Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MattDub
Welcome to the EB48.3 Wiki

What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

Springs:
Low Grip Track:
TKR8772 – Yellow Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8762 – Grey Low Frequency Front Springs

Low to Medium Grip Track:
TKR8773 – Orange Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8763 – Black Low Frequency Front Springs

Medium to High Grip Track:
TKR8774 - Red Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8764 - Pink Low Frequency Front Springs

TKR5199B – HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, EB/NB/ET/NT48/48.3) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Able to be on power earlier on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6017T (front)
-TKR6061T (rear)

This car is very durable. Here are the spare parts that I recommend you keep on hand:
TKR5020 – Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR6061T – Rear Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating and TKR6017T – Front Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating
TKR5286 – Front Suspension Arms and TKR5184 – Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5194 – Spindle Carriers
TKR6009 – Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Page 3 Step K-3
Put the screw in upside down so that the head of the screw is in the hex spot that's molded into the spindle. This will aid in clearance in full droop / full steering.

Page 12 Step I-2
Use no less than 4 shims on the steering spindle to limit steering throw. I actually just use one 2mm ball stud washer from my 10th scale stuff since each shim is .5mm.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here.

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I posted this in the electronics section and I'm not getting much feedback.

I just got my buggy up and running and this is my first time with the Tekin Hotwire setup. The car runs fine except it has no grunt down low and it takes a second or so to get going when it does.

I messed with the neutral width a bit but I don't know what will get me more grunt down low. I put the current limiter at 100 also. I just need a little schooling here.

I have a Dx4 pro and I changed the frame rate to 5.5 and I did re bind. (If that matters)

Here is my setup

Tekno eb48.3
Rx8
Tekin 1900kv
5000 mah 4s
HiTec 7950 servo
16T pinion

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jason07
I messed with the neutral width a bit but I don't know what will get me more grunt down low.

The neutral width has nothing to do with getting your motor to produce torque. It is used to adjust when throttle\brake engages past neutral on your throttle trigger. Playing with this and making the number too small can mess up engaging brake and even mess with the initial positive throttle engagement. I do not have my buggy or Hot Wire in front of me but I believe for my M12S I settled on a setting of 9. At this setting my brake and reverse engages cleanly and the on throttle engagement was clean with out any odd hesitation. I had reduced the number to like 5 and reverse would usually not engage and had an odd hesitation just past neutral going into forward.

I put the current limiter at 100 also. I just need a little schooling here.

This setting does exactly what it sounds like, reduces the max amount of amps allowed to be put through the ESC. For most situations less is more, sounds odd but reducing power output can make the buggy easier to drive and be consistent and with your setup you should not be lacking any power. I have my current limiter set to 80 on my 2S setup and I am not lacking any grunt from a dead stop or out of the corners. On 4S you should be pulling pretty damn hard from a dead stop right to top speed.

I have a Dx4 pro and I changed the frame rate to 5.5 and I did re bind. (If that matters)

Never used Spektrum equipment but I am guessing this is just a setting to set how many packets of information is being sent and received in a given time frame. This should have no effect on acceleration.

Here is my setup

Tekno eb48.3
Rx8
Tekin 1900kv
5000 mah 4s
HiTec 7950 servo
16T pinion

I don't run my buggy 4S, it is used on a small indoor clay track and is limited to 2S but what I have seen from others posting here, you should be using a pinion closer to 18 tooth with your setup and motor KV. I am sure Justpoet or some others will give you more specific advice so hold tight, they have a ton of experience on this chassis running 4S and I bet a couple even use Spektrum.

One other thing to test is your drive train being smooth and free of any odd friction. Remove the wheels and the pinion, place the car on a stand and test how smoothly the entire drive train rotates. Mine is butter smooth, as smooth as can be expected from the high drag rate of a 4 wheel drive buggy with three silicone filled diffs. Any odd friction will be pretty apparent.

Last edited by Fasttrak; 12-09-2015 at 11:37 PM. Reason: One other thought:
Old 12-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Fasttrak
The neutral width has nothing to do with getting your motor to produce torque. It is used to adjust when throttle\brake engages past neutral on your throttle trigger. Playing with this and making the number too small can mess up engaging brake and even mess with the initial positive throttle engagement. I do not have my buggy or Hot Wire in front of me but I believe for my M12S I settled on a setting of 9. At this setting my brake and reverse engages cleanly and the on throttle engagement was clean with out any odd hesitation. I had reduced the number to like 5 and reverse would usually not engage and had an odd hesitation just past neutral going into forward.

This setting does exactly what it sounds like, reduces the max amount of amps allowed to be put through the ESC. For most situations less is more, sounds odd but reducing power output can make the buggy easier to drive and be consistent and with your setup you should not be lacking any power. I have my current limiter set to 80 on my 2S setup and I am not lacking any grunt from a dead stop or out of the corners. On 4S you should be pulling pretty damn hard from a dead stop right to top speed.

Never used Spektrum equipment but I am guessing this is just a setting to set how many packets of information is being sent and received in a given time frame. This should have no effect on acceleration.

I don't run my buggy 4S, it is used on a small indoor clay track and is limited to 2S but what I have seen from others posting here, you should be using a pinion closer to 18 tooth with your setup and motor KV. I am sure Justpoet or some others will give you more specific advice so hold tight, they have a ton of experience on this chassis running 4S and I bet a couple even use Spektrum.
That's awesome information. I originally wanted an 18T pinion but the track manager said most people run a 16T. I will try it at the track tomorrow and see how it does. I can always buy an 17 or 18 and try it there.

I forgot to add that I can decrease the throttle expo to -20 and it has more "punch" off the line, but I would rather not do it like that. It does sound like I need a bigger pinion.

I knew what the current limiter was I just mentioned it so I could help anyone diagnose my setting dilemma. I will change it back to 80 or so before I drive it on the track.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by R1Joel
Enjoying everything except the rod ends. They will be the death of me.
i didn't enjoy the rod end either.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

It's always fun to have the newest and the best but I seriously doubt that if you had both the .2 and the .3 set up exactly and ran them back-to-back it would buy you any lower track times. My experiences so far running the 1/8th scale buggy against guys who are running chassis going back two and three generations of Mugen, Tekno and a few others is this, the fast guys are very good at chassis setup and are very good consistent drivers. If I was you I would not waste my money, I would buy more tires and batteries and spend more time perfecting your chassis setup and your driving skills.
Always an arguable point and personal preference. The .1 and .2 were very good vehicles, but the .3 took it to a new level. Joe's Wicked Weekend setup is a great starting point, and I've tuned the .3 to the point where I have no doubt I am pushing it faster and harder with more stability than I had in some of my best setups for the .2. It's a nobrainer for me.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice of how happy you are, what financial situation you're in, and if it's logical to upgrade or sell and buy new.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

That's awesome information. I originally wanted an 18T pinion but the track manager said most people run a 16T. I will try it at the track tomorrow and see how it does. I can always buy an 17 or 18 and try it there.

I forgot to add that I can decrease the throttle expo to -20 and it has more "punch" off the line, but I would rather not do it like that. It does sound like I need a bigger pinion.

I knew what the current limiter was I just mentioned it so I could help anyone diagnose my setting dilemma. I will change it back to 80 or so before I drive it on the track.
The info on expo is odd ... the more negative expo you have , the more delay you have. -5 should "hit harder" and much sooner than -20 .

If I were helping you at the track ,

we would reset the model on your radio.

get a 18 or 19 pinion

reset the rx8

re bind the rx8

set the Current limiter to 50%

and run the car. It should rip with those settings .... I think you may have gotten a bit lost in your changes and should start over tbh.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I posted this in the electronics section and I'm not getting much feedback.

I just got my buggy up and running and this is my first time with the Tekin Hotwire setup. The car runs fine except it has no grunt down low and it takes a second or so to get going when it does.

I messed with the neutral width a bit but I don't know what will get me more grunt down low. I put the current limiter at 100 also. I just need a little schooling here.

Here is my setup

Tekno eb48.3
Rx8
Tekin 1900kv
5000 mah 4s
HiTec 7950 servo
16T pinion

Also check your TH Punch on your Spektrum radio, this setting may be at odds with what you're trying to achieve with the ESC.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Ok guys, I'll be honest with you on this deal.......I'm a dumbass.

When I was playing with the controller I inadvertently switched on the traction control. As soon as I turned it off, the car worked as usual.

Thanks for everyone's help. I learned some valuable info except none of it helped my dumbass. lol
Old 12-10-2015, 04:10 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ha, thats funny, sounds like it is something I would do!
Glad to know the TC works. I never felt much of a difference with that feature on my DX3R Pro.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It's always fun to have the newest and the best but I seriously doubt that if you had both the .2 and the .3 set up exactly and ran them back-to-back it would buy you any lower track times. My experiences so far running the 1/8th scale buggy against guys who are running chassis going back two and three generations of Mugen, Tekno and a few others is this, the fast guys are very good at chassis setup and are very good consistent drivers. If I was you I would not waste my money, I would buy more tires and batteries and spend more time perfecting your chassis setup and your driving skills.
For the original EB48 to the EB48.2 I would agree with you. However the EB48.3 is quite drastically different for suspension geometry and is FAR more capable in almost all situations. I can push it harder while staying more stable and cut significant amounts off of my lap times with the EB48.3 compared to the older EB48.2, and I can also land things that I couldn't do safely with the old vehicle as well.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justpoet
For the original EB48 to the EB48.2 I would agree with you. However the EB48.3 is quite drastically different for suspension geometry and is FAR more capable in almost all situations. I can push it harder while staying more stable and cut significant amounts off of my lap times with the EB48.3 compared to the older EB48.2, and I can also land things that I couldn't do safely with the old vehicle as well.
You all getting me pumped. Money race this weekend. EB48.3 built and setuped this week. Probably not good running a new car, but still. Just got body painted today - rush job - gotta run stock body. Looks like my other bodies won't get here by tomorrow. Usps sucks when u need them...lol. I'm getting pumped. Ready to see what this bug will do.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Sounds very good! I will be racing the .3 for the first time this weekend!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ran into a little problem today while building. When I push the front arms down (Shocks not built yet) the screw the holds the rod end on hits the arms. What can I do? Or what did I do wrong?

Old 12-11-2015, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

are you sure that you will have so much droop ? try to put a shock to check the max droop you can actually get

If it still rub, cut some plastic out ! I did it on my mugen mbx7r eco to have maximum steering
Old 12-11-2015, 03:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R1Joel
Ran into a little problem today while building. When I push the front arms down (Shocks not built yet) the screw the holds the rod end on hits the arms. What can I do? Or what did I do wrong?

Normally, when you set the droop, the screw won't run. What some are doing and I did on this last build is turn the screw upside down so the nut and threads are on top. If you have extra washers, you could also add more washers up top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.