Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread! >

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Old 01-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbenmbx7t
Anyone run the 3.0 on carpet? Thoughts?
Yes, last weekend. Kit setup, except lowered. I forget how low, but I slammed the rear as low as it could go and then brought the front down to level. Didn't touch a thing all day. Mini pins (blue) in the rear with Schumacher hard foams, cut stagger low profile (yellow) in front. Oh, my diff was the gear diff with one set of bevel gears removed, 5k AE diff fluid.

I did buy the HRC kit for the rear as well as the 2 degree toe plate, but I haven't messed with them yet. As is, I will be running it for a while until I can learn to push the car hard enough to need to experiment. I'm currently the limiting factor!

Starting in 4 out of 7 in the A main, I slipped through a pile-up on the first lap to take 1st. The more experienced drivers ended up beating me out as a couple mistakes in the middle of the heat required me to be marshaled a few laps in a row, dropping from 2nd or 3rd at the time to finish 6th. But I did turn in the second-fastest lap of the race.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TLR 22 3.0 or AE B5M Champion Ship Edition?

Ok simple question why would I buy a 22 3.0 over a B5M CE?

There seems to be a lot more AE on the track these days than TLR, I've been away from racing for a while and want to get a new car, but I hate being a sheep and just following everyone's leed. Upon saying that I don't want to be behind the eight ball before I start either!
Cheers
Foggy
Old 01-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foggy
Cheers
Foggy
why would you buy the b5m over the 22, or the xb2 or yz2?
Old 01-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There seems to be a lot more AE on the track these days than TLR, I've been away from racing for a while and want to get a new car, but I hate being a sheep and just following everyone's leed. Upon saying that I don't want to be behind the eight ball before I start either!
Cheers
Foggy
Both cars are capable of being a winner in the right hands, for me the TLR was not the car to help me win. Currently I run a yokomo b-max2 v3 but will be trying the b5m ce soon to see if maybe that will be the car to replace my current car. All I can say is see if someone who has one of the cars will let you try it and go from there. Good luck with whatever car you end up getting.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Both cars are capable of being a winner in the right hands, for me the TLR was not the car to help me win. Currently I run a yokomo b-max2 v3 but will be trying the b5m ce soon to see if maybe that will be the car to replace my current car. All I can say is see if someone who has one of the cars will let you try it and go from there. Good luck with whatever car you end up getting.
Yes I agree it is very much the driver behind the wheel and not always the buggy! Did you have the 2.0 or the 3.0 TLR?
Old 01-24-2016, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Cheers
Foggy
Having both cars I can tell you that right now I enjoy driving the 3.0. I will say the b5m has more rear traction but the front end is very lazy, the 3.0 out of the box has more steering and similar traction. The 3.0 jumps and lands better, shocks are nicer, kashimas are nice but the bushings suck. With the 3.0 the only upgrade that is needed is the rear hexes, the b5m u need the rear suspension holders. Overall both are great cars and comparing my lap times the 3.0 is slightly faster. You can't go wrong with either car.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
. I will say the b5m has more rear traction
3 gear or 4 gear?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
3 gear or 4 gear?
3 gear
Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
You're getting worked up over nothing. The plastic hexes work perfectly and don't need to be changed. This is why it was barely discussed at all...
I loved the outrage over the plastic hexes. Only in the RC world do people actively freak out over making the car light, then turn around and weight down the drivetrain with alloy pieces when the plastic are much lighter.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

More unsprung weight/mass too if they are heavier. Not good for the suspension, maintaining tire contact.

Last edited by Dave H; 01-24-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
Having both cars I can tell you that right now I enjoy driving the 3.0. I will say the b5m has more rear traction but the front end is very lazy, the 3.0 out of the box has more steering and similar traction. The 3.0 jumps and lands better, shocks are nicer, kashimas are nice but the bushings suck. With the 3.0 the only upgrade that is needed is the rear hexes, the b5m u need the rear suspension holders. Overall both are great cars and comparing my lap times the 3.0 is slightly faster. You can't go wrong with either car.
Thanks for that, you have answered all my questions! 😃
Old 01-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Serious racers, especially in a stock class, will benefit from the plastic hex. For most others, the aluminum ones are just a convenience factor. Increased durability and eliminating the possibility of losing a hex with a wheel change are big benefits for us club racers and bashers. Did it bother me? No, I just ordered the aluminum. If you're upset about it, just try the plastic and see. When you need to replace, then pick up the aluminum bits.

The bottom line is the kit is sold as-advertised. You know what it does and doesn't include before buying it, so just drop it. It would be a different story if it listed aluminum or showed it in pictures and then came with plastic. Is this seriously going to come up every couple of pages for the next 3 years?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes I agree it is very much the driver behind the wheel and not always the buggy! Did you have the 2.0 or the 3.0 TLR?
I had the 3.0
Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For me it was an easy choice, precision machined parts exactly where they're needed (ie Diff and Shocks). The 3.0 is a dialed ride. In my opinion, it's already the fastest car out there, and we're still working on unlocking it's full potential!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Laydown high grip gearbox

Hoping frank root will answer.
I race in the UK on high grip Astro and have heard a laydown high grip gearbox is in the pipeline. Do you have any details on this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.