1/8 e buggy choice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 e buggy choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Mugen arms don't break unless you hit something very hard. They are not brittle.

The Serpent has it's own issues.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Mugen arms don't break unless you hit something very hard. They are not brittle.

The Serpent has it's own issues.
+1 on the mugen...the tekno is very strong but I have seen fron towers break before a arm... I'd rather break an arm.. Regardless of the brand, you better keep a nice stock of front arms
Old 09-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Spounds like any of the buggies could have it own quirks.

Any opinion on the Durango buggies?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
+1 on the mugen...the tekno is very strong but I have seen fron towers break before a arm... I'd rather break an arm.. Regardless of the brand, you better keep a nice stock of front arms
Are you saying you have seen more than 1 aluminum front shock tower on a Tekno "break" ? Carbon tower ? just curious
Old 09-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
A STOCK of front arms? I only see 8th scales break an arm extremely rarely. My RC8.2e is four years old and I've never broken an arm.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Went through all contenders you have and I decided on RC8.2e RTR. Bought it 8/31/15.

I love it. Have about 10 packs through it at my local track (Kirkwood MO) and bashing around the house. Have replaced nothing. Just have had to tighten a few things here and there, and needed to re glue the tires. Pretty typical for an RTR.

I don't intend to race. Just wanted a quality durable buggy with good parts support. Very happy with it.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks again, some really good feedback/info here.

I'm leaning toward buying used as there's more bang for your buck even though it can be a bit of a gamble sometimes.

My narrowed down choices are the AE, Losi and maybe Mugen. A friend is ordering the mp9e and I'll see what it's like when he gets it. Final decision will be made depending what comes up for sale.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone17
Spounds like any of the buggies could have it own quirks.

Any opinion on the Durango buggies?
I have the durango DEX8 and DEX8T. I don't have as much use as others with a local track on it, but in comparison to other vehicles I have owned like Teknos EB48, the Mugen MBX5, Hot bodies D8 converted, and and early RC8 my thoughts are this:

Other than the fact it doesn't have a steel spur gear option and you need to use the mugen washer or similar washer mod on the front pivot balls (you just put this on, thats it instead of the plastic C clip) its a durable buggy and has nice handling capabilities.

That said, it seems similar to the Armma buggy out there in looks but with a different center diff setup which in my opinion if you want something that can bash and looks like it can race too, I probably would give it a look.

The Tekno I never really had breakage issues other than once breaking the shock tower off of a jump that I felt it shouldn't have broken, but it was a big jump in race conditions. Add a steel spur gear and I feel you are ready to rock there.

All in all, I think there isn't a 1/8 offering that is "bad" for bashing per say, these things are built for some rugged running by there nature. If you plan to jump over buildings, etc, anything will eventually fail. I will say I would mainly look for vehicles that are known to be low on parts wear, I think that is where you will see most of your savings personally from vehicle to vehicle.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
I have the durango DEX8 and DEX8T. I don't have as much use as others with a local track on it, but in comparison to other vehicles I have owned like Teknos EB48, the Mugen MBX5, Hot bodies D8 converted, and and early RC8 my thoughts are this:

Other than the fact it doesn't have a steel spur gear option and you need to use the mugen washer or similar washer mod on the front pivot balls (you just put this on, thats it instead of the plastic C clip) its a durable buggy and has nice handling capabilities.

That said, it seems similar to the Armma buggy out there in looks but with a different center diff setup which in my opinion if you want something that can bash and looks like it can race too, I probably would give it a look.

The Tekno I never really had breakage issues other than once breaking the shock tower off of a jump that I felt it shouldn't have broken, but it was a big jump in race conditions. Add a steel spur gear and I feel you are ready to rock there.

All in all, I think there isn't a 1/8 offering that is "bad" for bashing per say, these things are built for some rugged running by there nature. If you plan to jump over buildings, etc, anything will eventually fail. I will say I would mainly look for vehicles that are known to be low on parts wear, I think that is where you will see most of your savings personally from vehicle to vehicle.
Thanks for this info.
I haven't put a lot of thought into parts wear, mostly durability against breakage but it seems wear could be as big a concern
Old 09-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Just to update the thread:
I've got an EB48.2 on the way, got it used at what I think is a fair price.

Pretty stoked to get it and see what it's like compared to nitro 1/8.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and opinions.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Make sure you put the basic . 3 upgrade kit on it
Old 09-20-2015, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by coombes
Make sure you put the basic . 3 upgrade kit on it
Can you explain what these upgrades are?
Or a link if there's a kit for it.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone17
Can you explain what these upgrades are?
Or a link if there's a kit for it.
http://www.fiercercsolutions.com/Tek...kit-FRC010.htm
Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Upgrading to the .3 specs may be a nice thing to do , but it certainly is not something you have to do anytime soon. Run the car , get to know it , enjoy it. You don't need to drop another $130 bucks on the car to race it .
Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

I had a Tekno and broke the aluminum tower too. I never really liked the buggy, so I sold it for a Kyosho. Now I am on my 3rd MP9E and I've only replaced 1 arm, which was because of driver error. I have no idea why people believe Kyosho lacks durability because they are better than everything else I've owned (AE, Losi, Tekno). To each their own though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.