Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

My 4 gear SC5M overall handles and drives better than my 3 gear B5MFL and T5M. Better acceleration traction and more rear grip while cornering
Old 02-16-2016, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The SC5M has tons of traction already so with the 4 gear it will get even more traction so that makes sense. Have you tried putting the 4 gear in your buggy just so you can see the difference?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mxer210
The SC5M has tons of traction already so with the 4 gear it will get even more traction so that makes sense. Have you tried putting the 4 gear in your buggy just so you can see the difference?
I'm going to try it this weekend
Old 02-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default my setup sheet - indoor clay

based on Cav's ROAR Nationals setup, with a higher ride height, here is my setup sheet - I think it is a good starting point for indoor damp clay. Will be trying lower ride heights, currently at 28/26

the truck is easy to drive and alot of fun!

-Harry

Team Associated SC5M Thread-img_1049.jpg
Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Default Bodies By Ed Razor for SC5M

Is anyone running it in short course racing? Pro's\Con's?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default best out of the box?

Not sure who might agree...

Out of all the dozens of kits I've built over the years, the SC5m is the best "build out of the box" experience I've had. By this I mean, build to the manual, with the kit setup, and it's 90% competitive as it sits.

Yeah, you can change out the front spring from white to gray, go up or down half weight in oil, message a few things here or there, but it's pretty solid out of the box.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by celt

Out of all the dozens of kits I've built over the years, the SC5m is the best "build out of the box" experience I've had. By this I mean, build to the manual, with the kit setup, and it's 90% competitive as it sits.

Yeah, you can change out the front spring from white to gray, go up or down half weight in oil, message a few things here or there, but it's pretty solid out of the box.
Agreed. Associated really nailed it with their 5-Series. the b5m is equally as dialed. Looking forward to what they come up with for their new 4wd 1/10th scale buggy.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt

Works GREAT on sealed clay off road and >> with RH in the 20-22 range the SC5M even works from the manual as a ON Road racer.

Two of the tracks I race at have a SC class or IF it doesn't fit any other class you race it in GT / Autocross class.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

So does this make sense? Our indoor track is Ozite and my son's SC5M was setup pretty well for the track. However after experiencing improvement using the 3 gear transmission in my T5M and other people recommending trying it in the SC5M, I went ahead and put one in my sons SC. Well it was horrible. I didn't change anything but going from 4 gear to 3 gear. The problem was that the SC would be snap loose or traction roll. It went from easy to drive with the 4 gear, to a handfull with the 3 gear. SC is open class so he has a 10.5 in it so the difference in acceleration between the two was negligible. After a few batteries and playing with roll center, it still had bad traction roll . So I put the 4 gear back in and it drove easily again. It seem counter intuitive to me that on a high traction surface, with no other changes that the 3 gear would cause such bad drive-ability. My guess would be due to weight transfer and having the big body on the top. The change to the 3 Gear in the T5M was a positive one though. It just seems odd to me, I guess it needed some other adjustments at the same time as the transmission swap.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gigasipke
It seem counter intuitive to me that on a high traction surface, with no other changes that the 3 gear would cause such bad drive-ability. My guess would be due to weight transfer and having the big body on the top. The change to the 3 Gear in the T5M was a positive one though. It just seems odd to me, I guess it needed some other adjustments at the same time as the transmission swap.
That's pretty interesting, I will have to give this a try on mine the next time I am at the track. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

So does this make sense? Our indoor track is Ozite and my son's SC5M was setup pretty well for the track. However after experiencing improvement using the 3 gear transmission in my T5M and other people recommending trying it in the SC5M, I went ahead and put one in my sons SC. Well it was horrible. I didn't change anything but going from 4 gear to 3 gear. The problem was that the SC would be snap loose or traction roll. It went from easy to drive with the 4 gear, to a handfull with the 3 gear. SC is open class so he has a 10.5 in it so the difference in acceleration between the two was negligible. After a few batteries and playing with roll center, it still had bad traction roll . So I put the 4 gear back in and it drove easily again. It seem counter intuitive to me that on a high traction surface, with no other changes that the 3 gear would cause such bad drive-ability. My guess would be due to weight transfer and having the big body on the top. The change to the 3 Gear in the T5M was a positive one though. It just seems odd to me, I guess it needed some other adjustments at the same time as the transmission swap.
Interesting.. I found just the opposite to be true running on a large indoor med/high bite clay. When I went to 3 gear, no more traction rolling, no more ridiculous wheelies, better braking and faster corner speed. The only setup change I did was move the rear hubs forward for 3 gear.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

My 3 gear SC5m is hooked up - Question: what ride height are you running with in your setup? If traction rolling is a issue, it may be too high.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I took my new (to me) SC5M out to the track for the fist time yesterday. I threw my electronics in it but otherwise took it as it was delivered having only set the camber and ride height. I have to say that I was quite impressed. The truck by far exceeded my expectations. My tires were not even close to ideal, the front springs were probably one step on the soft side and I have no idea what pistons or oil is in the shocks yet it was still smooth and reacted well to my inputs. I'm looking forward to racing this thing on Sunday with the right tires and after having setup the shocks with some fresh oil.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by afm223
I took my new (to me) SC5M out to the track for the fist time yesterday. I threw my electronics in it but otherwise took it as it was delivered having only set the camber and ride height. I have to say that I was quite impressed. The truck by far exceeded my expectations. My tires were not even close to ideal, the front springs were probably one step on the soft side and I have no idea what pistons or oil is in the shocks yet it was still smooth and reacted well to my inputs. I'm looking forward to racing this thing on Sunday with the right tires and after having setup the shocks with some fresh oil.
i got mine "used" here - 3 gear, Ti turnbuckles, Electrons, etc... did a fresh JC HF2 body - pretty dialed for parts, but re-built it based on cav's ROAR nats setup and with tekin / 8.5 setup, with focus on buggy only for the past years and am loving driving sct 2wd with this truck. it's a blast. btw, i posted my setup here a page or so back - running 37.5/30 with 1.6/1.7 flat two-hole pistons, 28/26 ride height. 5mm offset cups. nothing crazy, but a tight setup
Old 02-18-2016, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I have one with a 3 gear and one with a 4. I've found the truck is very sensitive to battery, springs, and the rear roll center. Regardless of the trans configuration it seems like if you don't get the springs and rear links set up properly its total poop with either configuration. Because of the width and and wheelbase its pretty easy to push the truck hard once its set up right. Its crazy to use a pro set up unless you drive like a pro. The only one set up tip that I have for anybody is run the grey front springs if you have any traction at all. The stock whites are too soft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.