Search

XXX Brian Kinwald Edition owner - New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default XXX Brian Kinwald Edition owner - New to Forum

Hi all,

This is my first post and it might be a repeat thread but there is just way to information to dive into right off the bat so I wanted to throw a few questions out there / provide some back round on the car.

So about 12ish years ago I bought the BK edition kit and put it all together. Pretty much after I put it all together, I kind of slid out of the hobby. It sat for a long time being used occasionally here and there up until this week. Kid across the street from me has all the new Team Associated stuff and had no clue at what my car was running. All old technology but it's currently running a 14 turn brushed motor, LRP 7.1 ESC, JR Racing Receiver/Transmitter. Car still moves but definitely needs some work to get it back to day 1 condition.

Questions I have -

What is the difference between the XXX-CR and XXX-BK2? Are parts pretty much interchangeable? Also, where would I find stuff online? I feel like some of the brands I saw back in the day might not be around / as popular today? Any suggestion on brand of parts to use ? Any suggestion on where to start to get up to speed with what technology is out there today?

Thanks all - Hope this starts a new adventure for me.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Wow what a blast from the past! They're calling the B5M vintage...
My very first 1/10th scale buggy was a second hand BK2... Copmpared to cars of today... That thing would be ragged at best unless in a vinatge class. Even the CR would be considered vintage!

I am not saying a guy couldn't make one of those cars drive well, but it would take LOTS of work. As far as interchangeability I am not sure, have you searched for their respective threads?

I guess I discovered a long lost dead thread myself...
Attached Thumbnails XXX Brian Kinwald Edition owner - New to Forum-im000318.jpg  
Old 05-08-2016, 01:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lots of work nah. In fact I currently run an rb5 outdoors cause it just feels better to me than any of my newer buggies (1/8th outdoor track). I still race the xxx-t there sometimes too. If your on carpet or sticky clay forget it your right way too much work but if your on a track like what it was built for in its day its still just as competitive as back then. heck i didn't even have to upgrade the drivetrain of any of my old cars for the new brushless power, at least not out of necessity.

Dont get me wrong I love getting the new kits mainly cause i love building them so much but when im outdoors and its a little loose/dusty I am always falling back to the older cars. Plus i think they look so much cooler.

speaking of which you ever want to sell that xxx im your guy
Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a XXX-CR. They are no slower or less competitive. Newer cars have newer technology, new materials, new geometries. Doesn't mean you have to have the new technology to win, you just need to understand what you have and how to push it to a win.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Turtlex
Lots of work nah. In fact I currently run an rb5 outdoors cause it just feels better to me than any of my newer buggies (1/8th outdoor track). I still race the xxx-t there sometimes too. If your on carpet or sticky clay forget it your right way too much work but if your on a track like what it was built for in its day its still just as competitive as back then. heck i didn't even have to upgrade the drivetrain of any of my old cars for the new brushless power, at least not out of necessity.

Dont get me wrong I love getting the new kits mainly cause i love building them so much but when im outdoors and its a little loose/dusty I am always falling back to the older cars. Plus i think they look so much cooler.

speaking of which you ever want to sell that xxx im your guy
I have a very little use XXX CrI bought as a second car years ago. It's been sitting for a while but it is in fantastic condition. Comes with a couple bodies and a good amount of nip parts to keep her going. If any interest pm me
Old 05-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The Bk2 has longer rear arms and a narrower rear pivot. The 'cr' was rarely run stock, they almost always were converted with the original xxx's narrower rear pivot and Bk2 arms.

Take your Bk2 and put one of the later 'cr' setups on it, get the tires everyone runs at your track and run it. You'll be surprised at how well it goes. The newest cars are a little better, but not a lot. You'd have to be a well practiced driver to translate those differences into faster laptimes.