R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
That's exactly how I feel. I bought the V3 as it was designed as an astro / turf buggy and I expected the gear diff. Very disappointed it has a ball diff.

I've since heard from Andrew, but I no longer have the shipping box or any kind of receipt. He advised that all V3 kits sold in the US came with a ball diff, so I guess my kit is in fact complete and correct. The missing shock collar O-rings and bad slipper pad are another issue though. Fixed the slipper issue with Associated parts and ordered O-rings from A-Main.
That sucks, should have spent the extra and bought it here in the UK (mine is due to get delivered tomorrow) now I have to spend an additional 30 for a gear diff I guess until then I will just crank down the ball diff as tight as I can get it.
PR Racing UK
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #77
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
That sucks, should have spent the extra and bought it here in the UK (mine is due to get delivered tomorrow) now I have to spend an additional 30 for a gear diff I guess until then I will just crank down the ball diff as tight as I can get it.
I have no distributors in Canada and buying out of the USA is the only option. A-Main has a new gear diff, but it lists for $55 which converts to $74 CAN.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Cranking down a ball diff is never a good idea. You'd be better served to adjust it as you normally would for outdoor and use the slipper to adjust as best as possible.

Personally I've run the ball and gear diff option on 3 different cars and I have never liked a single gear diff on a 2WD Buggy. On wheelers I prefer gear diffs front and rear BUT a center slipper is the superior option over a center gear diff in ANY scenario. They're easy to adjust and do everything a center gear diff simply can't.

I will say it was ok for Andrew to send the gear diff but they should allow you to keep the ball diff. I'm still waiting to hear back on the center slipper for my SB401 for over 4 months now. Go figure why I'm contemplating selling it. A car with no support is t a good investment for serious racers.
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Just to clarify, nobody is sending me anything. Nada, zip, nothing.

Hobby Pro was willing to send me the shock collar O-rings and slipper pad, but only if I had the original receipt to use for a warranty claim. I don't have that, so no parts.

I have to buy a gear diff if I want one.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #80
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's crappy service considering the car was released just a month ago.

As for not having a receipt, how is that possible and did u pay cash, and if not whatever shop you bought it from should be able to furnish a duplicate receipt and if you paid w CC your statement will show where you purchased it from as well as the total and date you bought it.

I don't see how Andrew wouldn't honor that.
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Just to clarify, nobody is sending me anything. Nada, zip, nothing.

Hobby Pro was willing to send me the shock collar O-rings and slipper pad, but only if I had the original receipt to use for a warranty claim. I don't have that, so no parts.

I have to buy a gear diff if I want one.
I have a gear diff with maybe 3 or 4 runs on it you can have. I'll probably never use it since I run on dirt. If you want it, it's yours just PM me your address.
Ps, I think you sold me a sweet XXX CR a few years ago.

Let me know, I'm happy to help.
markt311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:01 AM   #82
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Cranking down a ball diff is never a good idea. You'd be better served to adjust it as you normally would for outdoor and use the slipper to adjust as best as possible.

Personally I've run the ball and gear diff option on 3 different cars and I have never liked a single gear diff on a 2WD Buggy. On wheelers I prefer gear diffs front and rear BUT a center slipper is the superior option over a center gear diff in ANY scenario. They're easy to adjust and do everything a center gear diff simply can't.

I will say it was ok for Andrew to send the gear diff but they should allow you to keep the ball diff. I'm still waiting to hear back on the center slipper for my SB401 for over 4 months now. Go figure why I'm contemplating selling it. A car with no support is t a good investment for serious racers.
With the ball diff, we race on such high grip that it eats the things up. we normally run 5k-7k fluid in the gear diffs on our 2wd buggies. Not the end of the world though, as outdoor astro in the winter here is a slippery affair anyway. For indoor carpet I guess I will just swap my electronics over to my old Xray XB4/2.
I have a bit of trouble understanding why a buggy with a laydown, forwardish motor would only come with a ball diff in the US, but gear everywhere else (From the sounds of it) The buggy seems like a direct competitor to the XB2 and the YZ2, which both only have a gear diff as standard.
Especially more confusing as I thought they were coming out with a V3 dirt spec in the near future also.

My buggy just showed up in the mail. It is the ball diff version, but overall the kit looks nice. Maybe the ball diff will give me an advantage during the lower grip winter season.
PR Racing UK

Last edited by fivepointnine; 12-03-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #83
Tech Master

Quote:
With the ball diff, we race on such high grip that it eats the things up. we normally run 5k-7k fluid in the gear diffs on our 2wd buggies. Not the end of the world though, as outdoor astro in the winter here is a slippery affair anyway. For indoor carpet I guess I will just swap my electronics over to my old Xray XB4/2.
I have a bit of trouble understanding why a buggy with a laydown, forwardish motor would only come with a ball diff in the US, but gear everywhere else (From the sounds of it) The buggy seems like a direct competitor to the XB2 and the YZ2, which both only have a gear diff as standard.
Especially more confusing as I thought they were coming out with a V3 dirt spec in the near future also.

My buggy just showed up in the mail. It is the ball diff version, but overall the kit looks nice. Maybe the ball diff will give me an advantage during the lower grip winter season.
my car is amazing on dirt, with the stock setup you should be good on astro and high grip. it has a ton of steering and stability out of the box
Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #84
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt311 View Post
my car is amazing on dirt, with the stock setup you should be good on astro and high grip. it has a ton of steering and stability out of the box
so start with the box setup you recommend?
PR Racing UK
Old 12-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #85
Tech Champion

I was advised to use Andrew Smolnik's world's setup from the Yatabe Arena.

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/prraci...ena2015100310/
Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #86
Tech Master

are they supposed to include the metal rear hubs? Mine seem to be missing, just standard plastic ones. EDIT- I seem to be missing a bag of parts including rear turnbuckles, what is the best to contact for the issues?
PR Racing UK

Last edited by fivepointnine; 12-03-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #87
Tech Champion

Quote:
are they supposed to include the metal rear hubs? Mine seem to be missing, just standard plastic ones. EDIT- I seem to be missing a bag of parts including rear turnbuckles, what is the best to contact for the issues?
Sorry to hear that you too have kit issues. Welcome to the V3 club.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-03-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #88
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I believe the alloy hubs were included in just the pre order kits, but im not positive. I am running the ball diff on carpet, i also have the gear diff in my st1. Cant tell any difference, also all my PR kits show a gear diff and ball diff in the manual.

Last edited by raceyz; 12-03-2015 at 02:49 PM.
raceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
The V3 kits doesn't come with Alum. rear hubs. That was something Andrew was doing for pre-order USA customers only. They are not needed anyways IMO
Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #90
Tech Master

Quote:
Contact the distributor you purchased your kit from.