Tekno ET48 help

Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Tekno ET48 help

I need advice... I am still trying to decide on a esc and motor for my et48 kit. I Have a castle mmm2 and 2200 in my other truck and it's been great I really wanted to try tekin out this time but I just don't like that it is not waterproof (I read the rx8 is hit and miss on quality is that actually true)?. All motors can get wet right? It's just the tekin esc that isn't waterproof? So if I find a waterproof sensored esc I could use that with a tekin t8? Is anybody using a viper vtx8 esc or have any good or bad experiences with them? It is sensored and waterproof and also looks pretty cool but I don't see where I can buy it (is it not out yet)?. I was thinking of running that with a tekin 1700 kv motor (run on 5s) or a mamba monster 2/2200kv. I also see castle is coming out with a monster x that is sensored but idk when it'll be out so I don't know if I would wait for it. Need some advice quick. I'm not racing competively just on a back yard track with friends and general bashing around. So I need some help deciding what to run.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapjack
I need advice... I am still trying to decide on a esc and motor for my et48 kit. I Have a castle mmm2 and 2200 in my other truck and it's been great I really wanted to try tekin out this time but I just don't like that it is not waterproof (I read the rx8 is hit and miss on quality is that actually true)?. All motors can get wet right? It's just the tekin esc that isn't waterproof? So if I find a waterproof sensored esc I could use that with a tekin t8? Is anybody using a viper vtx8 esc or have any good or bad experiences with them? It is sensored and waterproof and also looks pretty cool but I don't see where I can buy it (is it not out yet)?. I was thinking of running that with a tekin 1700 kv motor (run on 5s) or a mamba monster 2/2200kv. I also see castle is coming out with a monster x that is sensored but idk when it'll be out so I don't know if I would wait for it. Need some advice quick. I'm not racing competively just on a back yard track with friends and general bashing around. So I need some help deciding what to run.
I have a Viper VTX8 and I really like it. I also now have a Tekin RX8 Gen2 and I also love it (maybe a little more than the VTX8 because of the data logging feature). I think Viper is currently doing some rebranding or something right now. That may be why those ESCs are hard to find.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Ok so the vtx8 is just as good asthe rx8 (except it has no data logging)? That wouldn't really matter to me. But I like how the vtx8 is waterproof. So for my use, the vtx8 might be a better choice? Do U remember how much the vtx8 costs and did it fit it the et48 ok?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Ok so the vtx8 is just as good asthe rx8 (except it has no data logging)? That wouldn't really matter to me. But I like how the vtx8 is waterproof. So for my use, the vtx8 might be a better choice? Do U remember how much the vtx8 costs and did it fit it the et48 ok?
In my opinion, I think the VTX8 is about on par with the RX8. I think I paid about $200 for it new when I bought it about 2 years ago. It does sound like it would be a good ESC choice for you, if you can find one. The VTX8 fits fine in my EB48.2 so I assume it would be fine in the ET48.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The VTX8 is out of stock everywhere because they stopped production on them in preparation for the new version. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a time frame for when the new version is expected.

I have a VTX8 in my ET-48 but it is a tight fit with a truggy sized motor (about 2mm of room to spare). The Viper ESC has been completely trouble free for me in the almost 2 years that I have owned it. The programming card is the best there is since everything can be adjusted from it.

As for waterproofing, sensored motors can't get wet because the sensor board doesn't handle the water. Splashes won't bother the motor since the sensor board is well covered inside the motor but I wouldn't try river crossings.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Yea mainly I'm thinking about being able to clean the truck without removing te esc and hitting an occasional puddle. I am very impatient so I don't know if I'll be able to wait for the viper 8th scale esc or the monster x from castle. So I'm thinking unless I can did someone sellin a used one I'll end up choosing between the mamba monster 2 and the tekin setup. I really wish tekin would go waterproof.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yea mainly I'm thinking about being able to clean the truck without removing te esc and hitting an occasional puddle. I am very impatient so I don't know if I'll be able to wait for the viper 8th scale esc or the monster x from castle. So I'm thinking unless I can did someone sellin a used one I'll end up choosing between the mamba monster 2 and the tekin setup. I really wish tekin would go waterproof.
You can't make sensored systems waterproof.
Tekin systems are intended for racing and track driving. Not much demand for fully waterproof race electronics.
If your using the vehicle for bashing then a sesored system isn't necessary anyways. I'd just stick with the mm2 castle system if you've been happy with it in the past.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

That's true. So do racers never clean their trucks? Or do they just remove the esc ad motor when they do?

Last edited by Slapjack; 07-01-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

That's true. So do racers never clean their trucks? Or do they just remove the esc ad motor when they do?
Pretty much take the whole thing apart, clean it, put it back together after a race.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would never hose a rc down with water... Even the rigs I use to bash... Which have water proof electronics. Water gets into the bearings, and drivetrain, and makes things rusty.
I use a compressor, and an assortment of brushes.