R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #1801
Tech Adept

So I was messing around with the VLA adjustment on my home track, Coyote Hobbies which is indoor high bite clay. Seems like the short VLA makes the car very aggressive and the harder you drive the car the better it is. To me, the long VLA makes the car less aggressive and easier to drive is you back off a bit. It seemed as tho the long VLA was consistent from entry to exit and the short VLA was very aggressive on entry and held a tighter line than the long VLA. Anyone else think this as well?
Old 01-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #1802
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Got bored, made a chassis for my car. What do you guys think?

It's not 100% finished yet. I need to tweak the 3d model a bit. Some of the dimensions were off by a millimeter or two. I didn't countersink any of the holes. Also, this is just a cheap sheet of 2mm CF I got from China off of ebay. I plan on buying a good USA made sheet of 2.5mm CF with a 0-45-90 layup. Weights about 65g less than stock.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #1803
Tech Regular

I wish I could get bored and make a freakin CF chassis. Nice work! You could make a few bucks on the side making CF chassis for all the weight conscious racers out there.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #1804
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPMX772 View Post
So I was messing around with the VLA adjustment on my home track, Coyote Hobbies which is indoor high bite clay. Seems like the short VLA makes the car very aggressive and the harder you drive the car the better it is. To me, the long VLA makes the car less aggressive and easier to drive is you back off a bit. It seemed as tho the long VLA was consistent from entry to exit and the short VLA was very aggressive on entry and held a tighter line than the long VLA. Anyone else think this as well?
How where your lap times?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:01 AM   #1805
Tech Adept

Frank, Ryan or Casper are there any tuning tips for medium low grip, I have been trying to get more forward bite with minimal results any input would be good.
Sc Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:26 AM   #1806
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc Sandman View Post
Frank, Ryan or Casper are there any tuning tips for medium low grip, I have been trying to get more forward bite with minimal results any input would be good.
Couple of things, try softer rear spring( Kyosho white) move hubs forward, lower rear roll center by flipping the insert, I went to reg ball stud with no shims for the Ackerman
Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #1807
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10Nick View Post

It's not 100% finished yet. I need to tweak the 3d model a bit. Some of the dimensions were off by a millimeter or two. I didn't countersink any of the holes. Also, this is just a cheap sheet of 2mm CF I got from China off of ebay. I plan on buying a good USA made sheet of 2.5mm CF with a 0-45-90 layup. Weights about 65g less than stock.
Convert the bottom screws to button head and run in! It looks awesome!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #1808
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Can anyone confirm if the yz-2 body is a direct fit (or close to it) for the 3.0? Any pics? I saw it was discussed previously in the thread, but not sure it was confirmed. Thanks
BK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #1809
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
How where your lap times?
.1-.2/sec faster with the short VLA for me. I wouldn't make this change based on lap times, for me its more of a different driving feel. If you like a smoother front end while turning then go long VLA, but if you like a really aggressive front end while turning then go short VLA.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #1810
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPMX772 View Post
I found the opposite to be true. The stock short VLA position felt lazy to me on corner entry and exit. Felt ok mid corner. When I switched to the long VLA position the car steered more aggressively into and out of turns. Guess this perception varies by driver and track conditions.
Jack Bonhomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #1811
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bonhomme View Post
I found the opposite to be true. The stock short VLA position felt lazy to me on corner entry and exit. Felt ok mid corner. When I switched to the long VLA position the car steered more aggressively into and out of turns. Guess this perception varies by driver and track conditions.
It probably has more to do with the proper changes being made from short arm to long arm. I am not sure everyone is adjusting the geometry correctly.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #1812
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bonhomme View Post
Interesting. I going to play around with it again tonight when I hit the track.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #1813
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc Sandman View Post
First thing I would do is move the rear hubs forward.

Then more camber gain in the rear. (shorter link or raise the outside)

Have you tried the 4 gear tranny?

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #1814
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10Nick View Post

Very nice man!!! That would have made my tranny mod easier

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
J@UNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #1815
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
Couple of things, try softer rear spring( Kyosho white) move hubs forward, lower rear roll center by flipping the insert, I went to reg ball stud with no shims for the Ackerman
I would start with moving your hubs forward, a softer rear spring, or lowering your rear roll center as all previously mentioned. Last step would be going to a 4 gear transmission. Remember to only make on change at a time, and go from there depending on feel.