R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 01-26-2016, 12:13 AM   #1756
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracky1970 View Post
Those are chassis braces to stiffen the chassis up a bit.
Frank, what length Turnbuckle is used for the chassis brace?
Mudcat981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:22 AM   #1757
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I've set back and read comments comparing the 3.0 to the B5 and my take is that the Losi in kit form will push and isn't a fair comparison the the B5 thatO ONE who answered can honestly say they are running the kit setup on the B5. We are all running a dialed setup that we were comfortable running and probably have been for quite some time.

After running the kit 3.0 setup I then put my B5 setup on the car and it came alive. The Losi was much easier to drive hard or laid back. It didn't become unsettled....very predictable buggy. IMO the 3.0 has more steering than the B5 (possible due to the gullwing front arms) Even with the steering the rear end was planted. Anyone that has changed rear anti squat or toe on the B5 knows it can be a P.I.T.A. without the Schelle accessories. 3.0 has pills in the rear just like the B5 but 2 screws gives total access to these changes while the B5 is a little more time consuming in kit form.

The good thing about the B5 is that most basic setups we ran worked at 95% of the tracks we ran at from low to highbite clay. Again....these setups took time to develop. So far Iv'e run the Losi at 3 different tracks at a different setup at all three as I'm seeing what makes this car tick. I figure that Losi must be doing something right as one of the local AE fast guys that has driven my car and watched the mod guys drive is selling his B5 and will be running a 3.0 this Friday.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't hold punches and will speak my mind. The biggest class in Northern Cali has always been 17.5 buggy and since the release of the B5 no one other than the occasional factory mod driver could get the 2.0 in the A-main at a club race. Yesterday had two 3.0's in the 17.5 A-main in the hands of regular racers. The car drives itself. Don't be afraid to try a few things not listed by a team driver. This car responds well to changes and if you're headed in the wrong direction you'll feel it.

With that being said......Go out and enjoy a great buggy and have fun at the track.
Excellent write up, u mind sharing ur 17.5 setup
Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #1758
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
Excellent write up, u mind sharing ur 17.5 setup
Official TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 AM   #1759
Tech Initiate

Any idea when reedy race setups will be posted?
killshot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #1760
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

frank said the setups should be up the end of this week, early next...

i used a 2 inch turnbuckle for my braces...i think 2 1/8 will work also

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #1761
Tech Adept

I did see that a couple people touched on the fact that when you make a change to this car that it responds, and that it does, and that is something that I think is huge. Me and my son were discussing this on the way home from the track the other night. Can not give enough props to everyone at TLR for a stellar machine!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #1762
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat981 View Post
Frank, what length Turnbuckle is used for the chassis brace?
I used 55mm turnbuckles, with shock ends. I drilled the shock ends out to 3mm (from 2.45) for the M3.5 HD turnbuckles.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #1763
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
I used 55mm turnbuckles, with shock ends. I drilled the shock ends out to 3mm (from 2.45) for the M3.5 HD turnbuckles.
I didn't think the car flexed enough to need braces but if you guys ran them at OCRC then they can't hurt on the highbite tracks we run slicks on. Could you feel the difference?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #1764
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Dakota did not use the turnbuckles so obviously the car can't have that much chassis flex.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #1765
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I didn't think the car flexed enough to need braces but if you guys ran them at OCRC then they can't hurt on the highbite tracks we run slicks on. Could you feel the difference?
I never went back to back. I didn't get to the track much this month, so I just started with Dustin's setup and went from there.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #1766
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
Dakota did not use the turnbuckles so obviously the car can't have that much chassis flex.
I believe Dakotah was running yet to be released TLR aluminum servo mounts, which accomplished the same thing as the turnbuckles.
MrLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #1767
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Any owners of the EXO22 try any 22 3.0 upgrades, such as the arms or anything else?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #1768
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyMan View Post
Any owners of the EXO22 try any 22 3.0 upgrades, such as the arms or anything else?
I havent yet but i can do it as i own a 3.0, not much else can be swapped, i was working on re aligning the holes in autocad so that it could accept a 3.0 rear end, im thinking that will be the ticket, if i had the 3 gear and pill system on that car id be set
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #1769
LKF
Tech Apprentice

Default nice german review with videos

Introduction and composition:
http://mikanews.de/2016/01/25/losi-2...on-tlr-aufbau/

and here is the first part from assembling:
http://mikanews.de/2016/01/26/losi-22-3-0-buggy-race-kit-von-tlr-zusammenbau-teil-1/']
http://mikanews.de/2016/01/26/losi-22-3-…mmenbau-teil-1/[/url]

LKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #1770
Tech Initiate

Frank, will this: TLR234036 work with the 22 3.0? I hate those stupid set screws..