R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree34Likes

Old 10-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #946
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Questions?? What to buy in addition to the kit?

I'm going to order my truck tonight and was looking to add all the necessary parts to the order. So my question is what so i need to order besides arms and the stuff for the 3 gear tranny? Looking to get all these parts to build it on initial build. Thanks
Futaba 3PKS
maximuspowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #947
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm still very new. Why do people want the 3 gear transmission instead of the 4?
John Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #948
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ive been looking for hours and trying to figure out this question with the sc5m springs and t5m springs... could I use the same springs with my sc5m that I use on my t5m. I see there are more options for the t5m than the sc5m by using the 9mm shock bottom?
bo duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #949

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

My SC5M has nothing but the brass C mount and is quite fast indoors and outdoors. I haven't tried the 3 gear yet but it would offer reduced friction and rotating mass for the guys running 17.5 motors. I've heard it flies a bit differently as well. The motor will rotate in the opposite direction. I've not tried the T5M springs on mine but there is really no reason why you can't run just about any big bore spring as long as you can find the shock bottom that allows you to get ride height set.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #950
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jstump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass722 View Post
You guys got any opinions on a good servo. Iv had glitching problems with the savox and thinking of trying a different brand. What's working good for the sc5m

I run Airtronics Tx/Rx in all my cars with savox 1251 and 1258 with no issues buy yourself a $10 BEC
jstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #951
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo duke View Post
ive been looking for hours and trying to figure out this question with the sc5m springs and t5m springs... could I use the same springs with my sc5m that I use on my t5m. I see there are more options for the t5m than the sc5m by using the 9mm shock bottom?
Yes the new truck springs will work on both the t5m and sc5m. You have to use the shorter lower spring retainers on the t5m as the truck springs are a little longer. Am running truck springs on both of mine.

Mugen Seiki/Yokomo Usa/Protek/Amain/R1 Wurks/Flashpoint/KW Raceway
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #952
mes
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent View Post
I'm still very new. Why do people want the 3 gear transmission instead of the 4?
I use it in my T5M on astro as I prefer how the truck jumps with it. It seems to fly more level and not react as much to throttle/brake inputs.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #953
Tech Adept

So i got everything built from kit exept esc and motor i run mostly 17.5 blinky but some mod. Ive been out of the sport for 2yrs do to work but im back now. Whats are u guys having the best luck with motor and esc wise. I know this is more electronic ? But im looking for more of a specific answer for this truck.i everyone has differnt opinions butis it worth spending all that money for the orion and just cause its the most is it the best. Anyone running that reedy blackbox, or whats the latest tekin. I had a lot of luck with the rs pro but it seem they got all new stuff. And with the mid motor and me running the 4gear trans make me want to go a certain way motor wise. Any opinions would help
cbass722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #954
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass722 View Post
So i got everything built from kit exept esc and motor i run mostly 17.5 blinky but some mod. Ive been out of the sport for 2yrs do to work but im back now. Whats are u guys having the best luck with motor and esc wise. I know this is more electronic ? But im looking for more of a specific answer for this truck.i everyone has differnt opinions butis it worth spending all that money for the orion and just cause its the most is it the best. Anyone running that reedy blackbox, or whats the latest tekin. I had a lot of luck with the rs pro but it seem they got all new stuff. And with the mid motor and me running the 4gear trans make me want to go a certain way motor wise. Any opinions would help
Go with the tekin. They are good quality esc's. Their support is good as well. For the motor go with the team powers. I only run this brand. Their motors are insane. You can get them from amainhobbies.com. you will not be disappointed.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #955

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

cbass, you are correct, you are going to get a lot of opinions on different brands. There are plenty of good brands out there for both ESC and motor. You will hear that Orion ESC's are simply rebranded Hobbywing's and to a certain degree that is true. I've heard a lot of good things about Tekin, Orion, Hobbywing, even Viper (good luck getting one at this point). There is a guy at our track that swears by Speed Passion and can back it up with results. I've got a new Reedy Mach3 17.5 short stack in my B5M that is AMAZING. I have never run 17.5 in short course though. You can also look for some smaller brands or local guys. I have heard decent things about SMC motors which are quite a bit cheaper. There is also a fella out of Wisconsin selling motors and lipos under the brand Motiv that look really nice. I'm going to be giving those a try when I need something new. Try to find at least one local that can talk to you about their personal experience with a brand.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #956
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Honest opinions for a racer on a budget:

Is the SC5M worth the cost over a dialed in SC10.2? I'm on medium bite tight indoor track with many 180's and the 10.2 is doing fine. I'm after a "set it and forget" all-purpose setup. Is the SC5M really going to be better in this regard than the SC10.2? Please only respond if you have experience with both trucks. Thank you!
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #957
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Honest opinions for a racer on a budget:

Is the SC5M worth the cost over a dialed in SC10.2? I'm on medium bite tight indoor track with many 180's and the 10.2 is doing fine. I'm after a "set it and forget" all-purpose setup. Is the SC5M really going to be better in this regard than the SC10.2? Please only respond if you have experience with both trucks. Thank you!
I went from a SC10.2 to the new SC5m and I feel there is a big difference. In my opinion(yes, it's just my opinion) The truck is easier to drive and much more forgiving than the 10.2. My 2cents hope it helps.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #958
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent View Post
I prefer the 3 gear as it doesn't transfer the weight up front in a corner and makes the back end loose. This allows me to charge into a corner harder, even with a bit of brakes. Also the 3 gear won't push as much on acceleration out of the corner vs the 4 gear.

4 gear is better on tighter technical indoor tracks. I prefer the 3 gear on bigger more flowing tracks.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #959
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSPEED View Post
Go with the tekin. They are good quality esc's. Their support is good as well. For the motor go with the team powers. I only run this brand. Their motors are insane. You can get them from amainhobbies.com. you will not be disappointed.
What tekin esc is the best for blinky and mod
cbass722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #960
1M
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Depends on motor you plan to run in modified, the RS Gen2 has a Motor Limit 2S: 8.5 Turn 2-pole is very good in blinky

Anything lower turn you will need a RSX
1M is offline   Reply With Quote