Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MattDub
Welcome to the EB48.3 Wiki

What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

Springs:
Low Grip Track:
TKR8772 – Yellow Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8762 – Grey Low Frequency Front Springs

Low to Medium Grip Track:
TKR8773 – Orange Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8763 – Black Low Frequency Front Springs

Medium to High Grip Track:
TKR8774 - Red Low Frequency Rear Springs and TKR8764 - Pink Low Frequency Front Springs

TKR5199B – HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, EB/NB/ET/NT48/48.3) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Able to be on power earlier on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6017T (front)
-TKR6061T (rear)

This car is very durable. Here are the spare parts that I recommend you keep on hand:
TKR5020 – Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR6061T – Rear Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating and TKR6017T – Front Shock Shafts w/ TiNi Coating
TKR5286 – Front Suspension Arms and TKR5184 – Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5194 – Spindle Carriers
TKR6009 – Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Page 3 Step K-3
Put the screw in upside down so that the head of the screw is in the hex spot that's molded into the spindle. This will aid in clearance in full droop / full steering.

Page 12 Step I-2
Use no less than 4 shims on the steering spindle to limit steering throw. I actually just use one 2mm ball stud washer from my 10th scale stuff since each shim is .5mm.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here.

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
All fixed.
Nice TY
Old 11-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Just grabbed .3 kits (eb,et,sct) are there any part issues still drive shafts etc to worry about or is all that fixed? I'm not going to be able to race these kits until Rama in Feb so I'd like to get ahead of issues so I can have Fun racing at the event. TY Several guys were having issues w/ shafts at the end of the summer locally, only reason I'm asking.
No issues, and I'll see you at Rama.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Which Joe B. Setup is everyone loving. The nitro or ebuggy from the wicked weekend race. I see the ebuggy one has different pistons and in his notes says, old buggy towers.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shark2288
Which Joe B. Setup is everyone loving. The nitro or ebuggy from the wicked weekend race. I see the ebuggy one has different pistons and in his notes says, old buggy towers.
NB on the NB and EB.

http://www.teknorc.com/tekno5/wp-con...0Bumpy_Dry.pdf
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RokleM
Interesting. Not the Bornhorst set up I run. I run an eb48.3 one using the standard towers and 6x1.6 pistons.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RokleM
Originally Posted by wrightcs77
Interesting. Not the Bornhorst set up I run. I run an eb48.3 one using the standard towers and 6x1.6 pistons.
Eric is correct, the setup we have been referring to is Joe Bornhorst's NB buggy setup, used on both vehicles.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

What are everybody's favorite wheels? I like the DE racing speedlines for my sct410.3. does anybody run the proline tires pre-mounted on the velocity V2 wheels?
Old 11-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ruffdog1
What are everybody's favorite wheels? I like the DE racing speedlines for my sct410.3. does anybody run the proline tires pre-mounted on the velocity V2 wheels?
I've had great luck with the avid and have probably hundreds. Never cracked, stripped, or otherwise. I've cracked or broken nearly every other brand at some point (often cool weather).
Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, new to the forum here and have a EB48.3 kit I have built up, I have ordered servo, rx, and wheels but I am really undecided on the rest of my electronics, Tekin, Castle, Hobbywing sensored/programmable. Im not really looking to race(I live in seattle dont know of any 1/8 buggy classes near by) but I enjoy seatac offroad and my local park mayhem sessions. I may race one day but dont have alot of free time(newborn baby girl). Any recommendations and a good overall motor and esc for my scenario? Price doesnt matter much as long as I get a deal. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

If anyone is interested I have an extra new set of 4 kyosho universals already drilled for the tekno hex pin. Pm me if interested.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ruffdog1
Proline pre-mount have a bad habit of not staying glued up very well. AKA and Sweep make the best pre-mounts IMHO. If I want to run Proline tires I glue them up myself.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JOELD
Hey guys, new to the forum here and have a EB48.3 kit I have built up, I have ordered servo, rx, and wheels but I am really undecided on the rest of my electronics, Tekin, Castle, Hobbywing sensored/programmable. Im not really looking to race(I live in seattle dont know of any 1/8 buggy classes near by) but I enjoy seatac offroad and my local park mayhem sessions. I may race one day but dont have alot of free time(newborn baby girl). Any recommendations and a good overall motor and esc for my scenario? Price doesnt matter much as long as I get a deal. Thanks!
The closest 1/8 scale track to you is Marysville and is called j&s raceway. I run my EB48 there. There is also another track in Burlington. You can practice at Tacoma RC but there isn't normally enough 1/8 scales to race. I use the tekin Rx 8 esc and have had great success with it. I know allot of guys on here use hw with great success too. The have never tried them. From what I have seen most at the track have moved on from castle. I believe they do offer waterproof escs if that is important to you.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOELD
My only comment on this that is seriously important is to avoid the Castle ESCs. They're over-rated and often have heat issues if run for extended periods of time, except for maybe the mamba monster, which is quite bad for racing, but quite good at simply putting down power. With all Castle ESCs though, expect to need to also buy an external BEC (surprisingly, Castle makes a pretty good one).

If you want inexpensive and decent, pick up a HobbyWing SCT Pro ESC.
If you want semi-expensive and better, but larger and heavier, get the HobbyWing XR8.
If you want the most adjustability and most commonly used setup, get the Tekin RX8 Gen2.
If you want to spend a lot, get the Orion 8th scale ESC.
All but the HobbyWing SCT Pro in that list should be able to do HV (7.2) on the BEC to run current servos at their full specs.

For motors, Tekin or SMC for racing in the 1900kv variety are the ticket if you're going to run on 4s (as is required by many races and venues). Hobbywing also makes a motor, but I've found it generally runs a bit hotter, and is no less expensive than the SMC. Other motor makes exist, but here in the US are not really going to be any less expensive or better. Tekin sells the RX8 Gen2 and T8 Gen2 motors as a combo. Hobbywing sells their ESC/Motor as a combo too.

I personally like the Tekin RX8 Gen2 the best, and both the SMC and Tekin motors (I run them both, depending on vehicle).

Of note, my recommendations are mainly for racing. That being said, if you want a waterproof ESC, HobbyWing makes a waterproof sport version of their 8th scale ESC that should serve well. Sensored ability is important in racing, but not so much in bashing (low speed and braking are both a lot better with a sensored setup).
Old 11-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justpoet
My only comment on this that is seriously important is to avoid the Castle ESCs. They're over-rated and often have heat issues if run for extended periods of time, except for maybe the mamba monster, which is quite bad for racing, but quite good at simply putting down power. With all Castle ESCs though, expect to need to also buy an external BEC (surprisingly, Castle makes a pretty good one).

If you want inexpensive and decent, pick up a HobbyWing SCT Pro ESC.
If you want semi-expensive and better, but larger and heavier, get the HobbyWing XR8.
If you want the most adjustability and most commonly used setup, get the Tekin RX8 Gen2.
If you want to spend a lot, get the Orion 8th scale ESC.
All but the HobbyWing SCT Pro in that list should be able to do HV (7.2) on the BEC to run current servos at their full specs.

For motors, Tekin or SMC for racing in the 1900kv variety are the ticket if you're going to run on 4s (as is required by many races and venues). Hobbywing also makes a motor, but I've found it generally runs a bit hotter, and is no less expensive than the SMC. Other motor makes exist, but here in the US are not really going to be any less expensive or better. Tekin sells the RX8 Gen2 and T8 Gen2 motors as a combo. Hobbywing sells their ESC/Motor as a combo too.

I personally like the Tekin RX8 Gen2 the best, and both the SMC and Tekin motors (I run them both, depending on vehicle).

Of note, my recommendations are mainly for racing. That being said, if you want a waterproof ESC, HobbyWing makes a waterproof sport version of their 8th scale ESC that should serve well. Sensored ability is important in racing, but not so much in bashing (low speed and braking are both a lot better with a sensored setup).
I'll would mostly agree, except the new castle mamba monster x is sensored and waterproof, has good bec for hv servos. Good reviews so far that I have read.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Initiate

I just got done building my buggy last night. It went surprisingly fast. It was a nice build. I have to pick wheels and tires now. I'm going with the tekin motor and esc combo. What size pinion gear would be good?

Last edited by EricM; 11-08-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: More info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.