R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 12-26-2016, 07:51 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Xray XB2 2WD Buggy Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: dgrobe2112
Instruction manuals: (C/O BentKa)

Xray XB2 Carpet Edition Instruction Manual
http://www.teamxray.com/xb2/2016/dow...ual_v2_low.pdf

Xray XB2 Dirt Edition Instruction Manual
http://www.teamxray.com/xb2/2016/dow...w.pdf?update=2

BentKa: Carpet Edition 4 gear to 3 gear laydown conversion parts:
  • Gearbox #323014
  • Motorplate #324012
  • 36T idler gear #324236
  • Brace for waterfall #324031


Socket: Bodies Available:

Xray has two OEM bodies, the .75mm and the .50mm light weight:
light weight: https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-xb...329701/p492942

OEM .75mm: https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-0....329700/p477762

Also, I've fitted the yz2 body, both the light and regular fit fine, just make your own cut lines:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...z2-101/p417674


[i] J Concepts S2 Body [i]


Penguin Racing makes a high grip body that fits the DE and CE:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Ray-Xb2-Hi...oAAOSw1S9WewHV



Socket: Wheel fitment:

According to some, you'll require different offset rear hexes to use B5M wheels. According to my Hudy setup board, B5M wheels are the same offset. I measured the overall width of the car with XB2 wheels, and then again with B5M wheels, same measurement.

On the front, B5M wheels were 1.5mm wider. Xray offers hexes to reduce width -.75 on each side, or you could spend 3-5 minutes and sand your OEM hexes down .75mm.

edit by dgrobe2112
here are the hubs for losi and AE

for AE Front 365354 -0.75
for Losi rear 365358 +3.00 (4 stripe)
for AE rear 365359 +3.75 (5 stripe)



Socket: Flex and the XB2:

Flex screws are as follows:

Plastic bulkhead between motor and waterfall. Can remove screw in chassis, or remove bulkhead altogether.

Waterfall has 4 screws, can remove the inner two or outer two. IIRC, removing the inner two provides more flex, and thus more bite.

Removing the battery brace. This gives a tremendous amount of flex on the middle of the car, and can sometimes be inconsistent. I do this for outdoor racing on low bite. I like the feel over the 4 gear in 17.5 racing, since the 4 gear will take some snap away off the corner.

Rear C block - has inner and outer screws. I haven't played with this, as it's a crucial pivot point of the car.

Medium arms and towers -> I don't believe the carpet car has the rear medium tower available, however the DE DOES have an optional hard part. I think the hard parts are more consistent, especially when it gets hot (90+ degrees F). However, the medium parts do NOT break unless you're severely talented. They also don't wear out.



Socket: Avid/Schelle Slipper mod:

Credit to WillS, Matt Trimmings, and myself for figuring this out months ago.

Parts you'll need:

B5M V2 3gear compatible top shaft.
TKO Special 5x13x5 bear OR 5x13x6 bearing Either can work. This replaces the spur side bearing on the top shaft.
5mm shims, same shims used in 1/8th scale clutch bells. Look for protek .1mm and .2mm kit.
Avid or Schelle b5m top shaft kit, with spur gears of your choosing. (DE can't handle a 69, the CE can)

Shimming: You'll need to install the bearing in the front portion of the removable piece for the shaft. Make sure the bearing is pushed all the way in. With the TKO bearing, you'll need to shim approximately 1.4mm on the front side of the top shaft. Roughly .3-.5mm with the other bearing. This is a "feel" and tolerance setting. I urge you to watch videos about setting clutch bell play in 1/8th scale to get an idea of what yield you want for end play. Too tight, it'll eat bearings.

Outside of trans case: Use Avid/Schelle top shaft spacer plus .2mm shim to offset slipper from motor plate perfectly. Install slipper as instructed, and use Avid/Schelle spring and XB2 slipper nut.

- NEW - Schelle now sells Xb2 Topshafts. They include a spacer, so no need for shims in gearbox, and comes with the smaller bearing. Both methods work.

Socket: Yokomo Differential or MIP pucks:

Credit to: WillS for figuring out pucks, and as well fitting the Losi 22 diff with the same mods.

Parts needed: Yokomo Bmax2 or YZ2 complete diff OR Mip PUCKS outdrives
Xb2 diff gear
Bmax2 V3 Worlds rear dog bones, or Bmax 2 pucks dog bones
You'll use XB2 axles, and will require no other mods for the axles or dog bones.
You'll need .2mm outdrive/diff shims. Shim approximately .5mm on each side of the diff, behind the bearings. The top portion of the transmission is what "sets" the diff in place, not the bottom half. A little play back and forth is fine, the stock diff has some play from the factory.

dgrobe2112: CE to DE conversion:
along with the parts needed.. you MUST have these following hardware, or it wont work

https://www.teamxray.com/xb2/2016/do...conversion.pdf

(3) XRAY 902340 M3x40 button head screws. these are the screws that mount the motor mount to the tranny
(4) XRAY 903322 M3x22 counter sunk screws. these are for the rear diff case, to mount to the chassis. i think i used some M3x18 and they worked ok.

Socket: Best method for setting up the XB2 ball diff:

The XB2 diff is stellar when setup correctly. The spring is too short and soft, allowing the diff to slip. You'll need to glue the rings to the outdrives with just a drop of CA, then add a 1mm shim between the spring and the outdrive. This preloads the spring and stops the diff from slipping so easily.

OR, you can run the AE diff spring, which is both slightly longer, and stiffer. The overwhelming issue is the stock spring allows the nut to bottom out on the outdrive before the diff is tight enough.

This shim:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-al...a303122/p12070

This diff spring (don't need a shim, then.)

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...thrust_spring/

Functional Aftermarket parts: (Not just bling!)

Servo Horn: (The B5M sized horns are too short to get full throw)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...800-bk/p273496


Socket: Exotek has a full suite of parts, some bling, some not. Here's a list (all fit DE and CE, unless otherwise noted):

Titanium front axles: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-titanium-front-axles-2/

Rear Hanger, HD (Adds 4 grams): http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-rear...75-heavy-duty/

Brass C block, 18 grams added: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-rear...-brass-weight/

Alloy front camber mount: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-fron...er-mount-7075/

Carbon Fiber Chassis: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-carb...m-plate-2-5mm/

Alloy rear hubs:http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-allo...ub-set-2-7075/

Alloy servo mounts, allow for use of LP servo:http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-xb4-...-alloy-1-pair/

Titanium shock mounts: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-xb4-...shock-posts-2/

Slipper Eliminator: http://www.exotekracing.com/xb2-direct-spur-mount/
Xray eliminator is #324100

dgrobe2112: 2016-2017 new 3 gear laydown
Gearbox #323014
Motor plate #324012
36T idler gear #324236
Brace for waterfall #324031

dgrobe2112: Xray Spring Rate Conversion:
front C WHT
368174 2 str 0.65-0.85 3.71-4.85

358184 2 dot 0.65 3.71
368185 3 dot 0.72 4.11
368186 4 dot 0.80 4.57


Rear
368273 2 str 0.35-0.45 2.00-2.57

368284 1 Dot 0.35 2.00
368285 2 Dot 0.40 2.28
368286 3 Dot 0.45 2.57
368287 4 Dot 0.50 2.86

Print Wikipost

Like Tree23Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #3706
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 26
Default

Hey Bent, on a higher grip carpet track what would be the difference (other than offset) in handling running: The XRAY wheels compared to Schumacher or Jconcepts with either:

Schumacher Mini Pins yellow / Cut Stagger yellow
or
New Jconcepts Pin Downs / Swaggers

Thanks.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #3707
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
Traction is great. And because you carry more speed through the corner with less weight transfer you get much better drive out of the corners

It's just so much better

Bent
so when the xb2 was in development for 3 years, was a 3 gear not tested?

especially considering 2 cars where released, a dirt and a carpet version..
i would have thought the 3 gear being "so much better" would have made its way into the carpet specific car. Planned obsolescence perhaps?
Okokobioko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #3708
Tech Master
 
suby723's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spring Hill Tennessee
Posts: 1,377
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
where are you guys seeing this new car?

EDIT: never mind I found it.

But man I'm kind of disappointing there's no update besides the 3 gear, I sold my XB2 2016 thinking there would be significant upgrade.

I'm most likely going to purchase another 2wd before the winter. While I love XRAY and will continue to run the XB4 and XB8, I may consider the B6 for 2wd.
Yeah I love my xb4 16 and will get the 17 forsure but now I have the b6 and b6d and am very happy about the switch. I just don't understand why gullwing arms aren't going to be an option with the xb2.
suby723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #3709
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby723 View Post
Yeah I love my xb4 16 and will get the 17 forsure but now I have the b6 and b6d and am very happy about the switch. I just don't understand why gullwing arms aren't going to be an option with the xb2.
As of right now gullwing arms are not an option for the XB2.

Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel | Hiro Seiko
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #3710
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okokobioko View Post
so when the xb2 was in development for 3 years, was a 3 gear not tested?

especially considering 2 cars where released, a dirt and a carpet version..
i would have thought the 3 gear being "so much better" would have made its way into the carpet specific car. Planned obsolescence perhaps?

As mentioned earlier a lot of different motor and chassis layouts were tested and the choice of a 4 gear laydown was made due to being a lot more versatile in terms of track surfaces.

At the time people were crying about 2WD cars getting too specialized and you would have to have several cars for different tracks/surfaces.

Fast forward 1 year and people are crying about the current 2WD offerings not being specialized enough.......

You also have to remember that this is Xray's first 2WD and it has been on the market for less than a year.........that's under 12 months !!!!!!!!!

So another way of viewing it would be; look at what Xray have achieved in less than a year compared to their competitors that have made 2WD buggies for how long now......?

And as already mentioned several times a 3 gear laydown will now be avaliable on the new updated XB2 and for all of those already owning an XB2 it will be an easy upgrade

The Dirt edition that will be out later this year will also have several updates and we are constantly working on new parts and options to further better the platform.

As of just in a matter of days you will have the option to run your XB2 with either 3 or 4 gear laydown or 3 or 4 gear standup gearboxes.

You have the choice of medium, hard, graphite and aluminum parts.

Ball diff or gear diff.

Standard or lightweight bodies.

Bulkheads, hinge pin holders and camber link holders in different composites, aluminum and brass.

You also have the option of a slipper eliminator with 69 and 72 spur gear for stock classes.

I would say we have gotten a lot of stuff done in under 12 months on the market

And more is coming. Xray won't rest until the XB2 and XT2 are the best options in their respective classes just like the Xray XB4

Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel | Hiro Seiko
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #3711
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Hey Bent, on a higher grip carpet track what would be the difference (other than offset) in handling running: The XRAY wheels compared to Schumacher or Jconcepts with either:

Schumacher Mini Pins yellow / Cut Stagger yellow
or
New Jconcepts Pin Downs / Swaggers

Thanks.
The JConcept tires are a bit less aggressive and wear a lot better.

Especially the new Schumacher MiniPin 1 has horrible wear characteristics.

The Swaggers also have reinforcement ribs to make the more predictable and smoother instead of being a bit edgy like the Cut Stagger LP.

It also makes the Swaggers a lot easier to glue.

For the rims we prefer the Xray versions as they have a better hex mounting (better fit and more material) and they are a bit softer so they provide more traction and absorbs flat landings better.

Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel | Hiro Seiko
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #3712
Tech Master
 
Phillip F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,178
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
As mentioned earlier a lot of different motor and chassis layouts were tested and the choice of a 4 gear laydown was made due to being a lot more versatile in terms of track surfaces.

At the time people were crying about 2WD cars getting too specialized and you would have to have several cars for different tracks/surfaces.

Fast forward 1 year and people are crying about the current 2WD offerings not being specialized enough.......

You also have to remember that this is Xray's first 2WD and it has been on the market for less than a year.........that's under 12 months !!!!!!!!!

So another way of viewing it would be; look at what Xray have achieved in less than a year compared to their competitors that have made 2WD buggies for how long now......?

And as already mentioned several times a 3 gear laydown will now be avaliable on the new updated XB2 and for all of those already owning an XB2 it will be an easy upgrade

The Dirt edition that will be out later this year will also have several updates and we are constantly working on new parts and options to further better the platform.

As of just in a matter of days you will have the option to run your XB2 with either 3 or 4 gear laydown or 3 or 4 gear standup gearboxes.

You have the choice of medium, hard, graphite and aluminum parts.

Ball diff or gear diff.

Standard or lightweight bodies.

Bulkheads, hinge pin holders and camber link holders in different composites, aluminum and brass.

You also have the option of a slipper eliminator with 69 and 72 spur gear for stock classes.

I would say we have gotten a lot of stuff done in under 12 months on the market

And more is coming. Xray won't rest until the XB2 and XT2 are the best options in their respective classes just like the Xray XB4

Bent
YES !!!! so excited for the upgrades !!! Any ideas what month it will be released to the public?
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:07 AM   #3713
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
YES !!!! so excited for the upgrades !!! Any ideas what month it will be released to the public?
This month

Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel | Hiro Seiko
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:39 AM   #3714
Tech Elite
 
seth556's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,202
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Hey Bent, do you know what type of coffee the development team drinks? Trying to be more productive at work.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:46 AM   #3715
Tech Elite
 
symmetricon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 4,641
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
Hey Bent, do you know what type of coffee the development team drinks? Trying to be more productive at work.
__________________
XRAY / RCAMERICA
JCONCEPTS
RCSHOX
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #3716
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Bent, what is the team using on med-high bite clay? My track is like cement, sometimes rough spots develop and sometimes it gets dusty, but the main of it is very hard cement like clay. not the smooth shiny hard clay, i think you get it...tires we use slicks or electrons super soft when the layout is new.

but are you using the CE car with a ball diff or the DE car in such conditions.
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #3717
Tech Elite
 
seth556's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,202
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
Bent, what is the team using on med-high bite clay? My track is like cement, sometimes rough spots develop and sometimes it gets dusty, but the main of it is very hard cement like clay. not the smooth shiny hard clay, i think you get it...tires we use slicks or electrons super soft when the layout is new.

but are you using the CE car with a ball diff or the DE car in such conditions.
Sounds exactly like my track except we run clay compound tires. I try to slow down and limit the suspension travel so the car is more stable through the high speed rough sections instead of constantly transferring weight all over the place. Mostly a lot of things to make the car super dead while still having steering and forward bite.

Add weight under the battery and run the brass RF holder. A low-profile battery and light weight body also helps for higher speed sections if the car is wanting to get upset and traction roll.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #3718
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 26
Default

Bent, thanks for follow up on tire / wheels. Is a front sway bar option something that will be looked at in the near future. I also notice not too many people seem to be running rear sway bar on the XB2 on high grip carpet, wondering why that may be.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #3719
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 156
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

With the longer shock ends are people just using them on the rear of the car or both I have the dirt car and run on clay
billsharp34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #3720
Tech Master
 
EricW's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,869
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Any idea what the price point is for the 3 gear? I'd like to get one for my 2016.
__________________
Stickas are for straight up suckas......

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
Banshee8530
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:48 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net