Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Horizontal or Vertical ball stud mounting? >

Horizontal or Vertical ball stud mounting?

Horizontal or Vertical ball stud mounting?

Old 10-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Horizontal or Vertical ball stud mounting?

Hey guys just wondering what the differences are when ball studs are mounted in different axis. Particularly with camber links.. Ive got myself thinking that a horizontal ball stud mount is in the same direction as the a-arm pivot and it would have a greater range of motion over a verticaly mounted ball stud. Examples:

The front of my B4.2 has ball studs that are mounted vertically at the shock tower location:

Jconcepts sells a front shock tower that changes the ball mounts to a horizontal position:

I have both shock towers for my B4.2 and C4.2. I really like the jconcepts one but I want to know if it really makes a difference or is it just in my head? I have more questions about this as it pertains to the hub mounting. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/critiques/confusion you can add.

Last edited by 76jimmy; 10-15-2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Doesn't matter.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Same thing with castor blocks and hub carriers? After looking at a bunch of pics of cars it varries so much I didn't know if it changed the car in any way.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

The only thing is, if your ball stud is mounted horizontal, you can make finer adjustments, as you put different thick shims under it, when you have an vertical mounting, the distance between one hole to the other, mostly is about 2 mm.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Ok I see what you mean. I can use smaller shims under the ball to get finner adjustments vs the other way the holes are further apart. I never really mess with the camber links too much because I don't completely understand what they do to my car. I try to stay close to the stock setup.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by micholix
The only thing is, if your ball stud is mounted horizontal, you can make finer adjustments, as you put different thick shims under it, when you have an vertical mounting, the distance between one hole to the other, mostly is about 2 mm.
Sorry, i did an mistake, its actually the opposit way!
If you have them vertically, you adjust by adding, or removing shims, and if you have them mounted horizontaly, the distance between the holes is your change of the high....

But you sayed i right.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by micholix
Sorry, i did an mistake, its actually the opposit way!
If you have them vertically, you adjust by adding, or removing shims, and if you have them mounted horizontaly, the distance between the holes is your change of the high....

But you sayed i right.
Yea I knew you knew that I knew what you meant to say.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Here you go. Personally I would go with the carbon tower. The reason I say that is, notice how when you push down on the frt shock tower, the front tiers tilt in, going negative camber, as well as the toe in going much more toe in? Raise the link to a slightly higher position and they won't do that as badly. Diving into a corner is when you need the most steering you can get.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ber-links.html
Old 10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks all. Im getting a better understanding of the concept. I have read the tune with camber links thread and it is very in depth. My mind only fits info one byte at a time. If I can imagine how something works and see it in action it really helps. Have a new build I'll be doing soon and there are a few options for parts . I guess I wanted a better idea of what the different parts will do before I use them. All these pieces and parts are fun to mess around with. See what works what doesn't that kinda thing.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
Doesn't matter.
It does matter. One way provides far more granularity in your adjustments.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

But the other way doesn't get extreme angles on the ballstud, so it doesn't pop off so easily. Make your choice!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gayosaka
But the other way doesn't get extreme angles on the ballstud, so it doesn't pop off so easily. Make your choice!
Depends on what angle they get hit from. If a car hits you more from the rear and makes contact with your front ballcup.. it will pop off much more easily if running horz ballstuds.

I have been running my current B5m for 1.5 years... I have yet to pop a single ballcup.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
It does matter. One way provides far more granularity in your adjustments.
2mm is surely going to be felt by most racers, but less than that? I don't know Captain.
On the rear the stuff gets interesting, as the thread from the ballstud can interfere and pinch the bearings if it's a vertical mounting. Getting the threads from going too deep and you end up with a short ballstud that gets ripped easily or a camber link so high it makes contact with the wheel during suspension travel or even worse high roll center.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is just my personal opinion but I'd like to see a design where the vertical stud is only on the outer location and even then the only location option at that end. You can either raise or lower it. I'd put a horizontal location at the inner spot but even then only two spots, short and long, or at least an insert system like on the B5. This would remove lots of confusion for many people such as should they raise the outer or lower the inner and so forth and so on and would cover all of the spots that people would likely use.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Gayosaka
That's what I was thinking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.