Guess what!

Old 11-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Default Guess what!

I just got myself a "Pre-Owned: Traxxas Nitro Buggy for $125 with a Futaba radio. The whole buggy is complete (After I told the LHS guy to throw in a free pull starter) and ready to run. The buggy was driven one or two times, and the motor is only about a quarter way through break in. Tomorrow is the day when I take it out back and see what it's made of. The PRO .15 is still brand new, and I plan to wait till it looses pinch before sending it back to Traxxas for a discounted 2.5 mill. The chassis has a bit of corrosion from sitting for so long, but other than that there are no scratches fron driving it. The rear is lightly scuffed but that could come from bottoming out when trying to start it. I am suprised at the suspension is so plush and adjustable on this buggy as well. My Bandit needed a lot of Massaging before it would give up the plushiness, but this thing feels more like a Losi than a Traxxas. The obscenely large chassis is rather wierd to look at but gets the job done.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

So, how many cars do you now have? Post a link to the new buggy.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Well you wanted a link to it on our site, so now that it's a day after I bought it I've managed to get it all uploaded and working. If anyone is interested go to www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/NitroBuggy.html. Let me know what you guys think!

By the way...This makes about 17 cars in my personal stable, and I have to get most of them running again. I promised a friend of mine that I would get some other cars going before I bought another one. I built my Juggernaut back up, fixed my T2, am waiting on brake parts to finish the XXX-NT (I built a new motor for it! ), fixed the Boomerang, rebuilt the Kyosho Super Beetle, and worked on several other vehicles. I think after all that money and time I deserve to splurge! I have a new JR XR2I in the mail for my XXX-T off-road racer I'm 'secretly' building too!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Adept

Nice find. I remember those buggies. They used that same chassis on the old Traxxis Nitro Hawk. That clutch setup is pretty unusual isn't it? Just make sure you put some thread lock on that clutch nut. The flywheel will tend to loosen it.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Yeah I already found that out. I took it apart to free up the clutch (It was sitting so long it kind of froze up..all better now!) and noticed that After I thought I tightened it enough I had to go back and crank some more until it stay put. I'll get some thread lock and see if that does the trick.

How many gallons did you get from that PRO .15 mill? I've heard some say they wear quickly, and some say they still start first pull after 4 gallons, so I don't know what to expect. Everything I've seen so far points to this engine running hot and being tricky to tune, so mabye you can give me some idea of just what I'm in for. I plan to wait until this motor has had it before sending Traxxas the worn mill and a check to take advantage of their engine replacement plan. This way I can get a pretty good discount on a TRX 2.5 mill. When that dies I will probably do the same thing again and get a 2.5R mill and stuff it in some other car!

By the way...900TH POST!!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
Yeah I already found that out. I took it apart to free up the clutch (It was sitting so long it kind of froze up..all better now!) and noticed that After I thought I tightened it enough I had to go back and crank some more until it stay put. I'll get some thread lock and see if that does the trick.

How many gallons did you get from that PRO .15 mill? I've heard some say they wear quickly, and some say they still start first pull after 4 gallons, so I don't know what to expect. Everything I've seen so far points to this engine running hot and being tricky to tune, so mabye you can give me some idea of just what I'm in for. I plan to wait until this motor has had it before sending Traxxas the worn mill and a check to take advantage of their engine replacement plan. This way I can get a pretty good discount on a TRX 2.5 mill. When that dies I will probably do the same thing again and get a 2.5R mill and stuff it in some other car!

By the way...900TH POST!!
You can buy new 2.5 engines for cheaper than the replacement plan.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Brand new ones? I have been burned multiple times by used engines and don't really like the idea of getting an eBay mill. I just put a new sleeve in an old O.S. motor someone that someone told me "Runs Fine."
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

I drove it today...man! I had to complete the break in procedure but when I finally got to give it a bit of gas it became all to appearant that this thing has a Hell of a lot of motor for not a lot of car! At 10 MPH (1/4 throttle) you can make a quick 1/2 throttle blip and send the back into a wild fishtail! Enough power to go around I would say! It can't idle worth anything though. It has the most inconsistant idle of any nitro mill I have ever seen. I have an O.S. CZ .12 with 4 gallons through it that idled better than this thing before a rebuild (Mabye an exxageration, but it did idle). This PRO .15 runs great at 1/4 throttle, as a matter of fact I would bet that with enough fuel it would do it for 3 days straight! It starts to sputter at idle and just won't stay going. I've tried the low speed in both directions and it won't help. Replacing the fuel line made it start and prime better, but still no idle improvement. I will keep messing with it and see what I can come up with.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pretty cool car man
Old 11-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Thanks! I've got the idle squared away now. This thing just can't hold a tune worth anything. It gets insane runtime! This definatly will outlast any other nitro engine on 75CC I have ever seen. It gets enormous mid range power, and will send rooster tails of dirt and rocks flying when you floor it. I was suprised by this as I always thought the PRO .15 was a crap motor. Turns out to be a real sleeper! It's top end could be better, but it's mid range really has it going on! The gearing is fixed with the stock clutch bell, but that's just fine when you have this much usable power.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Alright...go to www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Movies.html and download the new Nitro Thunder 3 movie to see what this little buggy can do.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

I only see nitro thunder 1 & 2
Old 11-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Sorry about that!

It's all fixed now...I got it working again. Now let me know what you think!