R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: MattDub
Welcome to the EB48.3 Wiki


What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

Springs:
Low Grip Track:
TKR8772 Yellow Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8762 Grey Low Frequency Front Springs

Low to Medium Grip Track:
TKR8773 Orange Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8763 Black Low Frequency Front Springs

Medium to High Grip Track:
TKR8774 - Red Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8764 - Pink Low Frequency Front Springs

TKR5199B HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, EB/NB/ET/NT48/48.3) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Able to be on power earlier on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6017T (front)
-TKR6061T (rear)

This car is very durable. Here are the spare parts that I recommend you keep on hand:
TKR5020 Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR6061T Rear Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating and TKR6017T Front Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating
TKR5286 Front Suspension Arms and TKR5184 Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5194 Spindle Carriers
TKR6009 Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Page 3 Step K-3
Put the screw in upside down so that the head of the screw is in the hex spot that's molded into the spindle. This will aid in clearance in full droop / full steering.

Page 12 Step I-2
Use no less than 4 shims on the steering spindle to limit steering throw. I actually just use one 2mm ball stud washer from my 10th scale stuff since each shim is .5mm.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here.

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #931
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N Cal
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason07 View Post
It is the EB48.3

I played with the limit screws also, I just can't get the number. Its sitting at about 105 on the front now.
Was the buggy purchased new? I ask because the stock shocks on the 48.3 can easily go well past those Lutz setup numbers with the set screws for droop screwed all the way in.

If you built the kit from new, than you have some kind of build problem with either the set screws in the a-arms or a build problem with the shocks. Take a front and a rear shock off the mounts and measure their length fully extended, you should have something well past the 119.5 and 134.5 that Lutz has on the setup sheet, I do not recall the shock length and not going to remove to find out. If the shocks are not that long than you have a shock package from another kit.

The only other area to check is how you threaded the set screws into the a-arms. See that you have the set screw pulled all the way up giving the most amount of droop, see if anything is obstructing the movement of the a-arms.

Report back..
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 AM   #932
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,110
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason07 View Post
It is the EB48.3

I played with the limit screws also, I just can't get the number. Its sitting at about 105 on the front now.
Shock length, unless I'm misreading your post, is a static measurement wih no load on the shock. In other words, you don't measure it with the car sitting with weight on wheels. It's not the same as setting shock preload and chassis ride height with your spring shock collars.

Reason I say this is that you mention you tried different springs to get the right shock length. That would indicate to me you were interpreting shock length as preload. I may be way off on this and I don't mean to sound like I'm stating the obvious, just thought this may help you understand better.

Also, if this helps clarify, I measure shock length always with the shocks off the car and after every rebuild or fluid change.
__________________
Aaron Moore

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #933
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Medina, OH
Posts: 71
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Anyone have a picture of one of these on corner weight scales ?
This is a pic of my 48.2 that I just upgraded to a .3.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread-smalleb48.jpg  

Last edited by jjl1; 12-16-2015 at 08:01 AM.
jjl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #934
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kingsport, TN (Still SC tho)
Posts: 839
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason07 View Post
It is the EB48.3

I played with the limit screws also, I just can't get the number. Its sitting at about 105 on the front now.
Any pics? Do the arms move freely with no shocks attached? I'm running Joe's setup which I believe has more droop then Lutz's and I'm not having any problems. I measure my shock length with car on a stand, shocks attached and no wheels from eye (middle) of shock tower mounting screw to eye (middle) of arm shock mounting screw. They both have dimples for calipers to kind of set in. I use the droop screws to adjust the shock length.
qstorm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #935
Tech Master
 
Matthew_Armeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,438
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
Shock length, unless I'm misreading your post, is a static measurement wih no load on the shock. In other words, you don't measure it with the car sitting with weight on wheels. It's not the same as setting shock preload and chassis ride height with your spring shock collars.

Reason I say this is that you mention you tried different springs to get the right shock length. That would indicate to me you were interpreting shock length as preload. I may be way off on this and I don't mean to sound like I'm stating the obvious, just thought this may help you understand better.

Also, if this helps clarify, I measure shock length always with the shocks off the car and after every rebuild or fluid change.
I read his post the same way.
__________________
Tekno RC
Matthew_Armeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #936
Tech Master
 
wittyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,888
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

edit: ignore me ....
__________________
Josh W.

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....

Last edited by wittyname; 12-16-2015 at 09:52 AM.
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #937
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,453
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Does anyone have a pic of one of these on scales ? Or know the cross weights ?
3 post up someone posted a pic of a.2 upgraded to a.3
__________________
If you build it I will break it!
EB48.4 - B6 - B64 - TC7.1 - F6
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #938
Tech Adept
 
jason07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 221
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Was the buggy purchased new? I ask because the stock shocks on the 48.3 can easily go well past those Lutz setup numbers with the set screws for droop screwed all the way in.

If you built the kit from new, than you have some kind of build problem with either the set screws in the a-arms or a build problem with the shocks. Take a front and a rear shock off the mounts and measure their length fully extended, you should have something well past the 119.5 and 134.5 that Lutz has on the setup sheet, I do not recall the shock length and not going to remove to find out. If the shocks are not that long than you have a shock package from another kit.

The only other area to check is how you threaded the set screws into the a-arms. See that you have the set screw pulled all the way up giving the most amount of droop, see if anything is obstructing the movement of the a-arms.

Report back..
This was in fact a brand new kit. I just built it last week.

I did in fact screw the droop screws all the way in and I still had no luck. I will get the car out soon and take some measurements with corresponding pictures and see what you all think.
__________________
Agama A215E Hobbywing 1900KV and Xerun XR8
Agama A215 Bullitt B221
jason07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #939
Tech Elite
 
justpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NH, USA
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

I had a spare set of EB48.2 rear shocks (which are the same as EB48.3 front shocks) and I get 120.5 for length off of the vehicle and fully extended, from center of eyelet to center of eyelet. I screw things in extremely tight (shock cap, eyelet, and cartridge...and I mean take a full size crescent wrench to it and crank on it kind of tight), so if anything mine might be slightly shorter than some others.

One thing I will note though, is that with your mention of 15-20 short I think you may have the EB48.2 shocks (without looking, of course), which are also the same as the SCT410.3 or EB48SL shocks. My front measures to 105 on my EB48.2, but 120 on my EB48.3, as they're sitting on my shelf right now with my setups on them (which both have mostly full droop on the front).

Please measure the shock body length and the shaft length, as those should make it obvious where the issue is.
__________________
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Tekin, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #940
Tech Adept
 
jason07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 221
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Ok guys here are the pics. Maybe I did build the shocks wrong?? I guess I don't know how, the shock shafts and bodies are only so long to begin with. It seems as thought the shock shaft is extending all the way out. I'm open to suggestions. I'm stumped.

I have 3 pics (these are the front shocks) I have the same issue with the rear, but at least they're longer than 120 but I can't get them to 134 like I need.

One pic has the collar all the way up

One pic has the collar all the way down

The last pic has the shock extended all the way on the table, it is just a hare past 120mm




__________________
Agama A215E Hobbywing 1900KV and Xerun XR8
Agama A215 Bullitt B221
jason07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #941
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kingsport, TN (Still SC tho)
Posts: 839
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

In the first two pictures, it looks like you are measuring the shock length with them loaded. If you put the car on a stand and then measure the shock length, what do you get?
qstorm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #942
Tech Adept
 
jason07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 221
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qstorm777 View Post
In the first two pictures, it looks like you are measuring the shock length with them loaded. If you put the car on a stand and then measure the shock length, what do you get?
I get about 124. How do I shorten the shocks with the car on a stand? There's no resistance on the collars to regulate the length
__________________
Agama A215E Hobbywing 1900KV and Xerun XR8
Agama A215 Bullitt B221
jason07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #943
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kingsport, TN (Still SC tho)
Posts: 839
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason07 View Post
I get about 124. How do I shorten the shocks with the car on a stand? There's no resistance on the collars to regulate the length
With the droop screws with car still on stand. The arms will eventually start to raise so you can get the shock length you are looking for.

Use the collars to get ride height.
qstorm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #944
Tech Adept
 
jason07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 221
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qstorm777 View Post
With the droop screws with car still on stand. The arms will eventually start to raise so you can get the shock length you are looking for.

Use the collars to get ride height.
LOL I'm an idiot!
__________________
Agama A215E Hobbywing 1900KV and Xerun XR8
Agama A215 Bullitt B221
jason07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #945
Tech Elite
 
justpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NH, USA
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Nah, just not familiar with all the terminology and methods yet. Glad we managed to get it sorted out for you!
__________________
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Tekin, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:23 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net