R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree28Likes

Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #871
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Is the savox 1258 which carries 166oz torque enough for a sct? I run the 57 in my buggy but wasn't sure about in a sct
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #872

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
Is the savox 1258 which carries 166oz torque enough for a sct? I run the 57 in my buggy but wasn't sure about in a sct
Yup. My son actually ran a 1257 in his for a while without too many problems.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #873
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock View Post
Hey everyone. Just got my sc5m built and set up for stock racing. Wanted to get everyone's opinion. I have a tekin gen 1 17.5 (for now) and I have 69/30 in it now. Seems to be a sweet spot for my track.what is everyone else using? Also I've read some setup sheets and they say a ride height of 23-25mm. Is that ryt? My shocks are threaded all the way up and fully ready to go mine sits at 35. I can't get it any lower. It has jconcepts wheels with primes. What's the deal? Thanks for any (positive) inputs. ��

23-25 is buggy ride height. Make sure you are looking at a SC5M setup sheet.
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #874
Tech Initiate

Exactly. I have a b5m and. T5m. And that's around whT I run them at. It's a sc5m sheet. I'm thinking its a misprint. Has too be.
Polock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #875
Tech Apprentice

I use the 0mm offset spring cups with more internal shock limiters (so the spring isn't loose) to get my ride height lower.
islandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #876
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Polock, do you have the correct spring cups (5mm) on your shocks?
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #877

Yeah, 23-25mm is pretty low for a short course truck but you should be able to get there with the box setup. Typically you are going to run 28-30mm unless the grip is really high and the track is pretty smooth.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #878

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandscott View Post
I use the 0mm offset spring cups with more internal shock limiters (so the spring isn't loose) to get my ride height lower.
You don't really want to add limiters to keep the spring from being loose. Limiters alter weight transfer pretty drastically by reducing droop.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #879
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
You don't really want to add limiters to keep the spring from being loose. Limiters alter weight transfer pretty drastically by reducing droop.
It's the same droop whether I screw the spring collar down or add limiters to take up the spring slack. Droop in only the difference between static ride height and full shock extension ride height.

When switching to 0mm spring cups it lowers the ride height by 5mm and increases droop by 5mm (gravity supplies some of this droop as the spring is now loose). You can return droop to normal two ways: raise the ride height to stock by screwing down the spring collar, or keep the lower ride height and add limiters.

I race on high traction carpet, so a lower ride height means less traction rolling.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #880

Droop is not the difference between static ride height and full shock extension ride height. Droop is how far the wheel can drop relative to the chassis or the amount the chassis is able to lift. If you are adding limiters to the inside of the shock under the piston you are altering ride height and altering the amount of weight transfer front to rear and side to side. Switching spring cups does nothing to droop. Am I missing something in your communication?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #881
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
Switching spring cups does nothing to droop.
Sure it does. If you change nothing else and switch from 5mm to 0mm cups, you are removing 5mm of spring preload and adding 5mm of droop in the process.

I like this explanation from rccaraction:
"Let’s say that your sedan’s chassis is 5mm off the ground at rest. You lift up on the chassis, and at a height of 10mm the wheels leave the ground. This means you have a 5mm ride height and 5mm of droop. Easy.
You want to reduce the amount of droop your car has, so you make an adjustment to limit the downtravel of your suspension by 1mm. The ride height of your car remains 5mm, but now as you lift up on your car the tires leave the ground when the chassis is at 9mm, which gives you 4mm of droop. So far so good.
You now decide that you want to raise the ride height of your car, so you add 3mm of preload to the shock springs. Your car now has an 8mm ride height. So far so good, right? You lift up on the chassis, and because of the downtravel adjustment you just made, the wheels again leave the ground at a height of 9mm. But wait… That means you now only have 1mm of droop. Clearly then, both preload and downtravel are unique and independent settings, but both affect droop."

In their example, they are adding preload and reducing droop. By changing to shorter cups, I am doing the opposite.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #882
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandscott View Post
Sure it does. If you change nothing else and switch from 5mm to 0mm cups, you are removing 5mm of spring preload and adding 5mm of droop in the process.

I like this explanation from rccaraction:
"Let’s say that your sedan’s chassis is 5mm off the ground at rest. You lift up on the chassis, and at a height of 10mm the wheels leave the ground. This means you have a 5mm ride height and 5mm of droop. Easy.
You want to reduce the amount of droop your car has, so you make an adjustment to limit the downtravel of your suspension by 1mm. The ride height of your car remains 5mm, but now as you lift up on your car the tires leave the ground when the chassis is at 9mm, which gives you 4mm of droop. So far so good.
You now decide that you want to raise the ride height of your car, so you add 3mm of preload to the shock springs. Your car now has an 8mm ride height. So far so good, right? You lift up on the chassis, and because of the downtravel adjustment you just made, the wheels again leave the ground at a height of 9mm. But wait… That means you now only have 1mm of droop. Clearly then, both preload and downtravel are unique and independent settings, but both affect droop."

In their example, they are adding preload and reducing droop. By changing to shorter cups, I am doing the opposite.
you are miss understanding the concept. ride height is not droop. your limiters change the droop. the spring cups do not
Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #883
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
you are miss understanding the concept. ride height is not droop. your limiters change the droop. the spring cups do not
Correct, droop is not ride height, but changing ride height usually affects droop. Change the ride height by changing spring preload, length or stiffness and you have changed droop. Shorter cups is EXACTLY the same change as taking out spring preload.

Droop is just not how far the arms droop down. It's the ride height difference between 'at rest' and lifting the chassis until just before the tires come off the ground. There is a relationship between ride height and droop, and other factors like limiters.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #884
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When you add internal spacers you are limiting total travel (and droop), when you change preload you are not
xyzracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #885
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzracer View Post
When you add internal spacers you are limiting total travel (and droop), when you change preload you are not
If you were to preload the shocks enough that they were at full extension when the car is sitting there (shocks do not compress under chassis weight), you would have zero droop. So how has preload not affected droop?
Agreed regarding the internal shock limiters.

I think there is some confusion what droop is. Here are some links showing how to measure droop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYVcEPO3FME
Measuring DROOP and RIDE HEIGHT?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQt6...-racing-_free/
http://vrcmag.com/adjust-droop-with-jq-racing-_free/