Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper battery connections ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Proper battery connections ??

My current setup has a hard-case Turnigy Lipo with the bullet connectors that plug down into the battery from the top.

What I did a long time ago was soldered those bullet connectors onto the wires off of the ESC. I then just basically directly plug the ESC right into the battery instead of having an intermediary connection point. Is that bad form?

I've seen a lot of guys that have these same batteries that have the bullet connectors that plug right down into the battery and then they come out of those to a deans plug.

Is that really necessary? Isnt the point to be able to disconnect quickly? If so - is pulling the bullet plug out of the battery pack not sufficient?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shaferz
My current setup has a hard-case Turnigy Lipo with the bullet connectors that plug down into the battery from the top.

What I did a long time ago was soldered those bullet connectors onto the wires off of the ESC. I then just basically directly plug the ESC right into the battery instead of having an intermediary connection point. Is that bad form?

I've seen a lot of guys that have these same batteries that have the bullet connectors that plug right down into the battery and then they come out of those to a deans plug.

Is that really necessary? Isnt the point to be able to disconnect quickly? If so - is pulling the bullet plug out of the battery pack not sufficient?
You did it properly. There's no need for an extra plug
Old 09-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's all preference. You can have a traxxas plug coming out of your pack soldered to an ec3 to a deans to an xt-60 onto your esc if you'd like.

Generally, racers go with bullets directly to the pack. there are less points of failure. It's a higher risk doing it though because it's super easy to reverse polarity and fry your speed controller. If you are new or are worried about reversing polarity just throw a deans plug on. They are 100% fool proof.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrandonBreh
If you are new or are worried about reversing polarity just throw a deans plug on. They are 100% fool proof.
Unless you have the wires that go to the battery in backwards.

The only foolproof way is to have a pack hardwired with deans.

I personally just use bullets in all of my cars.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your way is the preferred method.

The least amount of things you have soldered between your battery and esc the less resistance, the less of chance of a bad solder joint and less of a chance of failure you'll have.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
Unless you have the wires that go to the battery in backwards.

The only foolproof way is to have a pack hardwired with deans.

I personally just use bullets in all of my cars.
In theory, even if you have bullets, you only plug the adapter into the battery once.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Bullets are the best for performance-wise. Make sure ESC/battery wires are Red (pos) and black(neg). Also on all my packs, I put a red sticker (or dab of red paint) near the pos. connector of the battery and check 3 times before I plug in that last wire.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
Bullets are the best for performance-wise. Make sure ESC/battery wires are Red (pos) and black(neg). Also on all my packs, I put a red sticker (or dab of red paint) near the pos. connector of the battery and check 3 times before I plug in that last wire.
And if possible, make either the positive or negative wire from the ESC long enough to reach its correct position but short enough to NOT be able to plug in the incorrect location with the battery strapped into the car.

At some point, we are all rushed to make a qualifier and the room for error increases. If the negative wire will ONLY reach the negative terminal of the battery, you won't be able to wrongly plug BOTH battery cables in the wrong holes at once. You'll recognize the error before it's too late, as the "other" wire won't reach.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vwduud
And if possible, make either the positive or negative wire from the ESC long enough to reach its correct position but short enough to NOT be able to plug in the incorrect location with the battery strapped into the car.

At some point, we are all rushed to make a qualifier and the room for error increases. If the negative wire will ONLY reach the negative terminal of the battery, you won't be able to wrongly plug BOTH battery cables in the wrong holes at once. You'll recognize the error before it's too late, as the "other" wire won't reach.
I see this method quite often too. Great idea!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Guys do the bullet to deans connectors to prevent themselves from connecting the battery backwards. I personally go from the speed control right to the bullets into the batteries.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Waaaaay back in the day we would solder the SC wires directly to the battery.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
Guys do the bullet to deans connectors to prevent themselves from connecting the battery backwards. I personally go from the speed control right to the bullets into the batteries.
You still have to watch that you plug the bullets into the Deans without crossing them. Unplug from the Deans every time and should be no issues. I soldered female bullet ends onto the backside of a Deans so I can use either battery with esc having bullets soldered on. Still have to watch plugging the bullets into the deans but after that, just unplug the deans.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
You can still get it wrong
Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Haha, yeah I remember back in the late 90's just soldering my Novak Cyclone DIRECTLY to my battery pack for each run. Just HAD to get every last bit of juice possible. But also meant I put myself at risk of a bad solder joint if done in a rush.

I always soldered an extra battery bar at each end of the pack, bent it in an L shape, and that's what I soldered the ESC wires to. Everyone did it that way.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oPAULo
Waaaaay back in the day we would solder the SC wires directly to the battery.
Originally Posted by xjwolfpacker
Haha, yeah I remember back in the late 90's just soldering my Novak Cyclone DIRECTLY to my battery pack for each run. Just HAD to get every last bit of juice possible. But also meant I put myself at risk of a bad solder joint if done in a rush.

I always soldered an extra battery bar at each end of the pack, bent it in an L shape, and that's what I soldered the ESC wires to. Everyone did it that way.
ahhh, the good ol' days. Soldering directly to an L bent battery bar, right on the end of the sub-c cells.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.