R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default LHS (local hobby shop) or mail order

I see the benifits in buying local and the cost savings in going mail order. How do you guys feel. My closest hobby shop in really nice ( in that they have great stock) their prices are a few dollars more then mail order but the guys think their S*@t doesn't stink. They always have the same bad attitide whats the deal have any of you guys run into the cocky employee at the hobby shop.
carbonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:28 AM   #2
Tech Elite

I like to buy locally if I can - but if the service is bad, or the stocks are poor, why bother?

We live in an envirmonment where we are free to choose where to buy our stuff - if a shop doesn't have a good attitude towards the r/c trade, then why should the customer reward them financially.

I'm lucky in that I have a good relationship with the people at my local shop - I get a little bit off, they'll get stuff in for me if I need it, and because of that, they probably make more money off me than a shop with no discount and a bad attitude would.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 07:05 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Think of it this way. Your not going to marry anyone from the hobby shop. Just go in there grab your parts and leave,don`t give a chance to get threir mouths started. Let what ever they say go in one ear and out the other.
saints1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 08:36 AM   #4
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to B3boy

Usually, anything that costs over $50 I buy at tower hobbies or speedmart. Even with shipping it saves money. The only downside is it takes about a week if you ship standard.

The hobby town closest to me really sucks. The owners are Indian (not trying to be racist or anything), and they really don't know anything about r/c. They hired this guy to help out since he knows about r/c, but he is so cocky and makes u feel stupid if you don't buy stuff he thinks is good. He doesn't even try helping you. Their prices are wack anyways so I only go there to buy stuff like solder and little things.

Another thing is that the owner tries to sell me stuff I don't even want. Kinda like when you go to mexico and they keep bugging you untill you buy it. I was walking down the isle, and took a glance at a pit bag, then he comes up and tries to sell me a $800 RTR buggy. He tells me it is the real thing just because it is heavy!

B3boy is offline   Reply With Quote