Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hobbywing 3.1/v10 vs Orion R10.1/VTS2 vs Reedy Blackbox 410r/sonic mach3 >

Hobbywing 3.1/v10 vs Orion R10.1/VTS2 vs Reedy Blackbox 410r/sonic mach3

Hobbywing 3.1/v10 vs Orion R10.1/VTS2 vs Reedy Blackbox 410r/sonic mach3

Old 10-12-2015, 12:05 AM
fmm
Tech Adept

Default Hobbywing 3.1/v10 vs Orion R10.1/VTS2 vs Reedy Blackbox 410r/sonic mach3

Hi all,

I need to buy new electronics for my 2wd and 4wd buggies and I am not sure which one of the following combos is the best one:

- Hobbywing 3.1/v10
- Orion R10.1/VTS2
- Reedy Blackbox 410r/ Sonic mach3

Which would be the smoothest and easy to setup combo?

Any inputs about pros and cons would be really appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

hobbywing

pros-cost, smooth, easy to setup with program card
cons-some have had issues with warranty/customer support (i've had good experiences)

orion

pros- smooth, easy to setup with program card
cons-cost, horizon is hit or miss with customer service

reedy

pros-customer service is top notch
cons- people have had issues with blackbox so you may need that customer support

overall i'd go with hobbywing. great cost/performance. make sure you go with authorized us dealer to get the best chance at customer support should you need it.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:47 AM
fmm
Tech Adept

Thank you very much for the reply!

I am in Europe, but I have HW, Orion and Reedy/AE very close, so it should not be a problem.

I really like the HW combo but I have heard that the new Orion is really really good as well. Which one of those is smoother?

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:41 AM
Tech Initiate

If I'm not mistake HW produce ESC as OEM for Orion too.
Orion just develops his own software.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default PC Board quality?

The Orion r10.1 advertises having a thicker pc board that can take crashes better. Does the HB 3.1 use the same internal hardware like the claimed tougher r10.1 board?

Edit: thicker pcb is for lower IR not crash sustainability

Last edited by Finalist; 01-06-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Finalist
The Orion r10.1 advertises having a thicker pc board that can take crashes better. Does the HB 3.1 use the same internal hardware like the claimed tougher r10.1 board?
If you're crashing hard enough to break a pc board inside an esc (that's in a case). Might want to make changes other than a more robust PC board.

Hobbywing makes great stuff.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
If you're crashing hard enough to break a pc board inside an esc (that's in a case). Might want to make changes other than a more robust PC board.

Hobbywing makes great stuff.

Sorry... The thicker pcb isn't marketed for crashes it's marketed for lower resistance.
The HB3.1 has some awesome features the Orion doesn't have and vice versa.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hobbywing V3.1 ESC

Orion is just too expensive and Reedy Blackbox can be (can ... depending on your own mileage) a bit more finnicky with motor sensors.

As for motors, I'm quite partial to the Muchmore Fletas or the Team Powers Plutonium V2 if running mod. Have no idea about stock because I've never run stock in buggy.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Hobbywing V3.1 ESC

Orion is just too expensive and Reedy Blackbox can be (can ... depending on your own mileage) a bit more finnicky with motor sensors.

As for motors, I'm quite partial to the Muchmore Fletas or the Team Powers Plutonium V2 if running mod. Have no idea about stock because I've never run stock in buggy.
I've only ever run R10.1 (still new to rc racing) and what kills me the most isn't the price of the esc, but the price of the damn Orion esc program box. I have abused the hell out of my r10.1 and it's held up perfectly well.

I love the v3.1 function of holding the break for 7 secs to turn off. Wish the orion had that. The external switch mist be to accommodate the second sensor port.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

I love the v3.1 function of holding the break for 7 secs to turn off. Wish the orion had that. The external switch mist be to accommodate the second sensor port.
Having experience with the Reedy and the HW I would recommend the Reedy. I like how the team posts setup sheets for the esc and, to me at least, I find it easier to work through the setup box and make changes with the Reedy.

I hate the function of holding the brake to turn off, a few times I have crashed in practice and my natural instinct is to hold the brake while I await a marshall or make my way down the stand. Numerous times a marshall has flipped me over only to realize that I have turned the car off...
Old 01-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Sorry... The thicker pcb isn't marketed for crashes it's marketed for lower resistance.
The HB3.1 has some awesome features the Orion doesn't have and vice versa.
That makes more sense. HA!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Having experience with the Reedy and the HW I would recommend the Reedy. I like how the team posts setup sheets for the esc and, to me at least, I find it easier to work through the setup box and make changes with the Reedy.

I hate the function of holding the brake to turn off, a few times I have crashed in practice and my natural instinct is to hold the brake while I await a marshall or make my way down the stand. Numerous times a marshall has flipped me over only to realize that I have turned the car off...
Why would you hold the brake when you crash. If you crashed and need a marshal, your car isn't going anywhere. Lol
Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings

I just put the brake EPA to 98% to avoid this. One track I raced at depending where you qualified would have you on a slight decline for the starting grid.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla
Why would you hold the brake when you crash. If you crashed and need a marshal, your car isn't going anywhere. Lol
I think its just habit from racing stock in the brushed days and you would trim in a little roll at neutral.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I have quite a few 3.1s and never knew that function existed......turning off after 7 seconds.....that is awesome!!

You know, I'm kind of on the fence about the ESCs. They're all really good these days. I'm a hobbywing guy all the way but I'd use an Orion. The Blackbox is exactly that to me, a black box. I dunno. I've had one and it worked fine. It had a little too much "stuff" on it in terms of programming but I'd have no issue using one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.