R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 02-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #1936
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
Share the info
Frank drove my car, he said I didn't have enough motor for the layout, I was running an 8.5. I switched to a 6.5, turned the timing down a bit and I was able to clear the two different sets of triples in the layout. Next he adjusted some settings on my speed control and the car started to get better. Nick told me to move my battery forward more, that settled the car down quite a bit. I'm going to rewire my speedo again with 13 gauge wire instead of 14 gauge, move the battery to the kit setup, run AE white front springs with 32.5wt oil and 2x1.6 pistons, green AE rear springs with 35wt oil and 2x1.7.
cracky1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #1937
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So I get mt kit tomorrow and I'm curious what pinion I may need as this is my first 2wd. I'll be running a 8.5 on a smaller carpet track. Suggestions?
bigbenmbx7t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #1938
Tech Adept

more low profile trans progress...

oddly enough the hardest part of this whole thing has so far been getting the spacing for the motor plate right so that i can fit different gear meshes. correctly... im thinking of just extending the slots and calling it done. once i do a little cleanup its off to shapeways for the first prototype.

also thinking about making a custom shocktower set as well. i like what redworkshop has done on their v2 b5m cases

so far the trans case will be sls printed plastic and the motor plate will be carbon fiber. later on i want to give an aluminum one a try for better heat dissapation (3d printed parts tend to lose their form in high heat situations).
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #1939
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracky1970 View Post
Frank drove my car, he said I didn't have enough motor for the layout, I was running an 8.5. I switched to a 6.5, turned the timing down a bit and I was able to clear the two different sets of triples in the layout. Next he adjusted some settings on my speed control and the car started to get better. Nick told me to move my battery forward more, that settled the car down quite a bit. I'm going to rewire my speedo again with 13 gauge wire instead of 14 gauge, move the battery to the kit setup, run AE white front springs with 32.5wt oil and 2x1.6 pistons, green AE rear springs with 35wt oil and 2x1.7.
I think your oils may be reversed as many of us are running 35 in front and 32 in rear at ocrc so if it doesnt work the way you have it, you may try going the other way...just a thought.
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #1940
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
Update to titanium Lunsford the ballcups come with holes.
Or just buy lunsford ball cups, they fit the TLR HD tierods perfectly for me.
MrLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #1941
Tech Adept

the turnbuckles are a good upgrade though.

anyone know what spec the screws for the 1/10 losi cars are?

ex: m2,m3 etc
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #1942
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Those of you running the serpent gear diff , what fluids have felt the best?
I've been running the two gear setup with 15k for over a month now and its perfect. I've got another guy that started using the same setup this last weekend and loved it.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #1943
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone have the part number handy for the serpent diff ?
Thanks
TLR 22-4 TLR 22t 2.0
B44.1 B44.2
Lenman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #1944
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Ok so if I want to run 2.4 tires, I want the losi 61mm rim correct? All these tire and wheel sizes get confusing.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #1945
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Ok so if I want to run 2.4 tires, I want the losi 61mm rim correct? All these tire and wheel sizes get confusing.
yes
Old 02-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #1946
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
How does the new 3.0 compare to the B5m for those that have driven both.
I currently have them both and simply find they are just have a different feel to them. You have to prefer one over the other. It is mainly preference on how the cars feel but as far as lap time go, I am three weeks on the Losi and trying to get as fast as I was with my B5M. It is all and set up to your own driving style. No one car will make you better than the other.
CNEPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #1947
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the exotec aluminum steering arms yet? If so I was wondering if it eliminated the slop that comes with the stock plastic steering parts. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #1948
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok 17.5 guys my buddy who runs for TLR has a waterfall fan mount that's pretty cool!http://www.shapeways.com/product/LDN...ionId=58594289
MIP Racing
BN Racing
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #1949
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
I think your oils may be reversed as many of us are running 35 in front and 32 in rear at ocrc so if it doesnt work the way you have it, you may try going the other way...just a thought.
That's what Nick told me but sometimes my hearing isn't so good I will double check this weekend with Nick. Thanks for the heads up.
cracky1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #1950
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracky1970 View Post
Big shout out to Frank Root and Nick Miller for the help yesterday helping me with my 22 3.0. I was getting frustrated thinking I no rear grip in the car. They gave me some suggestions, after each change the car got better. I have a few more changes to make to the car they suggested and I feel I will be where I need to be.
I'm noticing the same thing lately. I tried the Mayfield setup last weekend and i dont think it likes my local track. Car seemed more stable in kit form. Ass end now steps out on entry, and cant seem to get the forward drive off the corner. I am running 32.5 oil up front and 30 in the rear. Kit pistons. kit springs. car jumps and lands great, just low rear grip, is how I would explain it.

Maybe a newb question, but as a rule of thumb, what effect does moving the shock mounts in/out have? Also what effect does moving ball stud location have?? I want to experiment with that kind of thing, just don't want to waste time going the wrong direction.

OH....I'm running 17.5 blinky btw

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Nick
Gromy82 is offline   Reply With Quote