Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help with HPI Big Bore Shocks >

Help with HPI Big Bore Shocks

Help with HPI Big Bore Shocks

Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Help with HPI Big Bore Shocks

Hi guys!

I'm trying to make a dual stage piston setup to work in the Big Bore shocks but I have trouble finding the right piston size... I thought they were 13mm at first and tried some Traxxas Dual Stage Pistons but the OD is about 1mm off. The Big Bores seems to have a 14mm OD Piston and about 5mm thickness (Same as the Traxxas).

Does anybody know a Dual Stage Piston with a 14mm OD? I think the D8 shocks are 16mm.. Right now I am using 35wt on the stock 4 hole piston with good results but I want to try something different.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone? I was planning on using the Traxxas dual stage piston shims on top of the HPI Big Bore Pistons. The only issue is that the stock HPI pistons is using 4x 1.5mm holes so blocking 2 holes will up my dampening by tons using the same shock fluid.. Perhaps porting the holes to 2x 1.7mm will help with this but since I don't know the Part No for the HPI big bore piston set I don't want to screw my only set of pistons..
Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Well seems I found out that HPI has a Dual Rate Piston for the Hellfire.
HPI HELLFIRE SHOCK PARTS SET 85510
It has all 2 hole pistons + 2 Pistons with Dual Rates I'm going to go for that route and see how it works before doing any further mods to the stock piston.