1:8 or 1:10 buggy? Stuck in decision making

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1:8 or 1:10 buggy? Stuck in decision making

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Default 1:8 or 1:10 buggy? Stuck in decision making --> Decision Made: Asso B4.2RS

Hey guys, (Hopefully the right forum here, otherwise: Sorry, please move)

I am kind of new to the rc car hobby (I am more the rc glider kind of guy (15years experience). I bought the WLtoys A979 just for fun and thought: Damn, these cars make fun – NEED One!

So I started to look for some kind of beginner car. But that decision keeps me crazy for almost 2 weeks now, I am starting to dream about this stuff.

Maybe you can give me some help on what decision is best for me.

I think you need my driving conditions, budget and idea on what I want to with the new started hobby:

Since I am beginner I’d like to “throw the car out there” and have 2 batteries of fun. This could mean an empty parking deck, or in my small garden (I think my girlfriend would strongly disagree ), or near some gravel plants or anything that’s just there. I know that’s kind of “everywhere” but I don’t want to drive miles and miles around to find the perfect spot.

I have a rc outdoor track just 2 miles from my work, so I could perfectly drive there after work and do the above. Problem: Maximum Car size is 1:10 (but I am definitely not the competitive race driver, so the track purpose isn’t my priority)

I am in some budget limits, and hopefully I can get something durable, and solid for at max 400€ (including 1 LiPo) (~450$) If I don’t have to spend that much, perfect

With this terms I asked a few local dealers and they recommended a 1:8 buggy --> it’s size and chassis clearance should make it more an allround vehicle. So I bought a Thundertiger EB-4 G3 which I inspected all weekend (not driven! so I could return it eventually). I spent a little more than 400$ including a 4S5200 LiPo.

So far so good

Last weekend I met a colleague who is driving at the mentioned track with his Asso B5 (don’t know the electronic specs). He let me drive his car on an empty car parking area. We made up a little track and I could drive his asso for as long as I wanted. Conclusion: DAMN! That things is nice. He recommended the Asso B4.2RS RTR Set (is around 300$ without Lipo), because the B5 definitely would exceed my budget (car kit is 300$ in Germany), and the B4 should be "quite as good from my perspective.

Next problem: My girlfriend tried the asso too and now starts to get interested in the rc stuff too. So I would like to get the same car for me and my girlfriend so we can have “parking lot beginner races"

Summarized:
I am kind of stuck in the decision. I could keep the 1:8 Thundertiger and drive everywhere I want to (I think it makes a good all-terrain-buggy). But my girlfriend don’t want such a “big car” and I can’t drive at my local track. I could return the Thundertiger and buy the Asso B4.2RS (for me and my girlfriend). But the small 1:10 buggy (I think little less then 1inch chassis clearance) won’t fit into the all terrain vehicle kind of type.

I could (but I should not) keep the big 1:8 and buy 2 Asso’s and have everything what I want, but my wallet just says:

Maybe you can give me some insight and wisdom what option is the best

Thanks for reading and sorry for any language mistakes- hopefully it doesn’t sound to silly

Regards from Germany
Bastian

Last edited by man1ac; 10-14-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by man1ac
Hey guys, (Hopefully the right forum here, otherwise: Sorry, please move)

I am kind of new to the rc car hobby (I am more the rc glider kind of guy (15years experience). I bought the WLtoys A979 just for fun and thought: Damn, these cars make fun – NEED One!

So I started to look for some kind of beginner car. But that decision keeps me crazy for almost 2 weeks now, I am starting to dream about this stuff.

Maybe you can give me some help on what decision is best for me.

I think you need my driving conditions, budget and idea on what I want to with the new started hobby:
I would take the 1/8 car back and get the 1/10 cars. After a while bashing around in a parking lot gets boring. Most tracks have a beginner class so dont be intimidated going there

Since I am beginner I’d like to “throw the car out there” and have 2 batteries of fun. This could mean an empty parking deck, or in my small garden (I think my girlfriend would strongly disagree ), or near some gravel plants or anything that’s just there. I know that’s kind of “everywhere” but I don’t want to drive miles and miles around to find the perfect spot.

I have a rc outdoor track just 2 miles from my work, so I could perfectly drive there after work and do the above. Problem: Maximum Car size is 1:10 (but I am definitely not the competitive race driver, so the track purpose isn’t my priority)

I am in some budget limits, and hopefully I can get something durable, and solid for at max 400€ (including 1 LiPo) (~450$) If I don’t have to spend that much, perfect

With this terms I asked a few local dealers and they recommended a 1:8 buggy --> it’s size and chassis clearance should make it more an allround vehicle. So I bought a Thundertiger EB-4 G3 which I inspected all weekend (not driven! so I could return it eventually). I spent a little more than 400$ including a 4S5200 LiPo.

So far so good

Last weekend I met a colleague who is driving at the mentioned track with his Asso B5 (don’t know the electronic specs). He let me drive his car on an empty car parking area. We made up a little track and I could drive his asso for as long as I wanted. Conclusion: DAMN! That things is nice. He recommended the Asso B4.2RS RTR Set (is around 300$ without Lipo), because the B5 definitely would exceed my budget (car kit is 300$ in Germany), and the B4 should be "quite as good from my perspective.

Next problem: My girlfriend tried the asso too and now starts to get interested in the rc stuff too. So I would like to get the same car for me and my girlfriend so we can have “parking lot beginner races"

Summarized:
I am kind of stuck in the decision. I could keep the 1:8 Thundertiger and drive everywhere I want to (I think it makes a good all-terrain-buggy). But my girlfriend don’t want such a “big car” and I can’t drive at my local track. I could return the Thundertiger and buy the Asso B4.2RS (for me and my girlfriend). But the small 1:10 buggy (I think little less then 1inch chassis clearance) won’t fit into the all terrain vehicle kind of type.

I could (but I should not) keep the big 1:8 and buy 2 Asso’s and have everything what I want, but my wallet just says:

Maybe you can give me some insight and wisdom what option is the best

Thanks for reading and sorry for any language mistakes- hopefully it doesn’t sound to silly

Regards from Germany
Bastian
I would take the 1/8 car back and get the 1/10 cars. After a while bashing around in a parking lot gets boring. Most tracks have a beginner class so dont be intimidated going there. In the long run I think you will have more fun and learn more by going to the track.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coppercanyon
I would take the 1/8 car back and get the 1/10 cars. After a while bashing around in a parking lot gets boring. Most tracks have a beginner class so dont be intimidated going there. In the long run I think you will have more fun and learn more by going to the track.
I'd have to agree, plus what if you did get in the mood to race? A race worthy 1/8th scale will be way out of budget, and I would never advise used 1/8th scale vehicles since they go through so much abuse. The B4.2 RTR will be just fine to get you started either bashing or racing in the rookie class. It really is your best choice. Your English is fine.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

du bist glücklich ! du hast die Freudin, jetzt brauchst nur das passende auto !

I'm a 1/8 basher guy so I would recommend a cheap strong 1/8 to play around and mostly jump ! any ramp will do but it has to fly !

My girlfriend and I started on a traxxas slash. After that we got 1/8 buggies : she find them much more stable and easier. she handles 30 feet jumps now and we have fun fighting on a backyard track !

I think if you go 1/10, it will only be for the track or the flat parking...

for me, 1/10 is like a small fragile formula 1, 1/8 is like a tough american racing truck !
Old 10-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there a 1/8 track near your place ? Might be worth the extra miles.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shannow
Is there a 1/8 track near your place ? Might be worth the extra miles.
c'est ce que je pensais aussi... et puis quelle marque de 1/8 acheter en allemagne ?
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys!

Thanks for the answers! Yes there is a 1/8 track around 20 miles from work. For just 1 or 2 trips a month this could be an idea, but I the guys running the track does not seem so beginner friendly - they don't want new/beginner guys on their track (thats what I've been told, multiple times).

I found some video in which a guys bashed the b4.2rs pretty hard in sime kind of desert, I think he made the choice for me. The 1/8 would be better for just driving around, but I think due to the 1/10 scale is more common around my driving/working place I should keep with the b4.2rs.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

that not very smart thing if he truly doesn't want beginners. as the die hards start to get stop coming, where do you get the new blood from?

very dumb ...
Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Agreed Cain. Either way tracks have PRACTICE DAYS where anyone can come and pay a nominal fee and practice as long as they're open. If I went to a track and more experienced drivers complained I'd tell them tough nougies! Don't like it, wait until I'm done running as they don't own the track.

I've had to check a few guys who felt they could speak to MY son how they pleased. That crap doesn't fly with me and anyone who DARES tell my son, or my 6-year old twins anything in a poor manor or talk down to them has a slice of reality pie just waiting for them. This is a hobby that above all is supposed to be about FUN, doing battle with TOY CARS. If someone is aggressive and rude track officials should see to it they leave the premises effective immediately for the day and Repeat Offenders be asked to never come back.

We have a few of those but for the most part the people at most of the tracks I'v been to are like a family of sorts and we all have a good time together, racing, talking, helping one another and even sharing bits of our lives with one another so going to the track is something we all look forward to.

Personally, I think there is an alternative for you and your GF…

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...FUERHwodp5oHFA
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

I totally agree, but here around munich I get the impression that some guys are pretty awesome and help beginners even by letting them drive their 500$ Asso B5 (damn nice car ) and there are guys who literally own the track I was talking about.

I dont mind it anyway, its 40min drive and my main goal is having fun, so any backyard will do and for the upcoming spring (hehe, upcoming ) I will try my local 5-min-away-track. The guy who helped me chose the buggy drives there, so I think everythings okay.

@incubus: The SC10 looks pretty nice, too! My girlfriend told me yesterday that the buggys look way to amicable (hopefully thats the right word, the dictionary chose). She wants something bigger - so the Short Course definitely would fit into that.
It costs a little more.

Can anyone just give some help: I'd like to build the SC10.2 Factory, if I am to get a SC truck. But I am not that experienced in choosing the right Motor/ESC Combo (I am looking for some kind of "bang for the buck" kind of Combo)? The truck will get way more expensive by this (The factory team kit costs the same as the RS)....but if its worth the money I am willing to spent it!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you can, I would go for the 5th generation Associated cars, either the B5M or SC5M rather than the older B4/SC10.2. They are much tougher than the old ones. The B5M has just gone on sale locally here having been superseded by the B5M lite in the U.S., so prices should drop soon.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Just found the B5M Lite, but it's way more expensive, so I dont think it superseeds the standard version. (Even if, I think the price would drop just a bit)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

That's like asking whether you should listen to Taylor Swift or Pantera.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'd have to disagree.

Best advice here. Also, you need to consider that running 8th scale costs more as tires are more expensive and the power of 8th scales shred them in no time.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

So I think the decision is made
Can't wait for better weather.
Thanks for the advice, the first impression is very nice, got some spare tires from my colleague - so I can go out and destroy them

@rcgod: I don't meant if the Lite is generally worth the more spent money, it's definitely not for a beginner like me
Attached Thumbnails 1:8 or 1:10 buggy? Stuck in decision making-auto.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.