R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2016, 04:01 AM   #2011
Tech Elite
 
JEFFs SC10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlandooooo, Fl
Posts: 3,783
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Racer View Post
It's worth trying the option to try for yourself. I have it on the 22 3.0 as well. More forward bite.



Not necessarily. Tebo ran 4 gear style in Dec 2015 at JC Nats at Hobby Plex, and also at the Jan 2016 CRCRC Midwest champs in his RB6. Both tracks had plenty of high bite using clay based compound tires, Chainlinks and Electrons respectively.



JR Mitch of TLR also runs 4 gear on his 22 3.0. Tebo runs it in his RB6 as mentioned above.

While we are on the 4 gear topic, of interest is the Cactus Classis 2wd Mod A-2 race last year. Ty Tessman ran 4-gear in his 2wd, while rest of the field seemed to have 3-gear in their 2wd. Ty had full command of the race the entire time, and control.

Ty was simply untouchable with his 4-gear HB 2wd buggy winning the overall 2wd mod event. The 2015 Cactus Classis was a super high bite sugared track!

I found a video link of the event. It seemed like the 3-gear box cars (including Cavalieri's) had trouble clearing or timing the middle long triple section in the middle of the track with the 3-gear, but Ty's 4-gearbox 2wd cleared it every time with ease and plenty of forward traction no problem, and handled rest of track sections very well. He was way out front with his 4-gear 2wd then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvEcVHEbFw
I wouldn't say that's all tributable to him running a 4 gear though. It could be HB hasn't developed a 3 gear yet. I think he had the right setup which set him apart from the rest of crowd.
__________________
XRAY 2017 T4
CRC Gen X SE- 17.5 GT
Xray X12-17' GT12
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway

Last edited by JEFFs SC10; 02-14-2016 at 06:26 AM.
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #2012
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 288
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 4wd Racer
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
I wouldn't say that's all tributable to him running a 4 gear though. It could be HB hasn't developed a 3 gear yet. I think he had the right setup which set him apart from the rest of crowd.
You said it, he had a right set-up!

His 4 gear 2wd set-up on the high bite sugared track was simply dialed and had exellent forward traction & driveability over the mostly 3 gear field. Watching the 3-gear cars they just seemed to struggle a bit in getting on the throttle, or clearing the mid section triple as easily, and wasn't as locked in on some sections.

Currently Ty runs the HB 3-gear configuration, & it doesn't seem as fast or consistent as it was then.
__________________
Team Losi Racing 22 3.0, 22.4, 22T 2.0, w/ Spektrum DX4R Radio & Servos, HobbyWing ESC & Motors, Team Orion Batteries & Chargers, LRP power supply. (Mod Off-Road Nationals Finalist)
4wd Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #2013
Tech Elite
 
JEFFs SC10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlandooooo, Fl
Posts: 3,783
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

nice twist on my words. smdh.


Kyosho didn't have a 3 gear at that time, that's why Tebo ran 4 gear.



JR Mitch is a local and runs at my track regularly, he runs 3 gear. We have a high bite track.

Everyone has figured out the right spring/oil/piston combo to make 3 gear work just as good now.

3 gear tranny's rotate better around turns.
__________________
XRAY 2017 T4
CRC Gen X SE- 17.5 GT
Xray X12-17' GT12
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #2014
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,108
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Well what is the right spring and oil combo for 3 gear? Because my car is a little loose getting on throttle and exiting the turns
__________________
K.C. Guy. Team Xray - rc america
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #2015
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
nice twist on my words. smdh.


Kyosho didn't have a 3 gear at that time, that's why Tebo ran 4 gear.



JR Mitch is a local and runs at my track regularly, he runs 3 gear. We have a high bite track.

Everyone has figured out the right spring/oil/piston combo to make 3 gear work just as good now.

3 gear tranny's rotate better around turns.
I'm an 1/8 scale guy and can easily find the set up for Collins big cars and even his 22-4 but I am struggling to find what works best on this car. What I struggle with most on this car is the fact that the other cars have anti sway bars to control body roll. On the 22 3.0 I'm stryig to accomplish this with only shocks and springs, it seems I am only able to get the desired effect of properly dampend suspension or controlled body roll and never seem to get both at the same time. He is being held back by the car or in reality the tune on the car. The tracks we run on are almost always choppy or rough indoor tracks ranging from really tacky high bite to medium bite tracks. When the car is good and not rolling around a bunch, and has good corner speed we lose the damping desired and forward bite. I'm at a loss I read about tuning with camber links and it seems everyone has a different idea about the direction to get the desired effect we want. Honestly I'm at a loss in regard to what to change to make the car do what I am looking for.
dynamiteracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #2016
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Racer View Post
It's worth trying the option to try for yourself. I have it on the 22 3.0 as well. More forward bite.



Not necessarily. Tebo ran 4 gear style in Dec 2015 at JC Nats at Hobby Plex, and also at the Jan 2016 CRCRC Midwest champs in his RB6. Both tracks had plenty of high bite using clay based compound tires, Chainlinks and Electrons respectively.



JR Mitch of TLR also runs 4 gear on his 22 3.0. Tebo runs it in his RB6 as mentioned above.

While we are on the 4 gear topic, of interest is the Cactus Classis 2wd Mod A-2 race last year. Ty Tessman ran 4-gear in his 2wd, while rest of the field seemed to have 3-gear in their 2wd. Ty had full command of the race the entire time, and control.

Ty was simply untouchable with his 4-gear HB 2wd buggy winning the overall 2wd mod event. The 2015 Cactus Classis was a super high bite sugared track!

I found a video link of the event. It seemed like the 3-gear box cars (including Cavalieri's) had trouble clearing or timing the middle long triple section in the middle of the track with the 3-gear, but Ty's 4-gearbox 2wd cleared it every time with ease and plenty of forward traction no problem, and handled rest of track sections very well. He was way out front with his 4-gear 2wd then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvEcVHEbFw
You lost all credibility when you added the xfactory video.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #2017
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 288
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 4wd Racer
Default

Hi Socket,

To be completely honest, I am completely deaf in both ears since birth. I can only watch the cars live as is, with no sound or voice over since I can't hear anything being said at all on the video. I can only watch it in silence. Just the cars being run only.

I did notice the video said x-factory at start-up, but it was the only video I could find of the 2015 Cactus Classic 2wd Mod A. I tried looking for other videos on Youtube of that event to no avail.

I searched for the video of the 2015 Cactus 2wd A event after reviewing RCCA's article and write up on Ty's winning car after I noticed the pic's at the time showed that Tessman had 4-gear 2wd at the high bite sugared event, and I knew the rest like Cavalieri was running mostly 3-gear at the time. Just to see the distance Ty put on them was pretty impressive.
__________________
Team Losi Racing 22 3.0, 22.4, 22T 2.0, w/ Spektrum DX4R Radio & Servos, HobbyWing ESC & Motors, Team Orion Batteries & Chargers, LRP power supply. (Mod Off-Road Nationals Finalist)
4wd Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #2018
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Racer View Post
Hi Socket,

To be completely honest, I am completely deaf in both ears since birth. I can only watch the cars live as is, with no sound or voice over since I can't hear anything being said at all on the video. I can only watch it in silence. Just the cars being run only.

I did notice the video said x-factory at start-up, but it was the only video I could find of the 2015 Cactus Classic 2wd Mod A. I tried looking for other videos on Youtube of that event to no avail.

I searched for the video of the 2015 Cactus 2wd A event after reviewing RCCA's article and write up on Ty's winning car after I noticed the pic's at the time showed that Tessman had 4-gear 2wd at the high bite sugared event, and I knew the rest like Cavalieri was running mostly 3-gear at the time. Just to see the distance Ty put on them was pretty impressive.
2015 cactus was not a sugar track. It's a moist pond clay. It also wasn't as high bite as you'd think; doors were left open and the AC was running, which made it horrible to keep moist. If that surface isn't moist, the bite goes away.

Ty did very well - he's amazing. However, word was that he was also saucing, when there was a "strict" rule of no saucing. This is a much more complex conversation than just transmissions unfortunately.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #2019
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 288
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 4wd Racer
Default

My mistake on the sugared part. Sorry.

Tebo did decribe the 2015 Catcus Classic event as crazy grippy and crazy traction in his write up on his JTB blog, his words, and I probably should have said high grip instead.
__________________
Team Losi Racing 22 3.0, 22.4, 22T 2.0, w/ Spektrum DX4R Radio & Servos, HobbyWing ESC & Motors, Team Orion Batteries & Chargers, LRP power supply. (Mod Off-Road Nationals Finalist)
4wd Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #2020
Tech Master
 
BRSracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Blue Springs MO
Posts: 1,506
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

the manual says to run a 70 gear spur for 17.5 motor, however the smallest spur i see for the 3.0 is a 76????
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #2021
Tech Adept
 
klowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Milford, IL
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Showing off my new whip.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
klowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #2022
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 402
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
the manual says to run a 70 gear spur for 17.5 motor, however the smallest spur i see for the 3.0 is a 76????
you can use the 2.0 version, but you need to get the 2.0 slipper as well
rekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #2023
Tech Regular
 
Jpdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: TRCR
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
the manual says to run a 70 gear spur for 17.5 motor, however the smallest spur i see for the 3.0 is a 76????
You'll need the old style Losi spurs and pads. I use AE spurs and spurs. I have several of them around from previous AE cars.
__________________
I buy RC cars for my kids like a man buys a bowling ball with his name on it for his wife.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #2024
Tech Master
 
BRSracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Blue Springs MO
Posts: 1,506
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Frank,
Does TLR have any plans to make smaller spur gears for the stock racers?
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #2025
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 185
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
the manual says to run a 70 gear spur for 17.5 motor, however the smallest spur i see for the 3.0 is a 76????
You can buy a slipper eliminator, which also reduces rotating mass, and fit anything from a 66 tooth spur upwards. I run 17.5 Blinky with 66/30 and 32 which also puts the motor right up against the gearbox housing.
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:45 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net