R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MattDub
Welcome to the EB48.3 Wiki

What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

Springs:
Low Grip Track:
TKR8772 Yellow Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8762 Grey Low Frequency Front Springs

Low to Medium Grip Track:
TKR8773 Orange Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8763 Black Low Frequency Front Springs

Medium to High Grip Track:
TKR8774 - Red Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8764 - Pink Low Frequency Front Springs

TKR5199B HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, EB/NB/ET/NT48/48.3) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Able to be on power earlier on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6017T (front)
-TKR6061T (rear)

This car is very durable. Here are the spare parts that I recommend you keep on hand:
TKR5020 Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR6061T Rear Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating and TKR6017T Front Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating
TKR5286 Front Suspension Arms and TKR5184 Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5194 Spindle Carriers
TKR6009 Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Page 3 Step K-3
Put the screw in upside down so that the head of the screw is in the hex spot that's molded into the spindle. This will aid in clearance in full droop / full steering.

Page 12 Step I-2
Use no less than 4 shims on the steering spindle to limit steering throw. I actually just use one 2mm ball stud washer from my 10th scale stuff since each shim is .5mm.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here.

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #376
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That wrench is on my wish list... come on payday !!!

Tekno SCT410.3 / Tekin RX8 Gen3 / Tekin Pro-4 HD 4300 / Savox 1268 servo / Spectrum DX5R
lowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #377
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Stock setup has no washers between ball and rack. Use the extra washers on the other end of the ball to keep the screw from rubbing the underside of the top plate and as a convenient place to keep them for when you want to change the bump steer.

Ok, that makes sense as they have both ends with the washers floating at the opposite end that makes any mechanical changes. Thanks for that!

I have not looked up any actual setup sheets, what is typical washer count on the inside and outside for the steering arms?
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Ok, that makes sense as they have both ends with the washers floating at the opposite end that makes any mechanical changes. Thanks for that!

I have not looked up any actual setup sheets, what is typical washer count on the inside and outside for the steering arms?
Depends on the track. Lower bite most use less washers. But it depends on the steering feel you're trying to get.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #379
Tech Regular

Quote:
Depends on the track. Lower bite most use less washers. But it depends on the steering feel you're trying to get.
Sounds good, like most vehicles this is going to be a track specific and driving style adjustment. I added one washer on both ends and left the other three under the ball. With a couple hours each night I have the chassis complete up to building the shocks, going along smoothly and looking good. You gotta love that in-line drive shaft setup, it just looks proper.

Being that I am at the shock build and this kit offers two different setups, I am curious what the advantages and disadvantages are to each type of shock build? What did most folks opt for, vented or emulsion build?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #380
Tech Elite

Quote:
Sounds good, like most vehicles this is going to be a track specific and driving style adjustment. I added one washer on both ends and left the other three under the ball. With a couple hours each night I have the chassis complete up to building the shocks, going along smoothly and looking good. You gotta love that in-line drive shaft setup, it just looks proper.

Being that I am at the shock build and this kit offers two different setups, I am curious what the advantages and disadvantages are to each type of shock build? What did most folks opt for, vented or emulsion build?
Acuallt there are 3 options. Emulsion, vented bladder and non vented bladder. I opted for vented bladder mainly because I find it easier to set rebound consistently between shocks. I know some of the other guys have tried emulsion I'm sure they will give their experiences.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #381
Tech Elite

In case anyone is thinking of trying it, the losi electric clutch fits perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread-20150925_081644.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #382
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Are they going to have carbon fiber towers for the .3? or do they have them already and I cant find them?
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #383
MOE
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Stupid question but, does it take a specific brand clutch bell?
Dialed-Rc Hobbies
Advantage Racing Products
MOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #384
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
Are they going to have carbon fiber towers for the .3? or do they have them already and I cant find them?
The newest carbon towers out are for the SCT410.3 & EB48SL which are different than the truggy towers on the EB48.3
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #385
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOE View Post
Stupid question but, does it take a specific brand clutch bell?
You might be able to make it work with a different brand but I used losi. The Tekno clutch bells for the nitro car are the same style as losi but this is the only one I could find in an 18t.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #386
MOE
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks for the info, curious how this system works on an electric car. Never seen anyone run one.
Dialed-Rc Hobbies
Advantage Racing Products
MOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #387
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
There are currently no plans to offer the towers in carbon fiber. Your best bet would be to email Xtreme Racing and request them to make some.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #388
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOE View Post
Thanks for the info, curious how this system works on an electric car. Never seen anyone run one.
I used to run the Tekno version on my original eb48 and it worked great. Made the car easier to drive on low bite. Smooths out the low end punch. You can use different springs and shoes to tune it.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #389
Tech Regular

Quote:
You might be able to make it work with a different brand but I used losi. The Tekno clutch bells for the nitro car are the same style as losi but this is the only one I could find in an 18t.
I am real curious the advantage to running the nitro style clutch on an electric buggy? Is it that the drive line is disengaged quickly to help rotate through tighter corners? Never even realized that was being done on the electric side of the industry.

/poke rcgod Menthol Camels?

Last edited by Fasttrak; 09-25-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #390
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am real curious the advantage to running the nitro style clutch on an electric buggy? Is it that the drive line is disengaged quickly to help rotate through tighter corners? Never even realized that was being done on the electric side of the industry.

/poke rcgod Menthol Camels?
The original Tekno traktion drive you could run as a nitro style clutch but you had to use mechanical brakes and 2nd servo. You could also configure it as a slipper, which is how the losi is made to work. Instead of the springs pulling the shoes in, they push them out in constant contact with the clutch bell. The harder the spring the harder they are pushed against the clutch bell and less slippage. Just smoothes out the buggy in acceleration and a little in braking. It's a nice tuning option to have.