R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MattDub
Welcome to the EB48.3 Wiki

What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

Springs:
Low Grip Track:
TKR8772 Yellow Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8762 Grey Low Frequency Front Springs

Low to Medium Grip Track:
TKR8773 Orange Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8763 Black Low Frequency Front Springs

Medium to High Grip Track:
TKR8774 - Red Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8764 - Pink Low Frequency Front Springs

TKR5199B HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, EB/NB/ET/NT48/48.3) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Able to be on power earlier on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6017T (front)
-TKR6061T (rear)

This car is very durable. Here are the spare parts that I recommend you keep on hand:
TKR5020 Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR6061T Rear Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating and TKR6017T Front Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating
TKR5286 Front Suspension Arms and TKR5184 Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5194 Spindle Carriers
TKR6009 Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Page 3 Step K-3
Put the screw in upside down so that the head of the screw is in the hex spot that's molded into the spindle. This will aid in clearance in full droop / full steering.

Page 12 Step I-2
Use no less than 4 shims on the steering spindle to limit steering throw. I actually just use one 2mm ball stud washer from my 10th scale stuff since each shim is .5mm.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here.

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #2026
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
Hey do me a favor, tear your car apart and rebuild it. Just to ensure everything is smooth, no binding, nothing mechanically wrong.

Important points to note:
- Ensure you have 4 washers behind the steering spindle to limit steering throw mechanically. I use 1 2mm washer, which is the total of the 4 washers
- Build the car with pistons taper up. I made the mistake of running taper down and the car was a hand full to drive.
- do the arm mod (all that's required is a dremel and about 10 min of your time) to increase the car's handling on big bumps and jumps.
- If you're NOT using PT Brand oils, let me know what oils you are using. If possible, you want to switch to those oils so that you're on the same page as the rest of the team. PT oils are considerably thinner.

Then put this setup on your car.

http://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/up...ern%20Nats.pdf

Also if you could post a pic / video of your track, that would help.

It may seem like a lot of work, but trust me, you'll be amazingly happy. Feel free to message me directly if you need help with something.
I'm using associated oils. What's the arm Mod ?
weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #2027
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
I'm using associated oils. What's the arm Mod ?
Arm mod is detailed here. It is well worth doing! https://youtu.be/GT2AdfBfM6M
MX304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #2028
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetburner View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uzcucwqch...essed.pdf?dl=0 . This is the tekno setup guide . Its 1.17 mb so its too big to post on here as a pdf. So this is the link to my dropbox.
Thanks Carpetburner. Thats exactly what i was looking for.
Where did you find it on the Tekno website?
GreenMachine14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #2029
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine14 View Post
Thanks Carpetburner. Thats exactly what i was looking for.
Where did you find it on the Tekno website?
It's not on the website. Someone leaked it a while back, but it was never officially released by Tekno.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #2030
Tech Rookie

It's a great setup guide.
I would think they would want there customers to have and use it.
I was trying to find it for a friend.
I used it to setup my EB48.3 and love i the way it handles.
GreenMachine14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #2031
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
The Wicked Weekend setup was early on in the .3 car. I think his setup evolved greatly from there. Remember in the WW setup, he was using 6 hole pistons (which we never use anymore) and the .2 shock towers (which we don't use any more).

I found his Southern Nats setup to be a bit more user friendly. And after speaking with Joe, he uses his SN setup as his starting point for both EB and NB. This is clearly evident when you look at his latest setup from AMS. It's very very close. 25cst thicker oil, slightly lower ride height and droop, litle less anti squat, one step thinner front sway bar. All the links, shock positions, diffs, pistons, etc. are all the same.

If you haven't tried yet, I highly suggest it.
Thanks Bob, I will definitely try that setup, I was actually using the nb48.3 setup which had 4x1.8 pistons and I'm assuming .3 towers? The car was very good and I was pleased with its performance, although like I said it was about 90%. I will put the SN setup on it and see how goes, it may be what I'm looking for. Thanks again
mxrcracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #2032
Tech Elite

Old 08-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #2033
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrcracer23 View Post
Thanks Bob, I will definitely try that setup, I was actually using the nb48.3 setup which had 4x1.8 pistons and I'm assuming .3 towers? The car was very good and I was pleased with its performance, although like I said it was about 90%. I will put the SN setup on it and see how goes, it may be what I'm looking for. Thanks again
He runs the exact same setup on NB (as do I) except uses the short rear brace vs no rear brace. Try it!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #2034
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Guys that Tekno setup guide was never released for to the public. It was leaked out a long time ago, such is the internet world. The reason it wasn't released was that it hadn't gone through final proofing for typos, stuff like that, AND that it's not based on the .3 generation cars and geometry.

Please keep that in mind when you utilize it. It is a very good source of info, but just remember that the version that was out there was not an official Tekno RC release.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #2035
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
He runs the exact same setup on NB (as do I) except uses the short rear brace vs no rear brace. Try it!
Will do!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #2036
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last edited by Rufus2010; 08-09-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Rufus2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #2037
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=Bob Barry
- Build the car with pistons taper up. I made the mistake of running taper down and the car was a hand full to drive.
- do the arm mod (all that's required is a dremel and about 10 min of your time) to increase the car's handling on big bumps and jumps.

Is the putting the taper up what you generally do on all different size pistons or just certain sizes? Also, is the arm mod done on all 4 corners or just the rear?
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #2038
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=mxrcracer23;14630138][QUOTE=Bob Barry

Is the putting the taper up what you generally do on all different size pistons or just certain sizes? Also, is the arm mod done on all 4 corners or just the rear?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Taper up always, all four corners.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #2039
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are the pros doing the arm mod? Just curious. It seems Tekno would come out with the option for the modified arms especially if the team/pros are doing it.
qstorm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #2040
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just so I'm crystal clear. The arm mod is the cutting away of the plastic that he explains in the video...not the reaming of the arms , correct ?
This area ?
weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote