R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree32Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #1336
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default Ride Height Setting

What is the best way to set ride height?, front arms level and rear bones level or 30mm/28mm. My front arms/rear bones level doesn't equal 30mm/28mm or did I build something wrong?

Ride height is the distance from the ground to the bottom of the chassis.
The standard front ride height setting is with the front arms level
(reffered to as “arms level”) or 30mm (Ride Height Gauge #1449).
Check the ride height by lifting up the entire car about 8-12 inches off the
bench and drop it. After the suspension “settles” into place, measure
ride height (Ride Height Gauge #1449). Raise or lower the shock collars
as necessary so that the left & right arms appear to be level.

The rear ride height setting you should use most often is with the
outdrive, driveshaft, and axles all on the same imaginary horizontal line
(reffered to as “bones level”) or 28mm (Ride Height Gauge#1449).
Check the ride height by lifting up the entire car about 8-12 inches off the
bench and drop it. After the suspension “settles” into place, measure
ride height (Ride Height Gauge #1449). Raise or lower the shock collars
as necessary so that the left & right driveshafts appear to be level.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #1337
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: boars nest
Posts: 76
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

After months of trying to find the sweet spot on my set up I've went from the stock 3+1 to a 3+2 and 45 shock oil up front and 40 in the rear but I think 37.5 would be ok. I've used the 0 offset shock bottoms and ride height of 26 rear and 27.5 front. Grey spring in the front and white rear. I was able to eliminate the use of a brick pack and run a shorty for major weight loss On our high grip clay track with slicks it was great.
bo duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #1338
Tech Apprentice
 
BMOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 64
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

anyone got a good setup for a dusty outdoor track
BMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #1339
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 4,786
Trader Rating: 487 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
anyone got a good setup for a dusty outdoor track
Try the book set up and go 2.5 to 5 lighter on the shock oil, run a brass c mount and if it's really loose, a green (truck) rear spring.
__________________
Now that I've discovered the ignore list I plan to use it.....17 and counting!
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #1340
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I just built an SC5M and have the same ride height issue. It seems odd that it would be off by 6-8mm after following the manual to a tee. My concern is that raising the collars almost all the way up would have some other affect that I do not want.

I asked Associated last night. I'm curious to hear what they say. Did anyone here get a definitive answer why the ride height is so far off? When I built a B5M lite, it did not have this issue.
epounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #1341
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Auburn, CA
Posts: 232
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Are most running the grey front springs for med-high bite clay?
afm223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #1342
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo duke View Post
After months of trying to find the sweet spot on my set up I've went from the stock 3+1 to a 3+2 and 45 shock oil up front and 40 in the rear but I think 37.5 would be ok. I've used the 0 offset shock bottoms and ride height of 26 rear and 27.5 front. Grey spring in the front and white rear. I was able to eliminate the use of a brick pack and run a shorty for major weight loss On our high grip clay track with slicks it was great.
Which shock Pistons? Stock 2x1.5F and 2x1.6R?
darkside91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #1343
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm223 View Post
Are most running the grey front springs for med-high bite clay?
Gray seems pretty popular
darkside91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 AM   #1344
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 529
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epounds View Post
I just built an SC5M and have the same ride height issue. It seems odd that it would be off by 6-8mm after following the manual to a tee. My concern is that raising the collars almost all the way up would have some other affect that I do not want.

I asked Associated last night. I'm curious to hear what they say. Did anyone here get a definitive answer why the ride height is so far off? When I built a B5M lite, it did not have this issue.
Be sure you have the battery in and body on when checking ride height. The stock body weighs over 8oz.
Bartman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #1345
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default slipper - 2 pad

just got a used sc5m with 3 gear and have a few questions. b5m driver here who is ready to mix is up a bit.

truck came with electrons and primes/slicks mounted and pretty fresh - no breather holes punched in tires, wheels only. is that normal with short course wheels?

anybody running the 2-pad slipper? will be running a 8.5 @ 21t/84t.

went through truck last night, setting up based on cav's srs setup - shocks are 1.5 flat pistons/ 1.6 flat rear with 37.5w front / 30w rear using the 5mm cups on all corners with x-rings. all good here i believe, but ride height at 25mm / 23mm ? seems low with 30mm/28mm being pretty standard.

link to Cav's setup sheet - maybe it is not accurate?

here

thanks. looking forward to running some SC.

Last edited by hsp-sandiego; 02-11-2016 at 03:43 PM.
hsp-sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #1346
Moderator
 
bds81175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Litchfield, Minnesota
Posts: 2,744
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

If you are saucing (which I'm assuming you are) you will want to only vent the rim to keep the sauce out of the interior and away from the foam. When I run outside I vent the tire. I've been running the VTS all along on mine and it has worked great. Can't speak on the 2 pad. Different tracks and different drivers might push the ride height down that low. I was tinkering with mine the other day and it definitely mellowed the truck out by dropping the ride height. And it handles the sweeper much better. If you are running on a smooth, high grip track that doesn't have any nasty jump landings or rough sections, lower ride height can be nice.
__________________
Current Racers: AE B6D, Tekno SCT410, Tekno EB48.3
Full Throttle R/C Raceway www.ftrcr.com, Psycho Dog Racing Team, Team Holy Rollers - Greatest RC race team on the planet. Well, at least the team with the best sponsor.
Tekno RC
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #1347
Super Moderator
 
tmail55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny Florida!!!!!
Posts: 3,277
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsp-sandiego View Post
just got a used sc5m with 3 gear and have a few questions. b5m driver here who is ready to mix is up a bit.

truck came with electrons and primes/slicks mounted and pretty fresh - no breather holes punched in tires, wheels only. is that normal with short course wheels?

anybody running the 2-pad slipper? will be running a 8.5 @ 21t/84t.

went through truck last night, setting up based on cav's srs setup - shocks are 1.5 flat pistons/ 1.6 flat rear with 37.5w front / 30w rear using the 5mm cups on all corners with x-rings. all good here i believe, but ride height at 25mm / 23mm ? seems low with 30mm/28mm being pretty standard.

link to Cav's setup sheet - maybe it is not accurate?

here

thanks. looking forward to running some SC.
Ride height can depend on track surface and type of jumps.

The tracks that most pro setups are for are NOT 1/8 scale jumps, most have some kind of sealed/treated surface (calcium, sugar, dirtglue).

Race sealed indoor very high traction with the same Cav's setup with a couple changes to fit me. Also race a medium surface, water treated and use 30/28 RH.

Also race on road with the SC5M (24/22), a track has a SC class.
__________________
Rev. Terrance / Team HOLY Rollers / R/C Tech > R/C Racers 4 Christ
Petit RC / RC WISH / RCTen.com #WeAreAE
I believe the word of God for what it says, not what people want it to say!
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #1348
Super Moderator
 
tmail55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sunny Florida!!!!!
Posts: 3,277
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

bds81175

Took the brick out after two races, raced with a shorty was BETTER!!!!

Tried inline shorty, full rear <<<< LIKE that!!!!!!!

Inline shorty for me is the best of the three!
__________________
Rev. Terrance / Team HOLY Rollers / R/C Tech > R/C Racers 4 Christ
Petit RC / RC WISH / RCTen.com #WeAreAE
I believe the word of God for what it says, not what people want it to say!
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #1349
Moderator
 
bds81175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Litchfield, Minnesota
Posts: 2,744
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Interesting....I ended up swapping to the shorty last time out too. One of the posts in my brick has been breaking free and it finally gave up the ghost. I liked the shorty quite a bit better too. I'll have to try the inline next.
__________________
Current Racers: AE B6D, Tekno SCT410, Tekno EB48.3
Full Throttle R/C Raceway www.ftrcr.com, Psycho Dog Racing Team, Team Holy Rollers - Greatest RC race team on the planet. Well, at least the team with the best sponsor.
Tekno RC
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #1350
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
If you are saucing (which I'm assuming you are) you will want to only vent the rim to keep the sauce out of the interior and away from the foam. When I run outside I vent the tire. I've been running the VTS all along on mine and it has worked great. Can't speak on the 2 pad. Different tracks and different drivers might push the ride height down that low. I was tinkering with mine the other day and it definitely mellowed the truck out by dropping the ride height. And it handles the sweeper much better. If you are running on a smooth, high grip track that doesn't have any nasty jump landings or rough sections, lower ride height can be nice.
cool - yes, saucing. understand ride height changes, although using it's a millimeter or two. will try different ride heights keeping the +2mm front consistent.
hsp-sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:52 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net