R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-26-2016, 07:51 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Xray XB2 2WD Buggy Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dgrobe2112
Instruction manuals: (C/O BentKa)

Xray XB2 Carpet Edition Instruction Manual
http://www.teamxray.com/xb2/2016/dow...ual_v2_low.pdf

Xray XB2 Dirt Edition Instruction Manual
http://www.teamxray.com/xb2/2016/dow...w.pdf?update=2

BentKa: Carpet Edition 4 gear to 3 gear laydown conversion parts:
  • Gearbox #323014
  • Motorplate #324012
  • 36T idler gear #324236
  • Brace for waterfall #324031

Socket: Bodies Available:

Xray has two OEM bodies, the .75mm and the .50mm light weight:
light weight: https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-xb...329701/p492942

OEM .75mm: https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-0....329700/p477762

Also, I've fitted the yz2 body, both the light and regular fit fine, just make your own cut lines:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...z2-101/p417674

[i] J Concepts S2 Body [i]

Penguin Racing makes a high grip body that fits the DE and CE:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Ray-Xb2-Hi...oAAOSw1S9WewHV

Socket: Wheel fitment:

According to some, you'll require different offset rear hexes to use B5M wheels. According to my Hudy setup board, B5M wheels are the same offset. I measured the overall width of the car with XB2 wheels, and then again with B5M wheels, same measurement.

On the front, B5M wheels were 1.5mm wider. Xray offers hexes to reduce width -.75 on each side, or you could spend 3-5 minutes and sand your OEM hexes down .75mm.

edit by dgrobe2112
here are the hubs for losi and AE

for AE Front 365354 -0.75
for Losi rear 365358 +3.00 (4 stripe)
for AE rear 365359 +3.75 (5 stripe)

Socket: Flex and the XB2:

Flex screws are as follows:

Plastic bulkhead between motor and waterfall. Can remove screw in chassis, or remove bulkhead altogether.

Waterfall has 4 screws, can remove the inner two or outer two. IIRC, removing the inner two provides more flex, and thus more bite.

Removing the battery brace. This gives a tremendous amount of flex on the middle of the car, and can sometimes be inconsistent. I do this for outdoor racing on low bite. I like the feel over the 4 gear in 17.5 racing, since the 4 gear will take some snap away off the corner.

Rear C block - has inner and outer screws. I haven't played with this, as it's a crucial pivot point of the car.

Medium arms and towers -> I don't believe the carpet car has the rear medium tower available, however the DE DOES have an optional hard part. I think the hard parts are more consistent, especially when it gets hot (90+ degrees F). However, the medium parts do NOT break unless you're severely talented. They also don't wear out.

Socket: Avid/Schelle Slipper mod:

Credit to WillS, Matt Trimmings, and myself for figuring this out months ago.

Parts you'll need:

B5M V2 3gear compatible top shaft.
TKO Special 5x13x5 bear OR 5x13x6 bearing Either can work. This replaces the spur side bearing on the top shaft.
5mm shims, same shims used in 1/8th scale clutch bells. Look for protek .1mm and .2mm kit.
Avid or Schelle b5m top shaft kit, with spur gears of your choosing. (DE can't handle a 69, the CE can)

Shimming: You'll need to install the bearing in the front portion of the removable piece for the shaft. Make sure the bearing is pushed all the way in. With the TKO bearing, you'll need to shim approximately 1.4mm on the front side of the top shaft. Roughly .3-.5mm with the other bearing. This is a "feel" and tolerance setting. I urge you to watch videos about setting clutch bell play in 1/8th scale to get an idea of what yield you want for end play. Too tight, it'll eat bearings.

Outside of trans case: Use Avid/Schelle top shaft spacer plus .2mm shim to offset slipper from motor plate perfectly. Install slipper as instructed, and use Avid/Schelle spring and XB2 slipper nut.

- NEW - Schelle now sells Xb2 Topshafts. They include a spacer, so no need for shims in gearbox, and comes with the smaller bearing. Both methods work.

Socket: Yokomo Differential or MIP pucks:

Credit to: WillS for figuring out pucks, and as well fitting the Losi 22 diff with the same mods.

Parts needed: Yokomo Bmax2 or YZ2 complete diff OR Mip PUCKS outdrives
Xb2 diff gear
Bmax2 V3 Worlds rear dog bones, or Bmax 2 pucks dog bones
You'll use XB2 axles, and will require no other mods for the axles or dog bones.
You'll need .2mm outdrive/diff shims. Shim approximately .5mm on each side of the diff, behind the bearings. The top portion of the transmission is what "sets" the diff in place, not the bottom half. A little play back and forth is fine, the stock diff has some play from the factory.

dgrobe2112: CE to DE conversion:
along with the parts needed.. you MUST have these following hardware, or it wont work

https://www.teamxray.com/xb2/2016/do...conversion.pdf

(3) XRAY 902340 M3x40 button head screws. these are the screws that mount the motor mount to the tranny
(4) XRAY 903322 M3x22 counter sunk screws. these are for the rear diff case, to mount to the chassis. i think i used some M3x18 and they worked ok.

Socket: Best method for setting up the XB2 ball diff:

The XB2 diff is stellar when setup correctly. The spring is too short and soft, allowing the diff to slip. You'll need to glue the rings to the outdrives with just a drop of CA, then add a 1mm shim between the spring and the outdrive. This preloads the spring and stops the diff from slipping so easily.

OR, you can run the AE diff spring, which is both slightly longer, and stiffer. The overwhelming issue is the stock spring allows the nut to bottom out on the outdrive before the diff is tight enough.

This shim:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-al...a303122/p12070

This diff spring (don't need a shim, then.)

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...thrust_spring/

Functional Aftermarket parts: (Not just bling!)

Servo Horn: (The B5M sized horns are too short to get full throw)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...800-bk/p273496

Socket: Exotek has a full suite of parts, some bling, some not. Here's a list (all fit DE and CE, unless otherwise noted):

Titanium front axles: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-titanium-front-axles-2/

Rear Hanger, HD (Adds 4 grams): http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-rear...75-heavy-duty/

Brass C block, 18 grams added: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-rear...-brass-weight/

Alloy front camber mount: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-fron...er-mount-7075/

Carbon Fiber Chassis: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-carb...m-plate-2-5mm/

Alloy rear hubs:http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-allo...ub-set-2-7075/

Alloy servo mounts, allow for use of LP servo:http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-xb4-...-alloy-1-pair/

Titanium shock mounts: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-xb4-...shock-posts-2/

Slipper Eliminator: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-direct-spur-mount/
Xray eliminator is #324100

dgrobe2112: 2016-2017 new 3 gear laydown
Gearbox #323014
Motor plate #324012
36T idler gear #324236
Brace for waterfall #324031

dgrobe2112: Xray Spring Rate Conversion:
front C WHT
368174 2 str 0.65-0.85 3.71-4.85

358184 2 dot 0.65 3.71
368185 3 dot 0.72 4.11
368186 4 dot 0.80 4.57

Rear
368273 2 str 0.35-0.45 2.00-2.57

368284 1 Dot 0.35 2.00
368285 2 Dot 0.40 2.28
368286 3 Dot 0.45 2.57
368287 4 Dot 0.50 2.86

Print Wikipost

Like Tree40Likes

Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #3856
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
@lyons238 - The Xray is a great kit as you know, the new 2017 is a shift from 2016's "all in one" offering, lets call the original XB2 a market introduction. They packed it with extras and hard/medium plastics and even a ball diff to go with a gear diff - who else has ever done that? Now they're back to a more traditional business model, like everyone else, making kits for specific surfaces. That's hardly an FU. The 2017 is probably at a price now where the 2016 should have been all along. All of the manufacturers are trying to pack value into their kits and yet they all know we want more and they have lots to offer us on top of the kit purchase. The B6D 'needs' $30 for the lay down, and another $20 or so for the brass C block, a relatively modest amount and yes a good deal, no, not as cheap as the $76 like your Xray example, but man, don't bring TLR to the argument, you need to drop $180 for their lay down and another $80 for the dirt transmission, on top of the kit price! That makes the Xray a deal all of a sudden, lol! Even Yokomo have an $80 rear off set hub and universal kit you need to tune it to high grip that's a "must have". The industry is just going this way.
they took the ball diff out. but the b6d price reflects what it comes with...thats my point.

as far as TLR goes, im not talking about converting the car to a laydown, nor am i talking about converting the xray CE to a standup. im talking about value in the box versus price tag. xray now comes with equal or less, for substantially more money. ontop of that the prices for the individual parts are substantially more money.

and what im saying is i think xray was benefiting from sending a versatile package out the door, now they dropped that distinguishing model, the price should reflect that.

you can justify it all you want, but the fact is the trends go toward more value, not less. so it's disappointing to see less value, again this is beating a dead horse.

but we can kill this convo anyway
Old 10-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #3857
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

ok.. so.. an associated B6 buggy.. costing 309, vs say.. xray and yokomo, at 349, doesnt reflect what it comes with?

im failing to see what value your expecting for a 40 dollar difference?
Proline Racing / RC America / Xray
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #3858
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Bought a 2016 DE to try and sold it after a month. It was a great car. All xray is really lacking are people pushing different setups. I may try one again when I can put together a DE with a 3 gear laydown (or maybe a carpet with a ball diff - whichever would be cheaper).

As far as cost, Xray is still one of the better deals INITIALLY. I buy and try different cars for fun and testing. As far as value, here my thoughts:

TLR is probably the best if you don't need a laydown and you're racing modified (and weight is not an issue). The car needs nothing to be very competitive and solid. If you're racing stock though you're going to end up adding titanium camber links and maybe even screws because it's a bit heavy out of the box. I spent less than $300 putting this car together (got a decent deal on the kit).

Xray is similar. You really don't need to do anything unless you're trying to get it's weight down for stock, but it's not so heavy that you really have to. It costs more upfront than TLR but you don't really need to add anything.

AE is cheapest upfront. However, I just put one together and it cost me about as much as an xray when I was done. Laydown conversion ($30), b5m rear shock bodies ($25), rear shock tower for the longer bodies ($15?), 12g brass suspension C mount ($20). There's $90 extra right there. About $400 all put together with the kit.

Then I added Schelle carbon fiber steering arms for $8, which are not needed, but xray comes with them.

Of course, arguably much of these are tuning options so maybe AE give you more options for the same price, but at the end of the day most people are using the parts I listed (except for the CF steering arms).

RB6.6 is $399 and you can build it laydown or stand up (and 3 or 4 gear in standup).

I only have a few complaints about xray and you've heard them before. Parts are comparatively expensive. Usually double of what all of these other brands charge. Also, a small gripe - I don't like the 4.9 ball studs when so many manufacturers have chosen 4.8. It means I can only buy xray ball studs. I was tuning the car at the track and wanted to buy two taller ball studs to fit washers and I was out of luck. Even on my team C cars, the fact they use 4.8, a standard, I once did the same and just bought a pair of losi titanium studs. I also think they should have gone with standard size pistons.

I don't mind having an exotic car and having to buy parts online, but having a few standard items so I can use AE's or TLR's ball studs, pistons, ball cups, etc., if I want to tune or if I break a common item makes an exotic car much more easy to maintain and enjoy.

- But as far as initial costs, most cars are pretty similar; enough so that I wouldn't choose based on price.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #3859
Tech Elite

i will just highlight a couple of the "value" things you get between the 2.. and these are just a quick run down..

you get both RF, RR aluminum hangers, full adjustablility.. in both front and rear.. i think the AE comes with a composite rear, also.. in order to change rear toe, i assume you have to pull the pills out of the front hanger to make adjustments which is a pain. no rear track width adjustment options.

a quick change diff/transmission case.. few screws and you can pull the rear diff/slipper out..

Carbon fiber steering plates

super light spring steel diff outdrives
Old 10-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #3860
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine View Post
I don't like the 4.9 ball studs when so many manufacturers have chosen 4.8. It means I can only buy xray ball studs. I was tuning the car at the track and wanted to buy two taller ball studs to fit washers and I was out of luck. Even on my team C cars, the fact they use 4.8, a standard, I once did the same and just bought a pair of losi titanium studs. I also think they should have gone with standard size pistons.
actually.. i think the B6, has gone to bigger balls now.. if im not mistaken..

one thing to note on this.. i have seen faaaar more AE/Losi Cars pop ball ends off in races.. vs.. the Xray..

but your correct.. the price of these cars is very close.. shouldnt be a reason to choose one over the other..
Old 10-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #3861
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
ok.. so.. an associated B6 buggy.. costing 309, vs say.. xray and yokomo, at 349, doesnt reflect what it comes with?

im failing to see what value your expecting for a 40 dollar difference?
first off i'd like to state im sticking with xray but i do have a few gripes.

and its not a $40 difference. it's a $60 difference. plus the difference in cost between all the parts are double the cost.

but you're missing the point. im saying it's disappointing they are providing less value now, then they did last year. the trend is to provide more value as time goes on because as a business you should be honing in your supply chain and production methods and design methods and workforce. this allows companies to produce better things for less money. while i don't doubt xray is doing this, they're value doesn't reflect that. we should be seeing some changes in value and price since they are growing and obtaining a bigger market share especially in the US. but instead we're seeing the opposite, less value.

im thinking from a business standpoint and using some arbitrary examples to compare but my main point is comparing xray to xray not any other car. xray should always strive to provide more value, not less.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #3862
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
first off i'd like to state im sticking with xray but i do have a few gripes.

and its not a $40 difference. it's a $60 difference. plus the difference in cost between all the parts are double the cost.

but you're missing the point. im saying it's disappointing they are providing less value now, then they did last year. the trend is to provide more value as time goes on because as a business you should be honing in your supply chain and production methods and design methods and workforce. this allows companies to produce better things for less money. while i don't doubt xray is doing this, they're value doesn't reflect that. we should be seeing some changes in value and price since they are growing and obtaining a bigger market share especially in the US. but instead we're seeing the opposite, less value.

im thinking from a business standpoint and using some arbitrary examples to compare but my main point is comparing xray to xray not any other car. xray should always strive to provide more value, not less.
I understand the price in parts. But. I have yet to have any major breakage. Rear hub. Only thing sofar. The xb2 is 349. The b6 is 309. At amain.. That is 40. Not 60..
Old 10-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #3863
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I understand the price in parts. But. I have yet to have any major breakage. Rear hub. Only thing sofar. The xb2 is 349. The b6 is 309. At amain.. That is 40. Not 60..
i paid 369 for mine i believe, i think they lowered the price after i got mine or something.

and yeah ive only had a few breakages.

but again im comparing xray to xray. they provided the xray xb2 with this value all last year, why are they providing less value when they're making more money than ever and they're getting better than ever at producing these things? it's a slap in the face to the customers.

i work as a manager in business and i look at things in this way when im thinking of the company i work for and our customers...
Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #3864
Tech Elite

Quote:
i paid 369 for mine i believe, i think they lowered the price after i got mine or something.

and yeah ive only had a few breakages.

but again im comparing xray to xray. they provided the xray xb2 with this value all last year, why are they providing less value when they're making more money than ever and they're getting better than ever at producing these things? it's a slap in the face to the customers.

i work as a manager in business and i look at things in this way when im thinking of the company i work for and our customers...
But ur not comparing x-ray to x-ray. Ur comparing it price wise to the other cars.. your comparing value.. I understand being upset that the first car came with double arms and all that and the new one doesnt. But.. you didn't make this statement when the DE didn't come with the extra parts.. and such..
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #3865
Tech Fanatic

dgrobe i am comparing xray to xray...xray is providing less value this year than last year. it should be the opposite. end of story. i brought up other brands to prove the point that those companies are continuously providing more for less, which is true. i wasnt comparing xray to them in a face off parts in the box value to value. you guys did that. i was just providing an example how companies should always provide more value not less. it's how business works. it's called optimization.

and i dont really care about the DE it doesn't apply to me so why bring it up? the CE is way more popular which is why i believe it was smart to be versatile.

anyways i just purchased a brand new 2016 xray xb2 CE for 300 bucks shipped on ebay, now i have all the plastics. ill just simply buy the 3 gear changes, i already have machined 1.6 and 1.7 pistons and the beefy exotek RR hanger. so now i have a 2017 xray xb2 with all the plastics, plus the 4 gear trans all for around the same price as the new 2017 kit.

not paying more for less.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #3866
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

It's always tough to raise the price of something or decrease what comes in a kit without having people get upset. It's easy to lower the price of something, but tough to raise the price just slightly. It's also good to look at what Xray does for the hobby, how many races they sponsor, the tracks they have, the support they provide, etc. I just wish they did more in the US!

The AE is the cheapest kit out, but you'll struggle to find one at the track without at least $100 worth of upgrades on it. Plus the xray parts last far longer and are much more durable.

The Xray you can build and tune for your track without buying any extra parts.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #3867
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
It's always tough to raise the price of something or decrease what comes in a kit without having people get upset. It's easy to lower the price of something, but tough to raise the price just slightly. It's also good to look at what Xray does for the hobby, how many races they sponsor, the tracks they have, the support they provide, etc. I just wish they did more in the US!

The AE is the cheapest kit out, but you'll struggle to find one at the track without at least $100 worth of upgrades on it. Plus the xray parts last far longer and are much more durable.

The Xray you can build and tune for your track without buying any extra parts.
i agree with all of this.

the only point i was trying to make was they shouldn't be providing less value as time goes on, they should provide more due to the way business works and optimizing.

i think they do a ton of great things, and the cars are amazing. i just think it was a bit of a mistake to provide clearly less value in their kit, that's all. nothing more.

but that's why i literally just purchased a brand new 2016 kit on ebay for 300 shipped. i suggest more of you do the same, i guarantee the parts for the 3 gear will cost less than buying all of the plastics (if you will use them). also the 4 gear is useful to me as well.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #3868
Tech Elite

Quote:
i agree with all of this.

the only point i was trying to make was they shouldn't be providing less value as time goes on, they should provide more due to the way business works and optimizing.

i think they do a ton of great things, and the cars are amazing. i just think it was a bit of a mistake to provide clearly less value in their kit, that's all. nothing more.

but that's why i literally just purchased a brand new 2016 kit on ebay for 300 shipped. i suggest more of you do the same, i guarantee the parts for the 3 gear will cost less than buying all of the plastics (if you will use them). also the 4 gear is useful to me as well.
i understand what your saying, and please dont think of this as attacking.. thats not what im trying to do. i understand the loss in value, when considering you got extra plastics in the kit. i get that..

But think about it.. if they kept on with that.. you would then be given all the arms, plus the 4gear laydown tranny, plus all those parts that go with it as well.. am in incorrect in that thought? then we have a car that cost over 400 bux, with a box of stuff that wont get used.. u know.. then people saying they want a kit, cheaper, without certain stuff.. am i right? i might be wrong..

who knows.. maybe, it was Xrays marketing way of getting into the market with a very good, unproven car, to intice buyers, to give it a shot.. and see what the car is about, see what you get in the car itself.. and how many people out there, including myself, bought the car, and when you were done with it.. said.. this car is worth way more than what they charged? i would buy another one even without all the extra parts that i have yet to need.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #3869
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
i understand what your saying, and please dont think of this as attacking.. thats not what im trying to do. i understand the loss in value, when considering you got extra plastics in the kit. i get that..

But think about it.. if they kept on with that.. you would then be given all the arms, plus the 4gear laydown tranny, plus all those parts that go with it as well.. am in incorrect in that thought? then we have a car that cost over 400 bux, with a box of stuff that wont get used.. u know.. then people saying they want a kit, cheaper, without certain stuff.. am i right? i might be wrong..

who knows.. maybe, it was Xrays marketing way of getting into the market with a very good, unproven car, to intice buyers, to give it a shot.. and see what the car is about, see what you get in the car itself.. and how many people out there, including myself, bought the car, and when you were done with it.. said.. this car is worth way more than what they charged? i would buy another one even without all the extra parts that i have yet to need.
yeah i dont take it like that.

and i agree i would have bought the kit still...

but i just think being that the CE is the choice for indoor clay up to carpet, it really made sense to include the plastics, not the 4 gear or ball diff, but at least the plastics. plus at that price point we all felt like it was a good value.

the 2017 kit, i don't feel is a good value, i feel it's a little on the expensive side. now do i shop purely on value? no. i still would buy it, but it is reduced value and making they're kit less accessible, that's all.

but now it doesn't apply to me at least for a year because i got the 16 lol
Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #3870
Tech Elite

i understand that.. but if i were to compare the cars.. side by side.. and choose unbiased.. and such..

i would choose them in this order.. based off performance, and adjustability..

#1, toss up between Xray17/Yok, they are very similar in almost every way..
#2, slight edge to the Xray 16 over the AE, but very slight..
#3, would be the AE
#4, would be the losi