pics aren't working.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #2258
Tech Adept

Quote:
thanks will this Schumacher Racing "Mini Pin Slim" Premounted 2.2" 1/10 2WD Buggy Front Tires (2) (White) (No Hex) fit the front?
No those wheels on the premounts don't have the correct offset and they use bearings instead of hexes on the front. Buy some new 3.0 wheels and mount the tire like in the picture then cut off the excess rim

gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #2259
Tech Adept

Quote:
Here some detail

I'm racing the car weekly on astroturf and the car is now as good as my Yokomo was. It didn't take much to fit the tranny in, I've made 2 adapter plate , added some meet to the case to drill new hole and drilled two hole in the chassis. No issue so far and the Yokomo gear diff is very good! SO its good enough until TLR release one
Your pics are broken. I would like to get a peek, I'm working on both a low profile transmission that will drop into the stock chassis (some of us just can't wait for the guys at TLR ), and a yz2 styled conversion kit. I'm hoping to have draft one finished this weekend and get a prototype back for testing. Once I deem it OK the drop in version will go up on a shape ways store for everyone to enjoy. If things go smoothly I may have it ready by mid March
Old 03-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #2260
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokarter64 View Post
Your pics are broken.
Fixed thanks! Can't wait to see what you will come up with!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #2261
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Do you have to run a shorty servo or is that just a personal preference? Or how much room is there if you run a standard one.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #2262
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3srcracing View Post
Do you have to run a shorty servo or is that just a personal preference? Or how much room is there if you run a standard one.
You can run a standard length servo in the car, not a standard battery though.

Last edited by electrickid; 03-03-2016 at 11:10 AM.
electrickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #2263
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Here some detail

I'm racing the car weekly on astroturf and the car is now as good as my Yokomo was. It didn't take much to fit the tranny in, I've made 2 adapter plate , added some meet to the case (Plast-aid) to drill new hole and drilled two hole in the chassis. No issue so far and the Yokomo gear diff is very good! SO its good enough until TLR release one

I should have sanded the tranny once the plast-aid was applied but I just wanted to test if it was holding first and kept it that way.

Wow. The internet is a scary place.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #2264
Tech Adept

Quote:
I fit an orion r10 and a rx461 airtronics rx in my 3.0 with a standard servo.

Last edited by gokarter64; 03-03-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #2265
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I run a full sized servo, a Spektrum S300 receiver and a Novak Pulse and it all fits. The ESC and receiver I run are considerably larger than most other electronics I see, but they fit. I think the shorty servo is mostly a preference/weight reduction thing.
68pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote